Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barley

Changing my attitude while driving

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Aggressive and other self-absorbed drivers have caused me a lot of frustration over the years.  I’m a retired career cop so for the first year and a half of my career, as a patrol officer, I got to do something about it.  After that, just like the rest of us, all I could do is stay out of the way and fume.  

Since retiring about seven years ago, I have aspired to disregard all of these fools, other than the attention required to avoid an accident.  I’ve made progress but my attitude occasionally regresses when a particularly moronic driver’s actions leave me wondering how such a fool can hold down a job that pays enough to be driving an expensive car.  Sh*t heads in oid beaters no longer linger in my mind once I’m out of their path but clueless drivers of luxury cars can still raise my blood pressure.  Why do so many drivers believe they have the reflexes of a NASCAR driver and lack the common decency of using turn signals?  It seems as though drivers of Teslas, BMW, Audis, Porches  etc. don’t even know turn signals are a thing.  I feel some guilt for wishing these people would die a painful death.  Can anyone help me finally get these idiots out of my head?

Drive defensively, that's about all you can do. Some are on drugs or alcohol, some are on their phone talking or texting, some are new drivers, and the rest just suck at driving. Just drive defensively.

stay out of the left lane

I don't like these guys playing frogger either, but the reality is if aholes moved right, they wouldn't have to do what they do

People cutting in line at exit ramps. Those mofo’s need the flash from the the gaping maw of the cut down 12 gauge to be the last thing they see. Kidding of course but I  do find them rude and uncouth. 

19 mins ago, Barley said:

Can anyone help me finally get these idiots out of my head?

From the dawn of hominid time until this very second there are only 2 things over which you have absolute control; 1. What you think and 2. What you do about what you think.

Just like Dorothy in OZ you've had the power all along. Who controls you?

A leopard can’t change its spots, Barley.

You’re trained to take notice and act, and retirement relieves only half of that programing. 

Do the limit, dead balls on, no lower no higher, keep right in a multi lane hwy., and take special delight watching the driver fume behind the wheel on a single lane road. That's what I do. 

I absolutely go ape chit when i am tailgated. I mean, i drive a BMW x3 M40i lately and i know that i am not a slow driver, but i still get tail gated.

Oh yea, the JERKS on their cell phones texting drive me ape chit also.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yea Clown, and how do you get rid of tailgaters without accelarating and maybe getting a speed ticket? Happenned to me once…thank you NJ state police.

Edited by CATCHnRELEASE

6 mins ago, SB59 said:

Do the limit, dead balls on, no lower no higher, keep right in a multi lane hwy., and take special delight watching the driver fume behind the wheel on a single lane road. That's what I do. 

When I finally get a chance to safely move over I always say "Firing off a PROBE !!" as they roar by :laugh:

2 mins ago, CATCHnRELEASE said:

Yea Clown, and how do you get rid of tailgaters whithout accelarating and maybe getting a speed ticket?

I don't. I can't control them. I can only (sadly at times barely) control myself. So I relax and pray for them to come to their senses before they stroke out .

7 mins ago, CATCHnRELEASE said:

how do you get rid of tailgaters without accelarating and maybe getting a speed ticket?

You go slower. The closer they get the slower I go. But keep right & you're in the right. 

I slow down for tailgaters. Speed up for right lane passers. 

Except, in one lane roads, you cannot get rid of them period without gunning it.

I AWAYS leave plenty of space between myself and the car ahead….Just in case. course, on multi lane roads i am constantly being cut off.

I need an evaporating laser gun.