TLap21

Fish ID?

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, albacized said:

I haven't gone offshore bottom fishing since the late 80's and early 90's, when it far easier to catch codfish vs haddock (in fact haddock catches were almost newsworthy...at least in local fishing magazines). But anyway, we also caught a number of ocean pout as well as wolffish back in those days...and the fish in the pic is definitely an ocean pout

Same here. Also cusk. I dont remember haddock being more than an occasional catch. 

3 hours ago, unskunk said:

not to be stupid, but,  is this what is called cusk too? 

all i've ever seen was white fillets...........

I recall the boats out of southern new england referring to ocean pout as 'conger eel', which is also obviously incorrect...This was also back in the late 80's/early 90's

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Same here. Also cusk. I dont remember haddock being more than an occasional catch. 

Yeah, almost forgot about cusk. I think unlike the ocean pout, cusk are actually part of the codfish family

13 mins ago, albacized said:

I recall the boats out of southern new england referring to ocean pout as 'conger eel', which is also obviously incorrect...This was also back in the late 80's/early 90's

Back then the ground fish charters out of Plymouth called them conger eel. Wolf fish has a huge head compared to the body. Can't keep them.

North shore head boats called them conger eels also. I believe back in the 80s we were allowed to keep wolffish, but for some reason few did. We were all after  cod and macks. 

3 hours ago, K Foley said:

Back then the ground fish charters out of Plymouth called them conger eel. Wolf fish has a huge head compared to the body. Can't keep them.

I used to work with a guy that said he caught a ton of conger eels in his dad’s lobster pots. The guy was full of it, so I never really believed a thing he said, but this makes a lot more sense… he was catching pout.

This guy also once told me with a straight face that he reached down the throat of a 1100lb tiger shark and ripped its heart out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

We snagged an ocean pout about 15 years ago while jigging for cod. It’s stomach was full of razor clams…crushed up. We ate the pout and it was good (this was back when you could keep them of course). 

Edited by west tide

39 mins ago, JTR said:

I used to work with a guy that said he caught a ton of conger eels in his dad’s lobster pots. The guy was full of it, so I never really believed a thing he said, but this makes a lot more sense… he was catching pout.

This guy also once told me with a straight face that he reached down the throat of a 1100lb tiger shark and ripped its heart out.

That would question his voracity.

You can still keep cusk, aka ocean pout. You can’t keep wolffish anymore. Wolffish are delicious, cusk not so much.

5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You can still keep cusk, aka ocean pout. You can’t keep wolffish anymore. Wolffish are delicious, cusk not so much.

That original photo that started this thread does not look like a cusk to me

57 mins ago, JTR said:

In my experience lobstering, congers were fairly common, so he may be telling the truth about that one. The shark tale? Na. 

8 mins ago, K Foley said:

That would question his voracity  

Yes, voracity is a word but you should have used the word veracity instead of voracity.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 mins ago, MakoMike said:

cusk and ocean pout are not the same thing and cusk are good eating, just ugly.

Edited by FizzyFish

1 min ago, Gloucester2 said:

Agreed.    And wormy.  

the ones i have eaten were from deep water off Chatham  50 Fathoms or so and not wormy YMMV.