NHAngler

(Used) Boat prices - put your helmet on…

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I could not have timed  and Dumped my 20 NC any better. It was almost like Putin sent me an email to sell. Dumped it high right before the market tanked.

Now I have a couple of tinnys, fish all night on 1 gallon. :kissthrow:

4B73BE89-AD42-499A-BB19-EFEA0A1D0AFF.gif

hmmmm   not so sure about any of this....im thinking quality fishing boats will hold value....I do suspect cheap pos boats that were purchased by fools will flood the market.  doubt anyone with say a 23 ft Parker with yami power and a tower will need to dump.  .....unrelated to covid  etc there still is a fiberglass supply issue and good luck finding a deal on a new yami to repower or whatever.   the real issue is if you sold getting back in the game is gonna cost. 

Very true but will all level out relative to the amount and appetite of buyers. I have had one glass boat in my sight for 8 ish months and saw it take on price increases and currently still for sale with the same dealer but at 35% more than it was last fall. ..and that price was even a bit high. 

11 hours ago, bronson said:

hmmmm   not so sure about any of this....im thinking quality fishing boats will hold value....I do suspect cheap pos boats that were purchased by fools will flood the market.  doubt anyone with say a 23 ft Parker with yami power and a tower will need to dump.  .....unrelated to covid  etc there still is a fiberglass supply issue and good luck finding a deal on a new yami to repower or whatever.   the real issue is if you sold getting back in the game is gonna cost. 

You doubt that, huh?

What was a new 23 Parker going for as of late?  How about used?

What percentage of either bought over say the past 4 years were financed?

I'd agree if everyone paid cash, but I'm betting 85% of boat sales, new or used, are financed.  And when things get tight, thats the first payment offloaded.

By the way, who puts a tower on a 23 Parker??

A lot of things will play into used boat prices.

People who would otherwise have bought new might now consider buying used, and so help to support current prices.

People concerned with the fuel that their big boats are buring might decide to downsize, perhaps reducing prices for larger boats but supporting, or even pushing up, prices for smaller boats.

And people who hold decent-paying jobs just won't care.  Maybe add an extra passenger to split the fuel price four ways instead of three, and make fewer trips out to the canyons just to explore, but otherwise won't be too affected.  I recall diesel over $5.00 in the latter days of the Bush (43) administration, and very few people stopped fishing.  Two bucks more now will add a little cost to the trip, but when that's shared among three or four people, it still isn't that bad.

After all, what else are you going to do?  Go to a ballgame?  For anything but the bleachers, and assuming you grab something to eat and drink, that's going to be $75-$100/person minimum with parking thrown in.  Greens fees for golf courses are going to be the same, if not higher, except on some less popular public courses.  I don't go to amusement parks, but I know they're not cheap.  Even a half-decent restaurant is going to cost $100/person or more with drinks.

All things considered, people will complain about fuel prices, but most will still go.  The only ones likely to dump their boats will be the COVID purchasers with no close ties to the water, who bought on a whim.

A LOT of boats still in shrink wrap at marinas local to me.  To the point where storage areas seem to be bulging at the seems.  

1 hour ago, makorider said:

You doubt that, huh?

What was a new 23 Parker going for as of late?  How about used?

What percentage of either bought over say the past 4 years were financed?

I'd agree if everyone paid cash, but I'm betting 85% of boat sales, new or used, are financed.  And when things get tight, thats the first payment offloaded.

By the way, who puts a tower on a 23 Parker??

We’ll see. Just my opinion that a lot boats that will go cheap are not what dedicated anglers will be interested in. Btw mainly charter captains and folks with cash get 23 Parker’s w towers. Realize it’s a se style boat that you can drift over relatively shallow flats sight casting for reds…,then run out the inlet for cobia   …. Then maybe sheepshead fishing at the bridge on the way home.   If your still not seeing this check out pair marine website. They really have nailed  this type of boat. And surely just like jones brothers and Parker folks that choose good boats aren’t likely to sell cheap. 

On 6/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, LB said:

So now you will be a camper on the canal? 

Yes sir. 

OK I lied about sitting the season out with the Whaler.  Put a deposit down on a Seacraft 23 today, sea trial early next week and close.  Will keep in Hyannis to chase big fish/Albie season

On 6/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, CWitek said:

A lot of things will play into used boat prices.

People who would otherwise have bought new might now consider buying used, and so help to support current prices.

People concerned with the fuel that their big boats are buring might decide to downsize, perhaps reducing prices for larger boats but supporting, or even pushing up, prices for smaller boats.

And people who hold decent-paying jobs just won't care.  Maybe add an extra passenger to split the fuel price four ways instead of three, and make fewer trips out to the canyons just to explore, but otherwise won't be too affected.  I recall diesel over $5.00 in the latter days of the Bush (43) administration, and very few people stopped fishing.  Two bucks more now will add a little cost to the trip, but when that's shared among three or four people, it still isn't that bad.

After all, what else are you going to do?  Go to a ballgame?  For anything but the bleachers, and assuming you grab something to eat and drink, that's going to be $75-$100/person minimum with parking thrown in.  Greens fees for golf courses are going to be the same, if not higher, except on some less popular public courses.  I don't go to amusement parks, but I know they're not cheap.  Even a half-decent restaurant is going to cost $100/person or more with drinks.

All things considered, people will complain about fuel prices, but most will still go.  The only ones likely to dump their boats will be the COVID purchasers with no close ties to the water, who bought on a whim.

I agree. Anyone that really enjoys fishing or boating isn’t going to stop going just because of gas prices. Maybe you make shorter trips but you aren’t going to just give it up. The only people that will sell are the casual boaters that weren’t that into it in the first place. 

10 hours ago, Bergallmaster said:

Nice! What year and whats on the back.

It's a 1975 with 2013 300 ETEC.  Not a showpiece like the yellowfin/barker 26 I was looking at this spring.   But it's in pretty good shape with redone transom, fuel tank.   It'll get it done for chasing tuna, albies and for family time over to the islands.

The seller casually offered that he would inquire if the private dock in Hyannis was avail and I'm speaking to owner today about it.   If it works out I'll leave the boat there for rest of season.   Normally I'm trailering whaler back and forth 3-5 days a week during albie season so this would save a lot of that.   Plus I would mainly be using the seacraft in cape anyways going after small tuna. 

Normally I buy boats I fall in love with and they undergo extensive work.   My whaler was a hull up build.  Sailboat I had on the Bristol program.   Not feeling this with the seacraft,  might just be a temp boat but filling a need for this season.   Who knows. 

9 hours ago, z-man said:

……The only people that will sell are the casual boaters that weren’t that into it in the first place. 

Which is likely the majority of all those that bought during the pandemic. Not to exclusively blame them, but that surge was a big part of why it’s has gotten out of control. Now the boat they paid 2-3x more than its actual worth will be for sale in front of a smaller and more patient audience. They or the bank will lose $ but don’t worry, our dollar is worth less anyways.