gregory m

Baitcaster, what am i looking for?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

looking for a baitcaster that has some backbone for bass fishing in grassy areas… i am new to baitcasting but want something that has the ability to pull bass put of some hairy situations, if a spinning rod would work just as good lmk i guess? But anyways someone in my area has a facebook marketplace posting of a lot of rods, so i might go check it out in the coming days. Any recommendations on what to look for? I was thinking a heavy action 7’ baitcaster, but if i am in over my head or you think i should be looking for something else drop a comment

8 hours ago, gregory m said:

Hey everyone,

looking for a baitcaster that has some backbone for bass fishing in grassy areas… i am new to baitcasting but want something that has the ability to pull bass put of some hairy situations, if a spinning rod would work just as good lmk i guess? But anyways someone in my area has a facebook marketplace posting of a lot of rods, so i might go check it out in the coming days. Any recommendations on what to look for? I was thinking a heavy action 7’ baitcaster, but if i am in over my head or you think i should be looking for something else drop a comment

We are taking freshwater correct? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

We are taking freshwater correct? 

Yes. It would be mainly for largemouth bass fishing in lakes. Probably 60 lb braid

Edited by gregory m

A 10-17lb MH rod is a good general purpose rod but if you're going to be fishing in grass, then a Heavy rod might be warranted as you mentioned.  60lb braid is overkill for LMB fishing though.

I have Shimano Curado's 300 DSV super smooth and tough, I have also used them for striper fishing but ,not when I expect 30+ lbers .wishful thinking theses days.  They are a low profile baicaster LMB fisherman use them a lot.

Lot of it has to do with the rod you used. You should be able to pole vault a 2lb bass right out of the water with your rod. Frog rod, flipping rod.  For the reel, strong drag with a heavy duty gear train so you won't wear it out after one season. Straight braid to lure with no leader.

27 mins ago, hobobob said:

Lot of it has to do with the rod you used. You should be able to pole vault a 2lb bass right out of the water with your rod. Frog rod, flipping rod.  For the reel, strong drag with a heavy duty gear train so you won't wear it out after one season. Straight braid to lure with no leader.

No leader at all??? Wont the braid be too visible? 

Ok, another question. Rods and reels are quite expensive, but I do have a spinning setup with 35 lb braid and an 8 foot rod. It definitely wouldnt be sensitive enough to feel the fish much, but it could work. Would that be good instead of a baitcaster? Or could i just pair the heavy reel with a lighter rod? (Or i would probably need more power out of the rod right?)

Edited by gregory m

Most of heavy punching/flipping setups I have seen are  rods in the 7'6 and up. Baitcasters with high speed 8:1 reels to get them out of the junk faster before they can bury themselves.. $100 reels with metal frames and brass gears like Lews or Shimano slx would probably do the job. Straight braid for punching or frogs. Double palomar  Use moss green or carry a black majic marker.

15 hours ago, gregory m said:

Yes. It would be mainly for largemouth bass fishing in lakes. Probably 60 lb braid

That breaks at 126 pounds.

I use my snakehead setup on the Potomac and it's tribs for flip pitch punch as well.  Daiwa 19 Zillion TW HD with a ALX Enox rod similar to their Brawler.  It's got some moderate tip bend but great sensitivity but man does it have backbone think its lure rating tops out @ 3oz so it's got some meat but it's not a broomstick. It weird to explain.

Depends if your gonna be doing heavy punching and if the grass is mat and wood snags etc.  For standard grass flip and pitch a rod 7' - 7'6".  (Your hieght can come into play.)   Falcon Super Duty 7'5", Dobyns 765 Flip, MB perfect pitch, ALX Zolo Toadface (is an awesome rod that can do flip pitch, frog, etc. Easily their most famous rod and fantastic company.)  If you want a flip and punch that's not as premium the ALX IKOS Thunder ($159) has serious backbone but a bit more tip flex but still sensitive. ½ the cost of their top Enox line. Between it and the toadface is the Zolo Brawler.

For reels IMO you  want a larger reel that has a deeper spool compared to all the shallow spool tiny framed that seems the current fad.  You want a high retrieve rate usually means 7:1 up 8:1 is very popular ratio and brass/bronze gears .  Lews Super Duty 300 8.3:1 is quite popular and as its tad older model can be had under $200.

In the $100 range you have the Quantum Accurist.  Plenty lock down drag, line capacity, etc.

For line 60lb braid for abrasion resistance not the break strength.  In areas with wood snags I have seen the pros go up to 80lb even.  Remember the fuller the reel stays the higher the line/inch retrieve.

Of course a spinner can work but IMO, baitcasters really excel for this.

Edited by RiverShoulders

On 6/19/2022 at 0:23 AM, gregory m said:

Hey everyone,

What is your location?