PSegnatelli

Bare Min tackle.

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm tryin to lighten my load. 

Whats the bare min you carry when walkin the beach?  

I'm not a fan of plug bags. I don't throw plugs all that much. 

So far I have a chest mounted bag. A tiny plano of snaps, swivels, beads, hooks.    Another small tackle box with some bare jigs, few tins & a couple bucktails. Few packs of plastics.   Pliers, hone stone & lip gripper.  Leader spool.  

I plan on keeping more tackle in the car and swap as needed. 

So far my heaviest item is water @ 4lbs+   I need to drink alot of water to keep me from a lactic acid buildup.  So thats a non negotiating item.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

In the past, I would carry only 4 Charlie Graves Tins, 1 Bazooka Tube, belt mounted. Pliers. Boga Grip. Leader Wallet and Maybe a few other metals in the Tins pouch. 1 Electric Upperman Bucktail (I usually pick one between 3/4 oz and 3 oz depending on wind, tide & current) and one Smilin' Bill Bucktail, usually tied full (all in Tins pouch) and 1 can of White Rinds (5"). Sometimes I add a second Tube if large bait may or may not be around. 

In the single Tube, I could rotate plugs of interest. I normally rotate a Super Strike Sinking Little Neck, a Sinking Stubby Bullet or Needlefish, a Mambo or Bomber or SP Minnow or X-Rap or Red-Fin Shad, a Glider, a Spook, definitely a Metal Lip and a Darter and usually a Soft Plastic of some sort (which I carry in a heavy plastic rectangular zip lock bag, usually stuffed somewhere in a small soft cooler which also has water and or a cold beverage sometimes). 

This was the best way I found to travel light, but carrying enough water and or "other beverages" to last a full day on the beach makes it necessary to bring a backpack and at that point, the whole idea of walking a beach becomes A LOT less desireable. I needed a better solution and I knew it. 

I went to a beach dolly two years ago and I LOVE it!! It's a Wheel-Eez folding Dolly with nice big tires and now I use a single rectangular milk crate with four hommade rod holders mounted on it (using pvc pipe with drilled caps and couplers to cushion the reels) The milk crate has Industrial sized downspout in it (2"x3") wihch is excellent for hanging plugs - I cut the downspout about 2" shy of the top of the crate, so it's ice and recessed and the noses of the larger plugs don't stick up.

Then, I zip tied them to the crate, so that they angle backwards (away from me when I'm pulling the dolly) at a 45-degree angle. They stick straight up when I'm walking but when I rest the dolly, the rods point backwards. 

I also fitted each crate with home sewn sailcloth liners (like a plug bag) with drainage grommets, so if a plug does become dislodged, the tail of the plug cant dangle beneath the crate at all (through the holes). I can also throw odds and ends into the crates without worrying about them diappearing.

62af67a541890_Screenshot2022-06-192_10_48PM.png.b0154ca7ffd14c5f32e423a402781d65.png

Now I can walk miles and I'm TONS more comfortable when fishing.

My surf belt has pliers and a boga grip - that's it!  This method is WAY easier on my back, which was killing me every time out, no matter how lighly I traveled.

Now, I'm very comfortable and I can cover serious ground without getting tired at all. I find I need to sit down from time to time so I bring a folding camping chair and it fits in a large, circular tube that you can order from Wheel-eez. It mounts to the inside of the cart. (picture from their website) ((Don't put fishing rods in this storage cylender btw, they'll point forward and you'll step on them as you pull the cart - what happens is the dolly tilts at a 45 degree angle while you're walking))

62af722e8df8f_Screenshot2022-06-192_59_04PM.png.61b168c62d667ad5f9e2c582630c7365.png

The dolly tilts on an axis and you just have to balance it as you walk. It's super easy an it makes carrying addional weight a snap. It's a lot like walking a golf course with your clubs on a rolling bag caddy - the only difference is that the Weel-eez beach cart rolls a hell of a lot more easily. The tires are awesome. It takes almost no effort to walk with the Dolly. 

I can stop, go, fish, switch rods, grab a different plug, sit down, eat lunch, have a beer..etc. The dolly makes staying out all day REALLY easy and I can cover way more ground now becasue my back is no longer sore and I can sit in the chair as needed which really helps. 

I have a Small soft cooler on top of the rectangular crate and this is a massive reason to go with a Dolly. Now I have surplus gear with me, plenty of water and snacks..etc.

Wheel Eez makes the best Dolly I've seen. If curious to explore, I highly recommend checking out their videos. Not all dollies are created equal by the way. Weel Eez dollies are really well thought out. 

