Mack26

Groin Pull

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I'm not a doctor but the way you describe it sounds like you will need physical therapy at the least. Feel better soon. 

26 mins ago, MAGA said:

I'm not a doctor but the way you describe it sounds like you will need physical therapy at the least. Feel better soon. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Any better?

Hey bud, thanks for asking! It’s been a little up and down, with periods where it quiets, then amps up again. I’ve been taking short slow walks to try and keep things loose.

I think if things don’t vastly improve by Thurs. i’ll have to seek treatment. The only thing that’s got me concerned is, when it amps up, it hurts in my hip socket. Referring pain maybe?? I’m just praying it turns a corner soon. I know i couldn’t even think about fishing with it like this, even on the sand. Which is the most aggravating part of the whole thing!! :waah:

Good choice.  Never hurts to have an orthopedic check it out.  People's pain interpretation is all over the map.  Some describ  mild pain and have serious tears or tendon ligament cartiledge damage, others a heavy hard high intensity weight workout nearly bed bounds them for days.  Nothing to do with mental toughness either as same person can completely flip with some other type injury.

Vast majority of groin injuries especially in people under 50-60 are mild minor just needing rest recovery but others can need more advanced care.  Unfortunately in the short term little can be done to "fix" it.  It's why when you go to a family Dr with most soft tissue injury they tell you only light use for 4-6 wks.  The issue with the hip area is its very complex joint when you look  at the supporting muscles and body position.  It can be significantly effected by posture, and position both upper and lower body, muscle imbalance especially throughout the trunks core.  After all this muscle group is stabilizing and lifting the largest heaviest bone in your body.  It's not unusual for it to takeva few weeks.  An MRI can rule our more severe damage if its warranted.

1 min ago, RiverShoulders said:

Good choice.  Never hurts to have an orthopedic check it out.  People's pain interpretation is all over the map.  Some describ  mild pain and have serious tears or tendon ligament cartiledge damage, others a heavy hard high intensity weight workout nearly bed bounds them for days.  Nothing to do with mental toughness either as same person can completely flip with some other type injury.

Vast majority of groin injuries especially in people under 50-60 are mild minor just needing rest recovery but others can need more advanced care.  Unfortunately in the short term little can be done to "fix" it.  It's why when you go to a family Dr with most soft tissue injury they tell you only light use for 4-6 wks.  The issue with the hip area is its very complex joint when you look  at the supporting muscles and body position.  It can be significantly effected by posture, and position both upper and lower body, muscle imbalance especially throughout the trunks core.  After all this muscle group is stabilizing and lifting the largest heaviest bone in your body.  It's not unusual for it to takeva few weeks.  An MRI can rule our more severe damage if its warranted.

Thanks man, yes i don’t think it’s as serious as a tear, at least i hope not.

One thing i remembered from my outing a week ago as i was replaying it im my head, was that i took a little spill off my rock from a wave that hit me and had kind of an awkward jump. Felt no pain, just that unsure feeling when you jump into waist deep water, not knowing what your footing is. Time to start thinking about taking s down a notch i guess. Sucks to get old…

On 6/18/2022 at 1:44 PM, sytheteacher said:

This is something my girlfriend would have to take care of..

Well at least when your left hand gets tired you can switch it up to using the right ;)

32 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Thanks man, yes i don’t think it’s as serious as a tear, at least i hope not.

One thing i remembered from my outing a week ago as i was replaying it im my head, was that i took a little spill off my rock from a wave that hit me and had kind of an awkward jump. Felt no pain, just that unsure feeling when you jump into waist deep water, not knowing what your footing is. Time to start thinking about taking s down a notch i guess. Sucks to get old…

Yes most "groin" pulls are like a twinge there is not immediate pain.  Then, as the muscle group is left at rest, blood flow and temp decrease, that's when the serious tightness happens and the pain.  The next morning is when you know your in real trouble. 

When you said you were kayaking etc things were falling into place.  It's always a bad thing when your seated static position and upper body is straight but knees are higher than your  thighs for long periods especially as we age. Its even worse if the seat usually in a vehicle or sofa has the front of the seat putting pressure under the knee hamstring junction, where your butt is sunk in the seat with knees high, lower  leg slightly extended with tension.

I have had numerous hip flexor strains i.e. micro tears from typical sports plus decades of more combative disiplines and career.  You then realize thru the pain and tightness how much those muscles groups do beyond the laymans obvious.  Core support of the upper bodies stability. They are a group that balances and stabilizes the body.  They are always in use short of specific supported seated or laying positions.

If you look online there are numerous PT stretches and movements to help.  Stationary biking slow under very light resistance is helpful but you MUST  have the seat and your upper body in a proper position.  Walking very slowly in a pool.  Again look online.  You must first heat the entire area well.  Blood flow blood flow expanded  dilation within the muscles is critical.

If you have good PPO Health Insurance you should be able to get even your family Dr to send you to PT.  That's the best way to learn the stretches and exercises as you will know the feel when your doing it correctly and be able to replicate by yourself.  They can also do some cool things with bands to put the hip into a traction state and have you go thru certain range of motions while the joint itself is in a  "floating" state.  They first started using this technique on ankles and wrists.  You had people coming in on crutches not being able to support standing weight on a spain to walking out with no support an hour later.  Cut recover time by 75% in many cases.

There are other chemicals "meds" both natural and synthesized to speed healing but to recommend or suggest carries real responsibility and liability.   You need a current MD and good malpractice insurance status to go beyond anything but immediate family and closest friends.  Its oxymoronic but common sense in....You never know what you don't know and there is always something you do not know about anything.

I was just hoping with a bit of basic supportive care it would be past the primary inflamed state so you could walk lightly and fish off the beach or pier for your vacation.  These days,  I  translate vacation to mean "will be fishing" at some point... lol

More great info, much appreciated. I think i will be able to work through it in time. It gets tight and pulls more after my walks, so maybe they aren’t a good idea, but i feel like after i put ice/heat on it, it calms down. I’m just trying to get past the tight tug and pain. I really do want to fish on vacation as it’s a tradition with my son that we love. Luckily it more wading shallow flats, and no real straining walking or climbing. I will scale back for sure, and may fish FW for the time being.

I’ve also been massaging the muscles with a little lotion and gently digging into the ones that feel tight. Trying to be patient. :waiting:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like others said, you shouldn't take advice from the internet.  If I was in your place, I would do only hip flexor stretches and a lot of them.  It will hurt more in the beginning especially during the stretch. When you start to feel the pain while walking, do some quick standing hip flexor stretches and then continue the short walking.  If it is the right thing, you will get better faster than trying to do many different exercises and stretches.

Edited by Draekon
typo

So, things have gotten slightly worse with pain now in the hip joint, and extending down my leg to the knee. Called today to see PC tomorrow to get the ball rolling for diagnosis/treatment. I’m thinking possibly an MRI or Cat Scan. Can’t believe this is even happening. 

7 mins ago, Mack26 said:

So, things have gotten slightly worse with pain now in the hip joint, and extending down my leg to the knee. Called today to see PC tomorrow to get the ball rolling for diagnosis/treatment. I’m thinking possibly an MRI or Cat Scan. Can’t believe this is even happening. 

That doesn’t sound good… hope they can fix you up. Get well soon :)