TLap21

Fish ID?

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 6:45 PM, unskunk said:

cusk is delicious .......

Never caught one; but have had it in Maine in November on deer hunting trips and it was very good.

11 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Wandering around the NOAA site, both cusk and pout may not be taken.

Cusk has no size or bag limits in Maine. Don't tell Mako Mike the Conger Eel and Ocean Pout fisheries consultant.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Wandering around the NOAA site, both cusk and pout may not be taken.

Interesting. I am guess that's new? Granted I have not deep sea fish for about 5-6 years. When I use to, cusk is one of the fish we take and they are good fresh. If frozen they get mushy. Caught them in New York and New Hampshire. 

8 mins ago, foxfai said:

Interesting. I am guess that's new? Granted I have not deep sea fish for about 5-6 years. When I use to, cusk is one of the fish we take and they are good fresh. If frozen they get mushy. Caught them in New York and New Hampshire. 

Like Pollack. i took the cusk info from the Maine website

14 hours ago, K Foley said:

Check with Mako Mike he is a fisheries adviser. Don't you know.

The NEFMC RAP that I sit on only deals with cod and haddock.

Eh, it’s not great that a fisheries advisor can’t identify one of the most common bycatch species in the GOM haddock fishery (cusk). 

5 hours ago, jmei said:

Eh, it’s not great that a fisheries advisor can’t identify one of the most common bycatch species in the GOM haddock fishery (cusk). 

At least I do something to to protect and support the sport. What do you do besides biatch on the internet?

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

At least I do something to to protect and support the sport. What do you do besides biatch on the internet?

Mike to be kind you are not going to win here on this site of recreational fisherman. The fisheries management sucks and most know that.Could it be worse you would have to check with the commercial guys who are in the drivers seat on these matters.

22 mins ago, K Foley said:

Mike to be kind you are not going to win here on this site of recreational fisherman. The fisheries management sucks and most know that.Could it be worse you would have to check with the commercial guys who are in the drivers seat on these matters.

I’m not looking to “win” anything, I’m just trying to help preserve and protect the sport I love. I know better than anyone else where the hearts of the council members lie. But there are some who are interested in helping recreational fishermen. We just have to pick our battles. The expansion of the recreational cod fishing season was a win for recreational fishermen, and there will be others.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I’m not looking to “win” anything, I’m just trying to help preserve and protect the sport I love. I know better than anyone else where the hearts of the council members lie. But there are some who are interested in helping recreational fishermen. We just have to pick our battles. The expansion of the recreational cod fishing season was a win for recreational fishermen, and there will be others.

Oh wow, what a win. 6 weeks of fishing with a 1 fish limit. Two of those weeks being the beginning of April when almost no one has their boat in the water and the weather is terrible.