TLap21

Fish ID?

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I’m not looking to “win” anything, I’m just trying to help preserve and protect the sport I love. I know better than anyone else where the hearts of the council members lie. But there are some who are interested in helping recreational fishermen. We just have to pick our battles. The expansion of the recreational cod fishing season was a win for recreational fishermen, and there will be others.

PLEASE we all know who is in charge. The council is a clown show for commercial interests.let's have a meeting and maybe even ask for opinions and then we will do what we want anyway. Sounds good. Sure.

Time flies

i remember when is was 18 cents a pound   Bluefish was a nickel a pound.    
One day we went around Sankaty head and for 3 miles there was a line of bluefish and the Capt..Bud Henderson- on the Little Darlin wouldn’t stop for them.  We went on to the Old Man rip.  We did get a boat full of Stripers.   

13 hours ago, z-man said:

Oh wow, what a win. 6 weeks of fishing with a 1 fish limit. Two of those weeks being the beginning of April when almost no one has their boat in the water and the weather is terrible. 

Would you rather it remained closed?

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

It wouldn’t make much difference. No one is going to target them at only 1 fish. They may keep one as bycatch but that’s about it. Meanwhile what can the comms keep?

Just now, z-man said:

It wouldn’t make much difference. No one is going to target them at only 1 fish. They may keep one as bycatch but that’s about it. Meanwhile what can the comms keep?

The commercial fishermen avoid them like the plague. If they catch too many cod they get shut down for the season. Cod is a “choke” species for the commercials.

5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

It’s a joke and you touting it as a victory shows how out of touch you are with your “fellow” fisherman. If it’s shut down for us it should be closed for all. Period. Till I can go out and keep my share they shouldn’t be able to sell what we’ve been sacrificing for. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The commercial fishermen avoid them like the plague. If they catch too many cod they get shut down for the season. Cod is a “choke” species for the commercials.

But they are still getting caught and killed. How many?

The average rec guy might fish once a week for those 4 open weeks in September if the weather is decent and keep a whopping 4 fish. 
4 fish in an entire year!!!

Edited by z-man

1 hour ago, giggyfish said:

It’s a joke and you touting it as a victory shows how out of touch you are with your “fellow” fisherman. If it’s shut down for us it should be closed for all. Period. Till I can go out and keep my share they shouldn’t be able to sell what we’ve been sacrificing for. 

Thank you for demonstrating how ignorant many recreational fishermen are with respect to fisheries management. We, recreational fishermen have been “sacrificing” nothing when it comes to codfish. We have been catching “our” share of the cod total allowable catch through the mortality of released cod fish in the haddock fishery. ( did you even know that recreationals receive an allocation of about 30% of the total allowable catch?) Thanks, in part, to the MA educational efforts to reduce cod bycatch in the haddock fishery recreational discards in the haddock fishery have been declining. This reduction in dead discards has not only enabled the current cod season, but has also lead to the increase to the bag limits for haddock. But it’s far easier to be critical of the process than to understand what’s really going on in the fishery.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Thank you for demonstrating how ignorant many recreational fishermen are with respect to fisheries management. We, recreational fishermen have been “sacrificing” nothing when it comes to codfish. We have been catching “our” share of the cod total allowable catch through the mortality of released cod fish in the haddock fishery. ( did you even know that recreationals receive an allocation of about 30% of the total allowable catch?) Thanks, in part, to the MA educational efforts to reduce cod bycatch in the haddock fishery recreational discards in the haddock fishery have been declining. This reduction in dead discards has not only enabled the current cod season, but has also lead to the increase to the bag limits for haddock. But it’s far easier to be critical of the process than to understand what’s really going on in the fishery.

Thanks for the education Mike but maybe some of us ignorant recs can help you understand that the groundfish collapse was due to the same idiots you are breaking your arm slapping on the backs. Keep your 4 week cod season and shove it 

And you all know I’m not anti commercial by any stretch just would like to see the rules for sustainability be managed by those with an actual brain cell and an interest in abundance of the resource for all. 

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Will the state award a pin now for a 5 lb haddock? Hope so they won't run out anytime soon.

18 mins ago, K Foley said:

Will the state award a pin now for a 5 lb haddock? Hope so they won't run out anytime soon.

I bought haddock filets at Shaws recently that must have come from some very small fish. One full filet was half a pound. 

Sure was tasty though.