If we manage our fisheries this could be you

Rate this topic

codfish

This Spring Cape Cod South Shore in close there were so many Cod "which we could not keep" it was hard not to catch one, the video could be us in a few years if we manage the cod stocks correctly, what say you?? "watch the second half of the video its epic light tackle from shore cod fishing:)

Edited by codfish

This weeks OnTheWater fish report 6/17/22

"Regarding Charlie, Captain Mark Rowell of Legit Fish Charters told me that giants have indeed moved into Cape Cod Bay and one of the attractants he feels are – cod! It’s almost difficult to drop a jig towards a bottom over structure in Cape Cod Bay and not come tight to a cod and some of these fish are 20-pound brown bombers!"

On a side note, a couple of years ago I watched one of the UK surf fishing channels, I forget which one, as I watch several, and they featured some "Gery Beard" LC Surf Casters who had broken out the old tackle, which they had stored decades earlier, because the Cod had been virtually eliminated by the factory trawlers, as had the European Sea Bass (cousin of our Striper's, but the Wr is more like the high 20's, if memory serves).  these guys had smiles like a kid on Xmas morning, and kept saying that they had lost all hope of ever again doing such surfcasting in their lifetimes.

Apparently, the EU fisheries managers woke up in time to where the large Cod and European Sea Bass are making an impressive come-back, as witnessed by a flourishing industry production of plugging LC tackle and lures. I know Century is now marketing the "developed for the American Surf Casting" blanks and Daiwa and Zxiplex are starting to fill their selection of rod/blank offerings for this element of the sport.  Also, UK/EDM divisions of Daiwa, Penn, Shimano and Okuma and TICA are producing both 35 and 25mm LC spinning reels for plugging the salt - if only we could get some of them over here.

Edited by FlatWing

22 hours ago, FlatWing said:

On a side note, a couple of years ago I watched one of the UK surf fishing channels, I forget which one, as I watch several, and they featured some "Gery Beard" LC Surf Casters who had broken out the old tackle, which they had stored decades earlier, because the Cod had been virtually eliminated by the factory trawlers, as had the European Sea Bass (cousin of our Striper's, but the Wr is more like the high 20's, if memory serves).  these guys had smiles like a kid on Xmas morning, and kept saying that they had lost all hope of ever again doing such surfcasting in their lifetimes.

Apparently, the EU fisheries managers woke up in time to where the large Cod and European Sea Bass are making an impressive come-back, as witnessed by a flourishing industry production of plugging LC tackle and lures. I know Century is now marketing the "developed for the American Surf Casting" blanks and Daiwa and Zxiplex are starting to fill their selection of rod/blank offerings for this element of the sport.  Also, UK/EDM divisions of Daiwa, Penn, Shimano and Okuma and TICA are producing both 35 and 25mm LC spinning reels for plugging the salt - if only we could get some of them over here.

:th: