ExcessiveAngler

ABU 7000i C3CT MAG REPLACEMENT

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

All right Abu lovers!

I just curious if anybody has played around with replacing the Mag array in 7000i series Abus with a mono mag!

I know some of you were probably gonna say why?

The reason is because the mag array is a horrible design!

I just don’t understand why they would use such flawed design on such a nice, heavy duty reel that’s ready to rock some big fish and for long distance too!

Now, if that mag array worked somewhat effectively I could deal with it but it does not work good at all!

I thought maybe it was because I bought a used 7000i mag, but nope I’ve recently found a 7000i Blue Yonder brand new in the box.

Although the NEW one works slightly better than the used one, neither of these reels really have any sort of decent mag control to them!

And on a sidenote, my Swedish 7000’s with the L/W’s removed will easily cast as far as these things and way nicer too!

So, hopefully the regulars will be chiming in!

Many thanks in advance 

EA

8 mins ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

All right Abu lovers!

I just curious if anybody has played around with replacing the Mag array in 7000i series Abus with a mono mag!

I just don’t understand why they would use such flawed design on such a nice, heavy duty reel that’s ready to rock some big fish and for long distance too!

Now, if that mag array worked somewhat effectively I could deal with it but it does not work good at all!

I thought maybe it was because I bought a used 7000i mag, but nope I’ve recently found a 7000i Blue Yonder brand new in the box.

Although the NEW one works slightly better than the used one, neither of these reels really have any sort of decent mag control to them!

And on a sidenote, my Swedish 7000’s with the L/W’s removed will easily cast as far as these things and way nicer too!

Many thanks in advance 

EA

I added that same mag set up to my chrome rocket. It works great, except it was an Akios mag and needed a bit more fiddling since the posts on ABU and Akios don’t line up.

Before you ditch the mag, find out what kind of magnets are on the cups. If they are not rare earth, replace them. 

How many brake blocks do you use?

31 mins ago, fishhappy said:

I added that same mag set up to my chrome rocket. It works great, except it was an Akios mag and needed a bit more fiddling since the posts on ABU and Akios don’t line up.

Before you ditch the mag, find out what kind of magnets are on the cups. If they are not rare earth, replace them. 

How many brake blocks do you use?

No brake blocks!

The problem is the mag adjustment does not work correctly.

Even on the new one, it does not seem to function properly.

I was just curious if anybody new what size the mag hole was before I go and take it apart lol!

It’s really not a big deal to rip it apart, but it’s always easier to ask here first and get the information from people that have done it already!

EA

I pulled the mags out of a abu6600 drilled the hole and put a mono mag ,dome fitting due to dome side plate and it works much better than the stock mag …. I also put a mono mag on a abu 7000 and it also works perfectly …the 7000 did not have the factory mag… 

What are you looking to accomplish? I gather distance with spool control? Some folks think the mags are a cure all for the dreaded bird's nest. Lol 

Anyhow even a magged reel can blow up if the spool is not set correctly :howdy:

Those professional backlashes will erupt even with the best of mono mags … lol lol lol .. form , timing , ability to see the end of the cast , strength, practice  all play into keeping the backlashes under control …

On 6/16/2022 at 9:59 PM, ExcessiveAngler said:

All right Abu lovers!

Many thanks in advance 

EA

I looked at the on-line Schematic - it looks very much like the arrangement on the Penn original 525 Mags, except the "slidey" control had a cam.  we used to increase the control by adding mags to the back of the mag tray - no need for adhesive, the mags stick to the stock mags thru the tray plastic.  Because you are not trying to fit the mags into the holder, they can be of slightly larger diameter as well.  This of course assumes that any metallic reel components near the mag holder are non-ferritic (i,e, Austenitic)  Stainless, or Aluminum.

That having been said, BlakDogTackle has a "Tournament" Mono Mag conversion that fits an 8mm hole:

ABU Flat Sided Tournament Knobby Mag Conversion

£18.99

A Tournament Knobby Mag Brake Conversion Kit for Flat sided Abu 5000, 6000 or 7000 series of reels - it may also fit a number of other makes of ABU and Millionaire "lookalikes". This kit is of the screw in type and requires you to drill an 8mm hole in the side plate of your reel.

The all brass and stainless steel construction makes it ideal for fishing or the tournament field and the single rare earth magnet winds off anti-clockwise 0.8mm per turn of the knob; when spun up the reel spool will spin for approximately 15 seconds with the brake full on and anything up to 2 minutes at full off.

Each unit is supplied with full fitting instructions and an online tutorial can be found here.

We can fit this product with 2 strengths of magnet; Standard (tournament and competent casters) and Improved (less experienced casters and general fishing use).

Please make sure you pick the correct option at the bottom of the page when ordering.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/6/2022 at 11:39 AM, FlatWing said:

I looked at the on-line Schematic - it looks very much like the arrangement on the Penn original 525 Mags, except the "slidey" control had a cam.  we used to increase the control by adding mags to the back of the mag tray - no need for adhesive, the mags stick to the stock mags thru the tray plastic.  Because you are not trying to fit the mags into the holder, they can be of slightly larger diameter as well.  This of course assumes that any metallic reel components near the mag holder are non-ferritic (i,e, Austenitic)  Stainless, or Aluminum.

That having been said, BlakDogTackle has a "Tournament" Mono Mag conversion that fits an 8mm hole:

ABU Flat Sided Tournament Knobby Mag Conversion

£18.99

A Tournament Knobby Mag Brake Conversion Kit for Flat sided Abu 5000, 6000 or 7000 series of reels - it may also fit a number of other makes of ABU and Millionaire "lookalikes". This kit is of the screw in type and requires you to drill an 8mm hole in the side plate of your reel.

The all brass and stainless steel construction makes it ideal for fishing or the tournament field and the single rare earth magnet winds off anti-clockwise 0.8mm per turn of the knob; when spun up the reel spool will spin for approximately 15 seconds with the brake full on and anything up to 2 minutes at full off.

Each unit is supplied with full fitting instructions and an online tutorial can be found here.

We can fit this product with 2 strengths of magnet; Standard (tournament and competent casters) and Improved (less experienced casters and general fishing use).

Please make sure you pick the correct option at the bottom of the page when ordering.

Hey thanks for responding Flatwing

I’m not getting notifications for this, I just went and fixed it I hope!

I have several types/sizes(not sure of strengths)of Neonydium magnets here because I like doing the piggybacking magnet thing with the mag 525.

I’ve also played around with static- Magging or 

I like to call it stagging lol, on other reels.

But there is still much I’ve yet to learn! 

I know sometimes there’s little tricks and things to avoid sacrificing a side plate!

I have Zzeta mono and tournament mags here also!

I just was thinking/hoping there might be someway to put some better Springs on the mag array or swap it out for a mono mag without drilling the side plate !

It really has almost little to no adjustment and is a poor design!

Honestly, if I’m going to modify an Abu, you better believe it’s going to be a Swedish 7000 model, unless you can convince me that an Abu7000i CT mag or the Abu7000i Blue Yonder is worth modifying!

The 7000i BY has the same exact issue no or very little Mag adjustment and that was purchased secondhand but brand new in the box unused. 

I was very excited to get a couple of these reels and now I am not so impressed at all with the

i- series Abus!

Even though they were not made in Sweden, they felt like they were quite durable and of quality construction!

It doesn’t make much sense to me to have a reel  with a adjustable mag and then have to thumb it!

It may be time to get rid of both of them and get something more useful!

EA

Edited by ExcessiveAngler

59 mins ago, Surf bomber said:

You may be able to get a mono mag from surf pro cast in Maryland … 

Thanks Surf bomber!

I actually have some small brass fittings here and was digging around in the fitting cabinets over at the local supply stores!

I might just try to make myself a little mini mag lol lol!

I know it’s not really a big deal to drill out the side plate or I could just get another donor and keep the original and put the mag on the donor plate!

That’s what I plan to do with my 5000-7000 Swedish reels, either gonna get a donor plate off of the flea or buy or trade for one in the BST!

I’ve already picked up a 4600 AL mag traxx and snatched the mag side plate off of that for one of my 6500 Chrome rockets!

It’s kind of hard to get used to adjusting that one on the fly without overcompensating!