Sometimes I even carry a second Milk Crate (they're stackable) with bug repellant, rain gear, a zipping hoodie and whatever else I want to bring. It goes on the bottom, the plug crate goes on top. In the plug crate, I can also set that up however I like each time out. Sometimes I might have a plano box full of soft plastics..etc. 

Normally If I'm really set up with all guns to bare, I bring a Pencil Rod (12' 6"), a Standard Spinning Surf Rod (10'6"), A lightweight plastics rod 9 1/2" and my standard Conventional Rod which I fish with most of the time (10'6").

I can also dedicate half a crate to plugs and use the other half for fly-fishing gear so I also have a cordura fly rod tube with a screw top cap zip-tied to the lure-crate. I can easily bring a stripping basket, a FlyBox (zip lock sleeves), a fly reel and two spools and some other fly-fishing Knicknacks packed in the crate. 

62af722cb59a2_Screenshot2022-06-192_59_28PM.png.925a228057e8d4248b6bf23e1039332f.png

Edited by CaryGreene

Thats a pretty sweet cart.  

Mine is a home modded folding shopping cart I snagged from a trash heap.   Put some wheel barrow tires on it and snagged some advertising signs from the trash for sides & bottom. 1613440810955.jpg.90046e60cfbdd530c581addaaa42f876.jpg

Why not use a backpack?  You throw pretty much all your tackle, terminal stuff and say 3 water bottles in it.  If your gonna use your car as a “locker” water on ice is much nicer then a warm gallon.  A chest bag seams like a hassle and your options for what your gonna carry are limited.  Your hands are free to fish no tackle boxes, bags to swing around and gallon containers to carry. If you have health issues then getting to far away from your car can be a hazard to you especially on a hot day or night. Just a few thoughts. 

Edited by Mark L

I used to use a back pack. But my shoulders are wrecked.  So multiple on and off does nothing good.  

With my chest pack & hydration bladder. They're connected.  So I can pop my head thru the middle like an oxen wearing a yoke, clip the buckles together and it's on.    I also use it for other things that I carry too as I rarely wear more than a bathing suit and cut off t shirt.   

The water thing kinda sucks. It's a side effect of my meds but I have to deal with it.  I'm not even thirsty. But as I exert myself, any lactic acid accrues in my kidneys.  If I feel my lower back start to ache I have to chug as much water as I can to flush it out.    So it doesn't matter if it's warm or cold.  I prefer warmer.  Just easier to stomach.   

I really miss the days that I could walk & explore 10miles of shoreline or woods. 

23 hours ago, CaryGreene said:

In the past, I would carry only 4 Charlie Graves Tins, 1 Bazooka Tube, belt mounted. Pliers. Boga Grip. Leader Wallet and Maybe a few other metals in the Tins pouch. 1 Electric Upperman Bucktail (I usually pick one between 3/4 oz and 3 oz depending on wind, tide & current) and one Smilin' Bill Bucktail, usually tied full (all in Tins pouch) and 1 can of White Rinds (5"). Sometimes I add a second Tube if large bait may or may not be around. 

In the single Tube, I could rotate plugs of interest. I normally rotate a Super Strike Sinking Little Neck, a Sinking Stubby Bullet or Needlefish, a Mambo or Bomber or SP Minnow or X-Rap or Red-Fin Shad, a Glider, a Spook, definitely a Metal Lip and a Darter and usually a Soft Plastic of some sort (which I carry in a heavy plastic rectangular zip lock bag, usually stuffed somewhere in a small soft cooler which also has water and or a cold beverage sometimes). 

This was the best way I found to travel light, but carrying enough water and or "other beverages" to last a full day on the beach makes it necessary to bring a backpack and at that point, the whole idea of walking a beach becomes A LOT less desireable. I needed a better solution and I knew it. 

I went to a beach dolly two years ago and I LOVE it!! It's a Wheel-Eez folding Dolly with nice big tires and now I use a single rectangular milk crate with four hommade rod holders mounted on it (using pvc pipe with drilled caps and couplers to cushion the reels) The milk crate has Industrial sized downspout in it (2"x3") wihch is excellent for hanging plugs - I cut the downspout about 2" shy of the top of the crate, so it's ice and recessed and the noses of the larger plugs don't stick up.

Then, I zip tied them to the crate, so that they angle backwards (away from me when I'm pulling the dolly) at a 45-degree angle. They stick straight up when I'm walking but when I rest the dolly, the rods point backwards. 

I also fitted each crate with home sewn sailcloth liners (like a plug bag) with drainage grommets, so if a plug does become dislodged, the tail of the plug cant dangle beneath the crate at all (through the holes). I can also throw odds and ends into the crates without worrying about them diappearing.

62af67a541890_Screenshot2022-06-192_10_48PM.png.b0154ca7ffd14c5f32e423a402781d65.png

Now I can walk miles and I'm TONS more comfortable when fishing.

My surf belt has pliers and a boga grip - that's it!  This method is WAY easier on my back, which was killing me every time out, no matter how lighly I traveled.

Now, I'm very comfortable and I can cover serious ground without getting tired at all. I find I need to sit down from time to time so I bring a folding camping chair and it fits in a large, circular tube that you can order from Wheel-eez. It mounts to the inside of the cart. (picture from their website) ((Don't put fishing rods in this storage cylender btw, they'll point forward and you'll step on them as you pull the cart - what happens is the dolly tilts at a 45 degree angle while you're walking))

62af722e8df8f_Screenshot2022-06-192_59_04PM.png.61b168c62d667ad5f9e2c582630c7365.png

The dolly tilts on an axis and you just have to balance it as you walk. It's super easy an it makes carrying addional weight a snap. It's a lot like walking a golf course with your clubs on a rolling bag caddy - the only difference is that the Weel-eez beach cart rolls a hell of a lot more easily. The tires are awesome. It takes almost no effort to walk with the Dolly. 

I can stop, go, fish, switch rods, grab a different plug, sit down, eat lunch, have a beer..etc. The dolly makes staying out all day REALLY easy and I can cover way more ground now becasue my back is no longer sore and I can sit in the chair as needed which really helps. 

I have a Small soft cooler on top of the rectangular crate and this is a massive reason to go with a Dolly. Now I have surplus gear with me, plenty of water and snacks..etc.

Wheel Eez makes the best Dolly I've seen. If curious to explore, I highly recommend checking out their videos. Not all dollies are created equal by the way. Weel Eez dollies are really well thought out. 

Sometimes I even carry a second Milk Crate (they're stackable) with bug repellant, rain gear, a zipping hoodie and whatever else I want to bring. It goes on the bottom, the plug crate goes on top. In the plug crate, I can also set that up however I like each time out. Sometimes I might have a plano box full of soft plastics..etc. 

Normally If I'm really set up with all guns to bare, I bring a Pencil Rod (12' 6"), a Standard Spinning Surf Rod (10'6"), A lightweight plastics rod 9 1/2" and my standard Conventional Rod which I fish with most of the time (10'6").

I can also dedicate half a crate to plugs and use the other half for fly-fishing gear so I also have a cordura fly rod tube with a screw top cap zip-tied to the lure-crate. I can easily bring a stripping basket, a FlyBox (zip lock sleeves), a fly reel and two spools and some other fly-fishing Knicknacks packed in the crate. 

62af722cb59a2_Screenshot2022-06-192_59_28PM.png.925a228057e8d4248b6bf23e1039332f.png

Carey, how would those wheels hold up on a dirt road with intermittent rocks strewn about? I know of a spot that's quite a walk to get to and that cart looks perfect for that trip.  

4 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

Carey, how would those wheels hold up on a dirt road with intermittent rocks strewn about? I know of a spot that's quite a walk to get to and that cart looks perfect for that trip.  

Great. Watch the videos on the wheels and how they're made. I plow through all sorts of fields and paths with the dolly. Very durable wheels. 

9 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Great. Watch the videos on the wheels and how they're made. I plow through all sorts of fields and paths with the dolly. Very durable wheels. 

Awesome thanks bud!:howdy:

3 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

Awesome thanks bud!:howdy:

Any time! Finding beaches to drive on during the summer is tough, so the Dolly is a way to stay out all night and bring extra essential gear. The other night, I had Tinker Mackerel on the beach, running parallel to it. It was a full moon tide and also high tide. In the past I might have been caught unprepared, but my Dolly Crate has all the bases covered. I was over a mile from the parking lot too. Inside the crate, I had a whole sleeve of commercial downspout dedicated to Mackerel plugs. 

Wound up that they wanted the Green Mackerel Stubby Needle, slow and steady, cast parallel to the beach. No problem! After the action moved further out on the drop, I stayed on them with a West-Coast Mackrel Surface Iron. 

Then, I sat down and had a beer and got ready for sun up pencils - and was able to draw out a 3oz Left Hook Raptor in a Mackrel Pattern. They wouldn't touch it on the surface, but I Jigged it and caught 4 more nice fish. Used the 12'6' rod for extra distance. 

So there I was, kind of grossly "over-prepared" and even able to sit and rest in the dark. Didn't see a single fisherman all night. Had a thermos full of hot coffee and a nice PB&J sandwich on fresh baked farm-style bread that my neighbor makes for me every now and then. I rested for about an hour. Low tide required wading out and throwing really long "bombs." 

Having access to multiple rods, plugs, food, coffee and most importantly- a chair, made it possible for me comfortably stay out where in the past, doing that would have kicked my ass a bit - not that I mind that, but this was a lot easier. 

One improvement that could be made to this cart is to make the handle offset, so it curves off to one side of the cart. I'm tall (6'5"and I take big steps so I have to be mindful of where the cart is). It would be easier if the cart was off to the side a bit, like a golf bag caddy is designed. 

I thought about booby-rigging a golf cart caddy, wouldn't be hard out in the shop. Just swap out the wheels, install the axle and remake the frame. I may experiment this winter. 

If you do go with a Weel Eez cart, you will likely be pretty impressed. Don't get a knock off - the wheels are crap. The Weel-eez carts are very well thought out in too many ways to list but the videos show all about the thought that goes into them. 

Finally had enough juice to go out today. Got covid and it wasn't awful except for the fatigue.  I had to quit just as the sun was setting or I was gonna hit the danger zone.  

@Mark L ur right about the chest pack.  PITA. Freshwater it doesn't bother me at all.  But the longer butt on the sw rod hung up on every cast.    So I think I'll just go back to my plug bag & wear the hydro pack. Then put my wallet, phone and keys in ziplocks and stuff them into the pack. 

12 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Finally had enough juice to go out today. Got covid and it wasn't awful except for the fatigue.  I had to quit just as the sun was setting or I was gonna hit the danger zone.  

@Mark L ur right about the chest pack.  PITA. Freshwater it doesn't bother me at all.  But the longer butt on the sw rod hung up on every cast.    So I think I'll just go back to my plug bag & wear the hydro pack. Then put my wallet, phone and keys in ziplocks and stuff them into the pack. 

One never knows till they try.  I tried a backpack fly fishing, not happening. I wanted to try caring a extra spool, fly box, water and few small things.  Didn’t work for me it got in the way when two hand retrieving line.  Back to a bucktail pouch for my fly box and water bottle holder all on my surf belt.  Good to here your feeling better from covid. 

One thing new I tried and liked is small zip lock bags for terminal tackle.  I tend to buy in bulk and always drop small boxes. 

I'd much rather drop a dimebag w/ 6 swivels than dump a box of everything. 

I bought a bundle from a guy at the flea market.  About 3x3 and perfect for a few hooks, swivels & snaps.  Lay flat and unobtrusive.  I even stuck some tins in them. All single hooks no trebels. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

If luring then bare minimum (the usual) for me is one rod, a bag with a couple of hardbody lures (popper, shallow minnow), 2-3 bucktails, a ziploc bag with 6 lengths of precut mono leader, nailcutters for retying and a hook sharpener. I also prefer to take needlenose pliers, headlamp and a knife because my family and I like to eat fish and I prefer to bleed them.

If bait fishing then I take a soft cooler with ice and fresh bait in ziploc bags, knife, a couple of sinkers and a handful of pretied leaders in bags. Just one rod that I hold so no stakes necessary. Headlamp at night.

I drink at the car before I take off but if really hot I may take a juice box with me. If I had to guzzle water for medical reasons like yourself then it'd be a camelbak for sure.

Edited by BobBarker

I'm going on a death march this weekend. I'll be packing light, but my problem will be on how much water to take. Should I chug water before I have to hoof it to minimize the amount of water that I have to carry? Do I take a lot of water and drink it as I go? Do I take a ton of water with me and drop a bottle here and there so I can rehydrate on the way back? I just don't want to have to deal with cramps if I don't drink enough water on my trip. Oh and just so you know getting old sucks.:huh:

How much do u usually drink? 

I can blow thru a gallon in no time at all.    

When I hiked more I used to use the half gallon usgi square canteens with shoulder strap.  Sometimes I would link 2 together with a S-biner. 

IMO,  I'd rather carry water than lead. 

284602095986-0__37653.1643921505.jpg.4e44e3fe7efcfb92d8ca6378fbf41867.jpg

Edited by PSegnatelli