EA

Adjusting on the fly … minute adjustments …I have been known to have a few professional backlash eruptions while adjusting on the fly … lol lol lol … 

Well, my position is that I would rather have a reel with the OEM mag arrangement and have to thumb it, than to have a reel like the original 7000i c3 that was slow without any brake blocks installed Pure Fishing cancelled that one because the shafts kept bweing bent just by casting a moderate payload,

For what it is worth, I hot-rodded an ABU c4cs toa c6 configuration and a Record (the original of the "brought back" models) to a c9 configuration.  I used all ABEC 7 ceramics on the spools/shaft ends (2 on the c4 and 4 on the Record - I obviously left the one-way bearing inside the spool in place.  The I added the 2 bearing level wind and the level wind sprocket bearing.  When I was done, the reels were so fast that I had to add some brake blocks to avoid thumbing at anytime except before splashdown, and I had a 2 stacked magnet " mono-mag using K&J rare-earth neodium magnets, becasue I was limited in space foir the magnet diameter by the level-wind sprocket,

Sometimes a reel is too fast physically for the magnet configuration it has, or for that matter for even a "stacked" mono mag arrangement.  I have solved this on CT reels by using a 4-mag carriage that I custom made. I am on my Laptop, but if you want, I could post pictures and a video of the reel running later when I am at my Desktop.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is non-beneficial to adjust on the fly unless you are casting over 600 feet because of the elapsed time per 100 feet of flight.  Unless I am casting (fishing, I no longer do tournaments, all my tourney reels are on the shelf and have never seen salt water) into a strong head wind, in which case I leave the mags full on, I will first back off the mags 1/2 turn and go from there - but I use a 1/4-20 thread on my home-made mag setups, either mono or carriage, so I have fairly significant travel per half turn.  Rather than using a mag cup on the end of my adjustment screw, I simply epoxy the bottom mag of my stack onto the end of the screw where I cut off the hex head (with a dremel wheel) and hand filed it flat

3 mins ago, FlatWing said:

Well, my position is that I would rather have a reel with the OEM mag arrangement and have to thumb it, than to have a reel like the original 7000i c3 that was slow without any brake blocks installed Pure Fishing cancelled that one because the shafts kept bweing bent just by casting a moderate payload,

For what it is worth, I hot-rodded an ABU c4cs toa c6 configuration and a Record (the original of the "brought back" models) to a c9 configuration.  I used all ABEC 7 ceramics on the spools/shaft ends (2 on the c4 and 4 on the Record - I obviously left the one-way bearing inside the spool in place.  The I added the 2 bearing level wind and the level wind sprocket bearing.  When I was done, the reels were so fast that I had to add some brake blocks to avoid thumbing at anytime except before splashdown, and I had a 2 stacked magnet " mono-mag using K&J rare-earth neodium magnets, becasue I was limited in space foir the magnet diameter by the level-wind sprocket,

Sometimes a reel is too fast physically for the magnet configuration it has, or for that matter for even a "stacked" mono mag arrangement.  I have solved this on CT reels by using a 4-mag carriage that I custom made. I am on my Laptop, but if you want, I could post pictures and a video of the reel running later when I am at my Desktop.

Of course, I would love to see anything that you are willing to share!
As much as some casters bash the mag array it does have its advantages at times!

I agree totally because it has a wider range of magnets for better control!

I love the way my mag trax AL array Controls the spool, just no good for casting on the fly!

That plate is now currently on my new 6500 C3 with level wind for plugging!

EA

2 mins ago, FlatWing said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is non-beneficial to adjust on the fly unless you are casting over 600 feet because of the elapsed time per 100 feet of flight.  Unless I am casting (fishing, I no longer do tournaments, all my tourney reels are on the shelf and have never seen salt water) into a strong head wind, in which case I leave the mags full on, I will first back off the mags 1/2 turn and go from there - but I use a 1/4-20 thread on my home-made mag setups, either mono or carriage, so I have fairly significant travel per half turn.  Rather than using a mag cup on the end of my adjustment screw, I simply epoxy the bottom mag of my stack onto the end of the screw where I cut off the hex head (with a dremel wheel) and hand filed it flat

Yes, I too have been thinking about making my own mags because it looks quite simple in theory!

I’m not so much worried about looks,  just functionality!

But after glancing through a bunch of bins in the local supply places and auto shops, looks like you could put something together somewhat easily without driving yourself crazy lol!

I mean if you wanted to go to the easy route, you could just epoxy a small nut right on the side plate and then do as you stated and modify a bolt to accept a magnet and adjuster knob!

EA