Meicoff

Century or ODM?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Went ahead and ordered a S2 1326. Thanks everyone for the input. After a few weeks I’ll update this and let everyone know how it’s held up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

I've snapped 2 ODM's, one evolution and one genesis.  I'm hard on rods but that's me.  I've abused the **** out of my BH.  

 

I wouldn't mind trying a century, that would be my next try, but I have a pile of BH rods

Next time you see me on the water, say hello. I have two S2 Stealth rods. I'll be happy to let you try one

Lou

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lou T said:

Next time you see me on the water, say hello. I have two S2 Stealth rods. I'll be happy to let you try one

Lou

Lou. I might have to take you up on that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beat the daylight out of my Evolution and have fished and liked the Frontiers and Genesis. I prefer the ODM line vs Lami. 
I have a slingshot that’s like a broomstick. 
Best thing would be for you to try the rods. Everyone has their own opinions and many are 100% opposite. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 6/16/2022 at 10:07 PM, AFMike said:

There are multiple options from Century.  If you're looking for absolutely bomb proof the Kevlar NorEaster is what you want. They were designed to take whatever abuse fisherman can dish out.

2 other options are the Surf Machine Elites and Standard Surf Machine,  both have textreme finish for added power and phenomenal exterior durability.  The new 11' Weapon is another great option,  textreme finish, very durable,  and definitely not last the S2 Stealth, extremely versatile and very durable.  Hope this helps.

 

 

On 6/17/2022 at 9:55 AM, Goldy said:

I've snapped 2 ODM's, one evolution and one genesis.  I'm hard on rods but that's me.  I've abused the **** out of my BH.  

 

I wouldn't mind trying a century, that would be my next try, but I have a pile of BH rods

AFMike is the man to see for the new rod. Last year,  ( or two years ago :headscratch: ) he wrote how the new S2 1326 was improved on from the older version I have. He invited me to test one and I should of taken him up on it.

 

I was told the lightness and sensitivity of the new rod was off the charts without sacrificing anything, including the power of the rod. Instead I purchased a new one on his word alone. I usually never purchase a rod by mail order, but this time I did. Being so happy with the one I have, I ordered a new 10'-6" rod. What I got was new old stock of the older version...

On 6/17/2022 at 2:06 PM, Lou T said:

Next time you see me on the water, say hello. I have two S2 Stealth rods. I'll be happy to let you try one

Lou

 

On 6/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Goldy said:

Lou. I might have to take you up on that.  

The offer still stands but AFMike, stands for Advanced Fishing Mike. He is the Century man...

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Surfratiam said:

Beat the daylight out of my Evolution and have fished and liked the Frontiers and Genesis. I prefer the ODM line vs Lami. 
I have a slingshot that’s like a broomstick. 
Best thing would be for you to try the rods. Everyone has their own opinions and many are 100% opposite. 
 

They want reviews from people thar catch. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2022 at 11:50 AM, FISH BUCKET said:

 Rods have improved in my lifetime to the point where there few really bad rods out there….even relatively in-expensive rods are decent.

that said there is still a case to be made for expensive rods…..weight is one reason to spend more money….lightness is costly..while some older favorites are still good today most of them are heavy when compared to todays rods.

hardware is another reason…..guides and reel seats are much better now then years ago….guides are harder yet lighter…they are also confiqured for braid…...reel seats are more comfortable in your hand.

blanks are complex mixtures that are much more user specific then before……they are built for any type of style of fishing you do..as reels and lines improve so do rods.

i have many ollder rods that are still used and i like them….but….i find myself reaching for my newer rods the majority of times lately……

a modern quality rods is a joy to use 

 

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

and the rod your grabbing is.......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goldy said:

They want reviews from people thar catch. Haha

Good point…..I can clarify. Well for those that make a large amount of casts I find the Evolution is extremely easy on the shoulder. Went into the season with a rotator cuff tear and with a substantial amount of casts the shoulder is no worse for the wear…. So far.

And have banged the rod around a lot over a few years. Certainly not fragile. I have not really had any rod blow up on me while “high sticking” a fish…….maybe some day…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, after a good season and putting it against some large fish and long nights here’s my take aways.

 

overall lighter and easier on my body than both of my previous GSBs. Casts eels extremely well. I was honestly a little concerned about how light this was and was worried about stopping power but I was able to turn fish in the 30+ pound class a lot faster than I did with previous rods. I feel like the rod did a lot of the work and I was able to horse in and turn fish faster. Overall my body was less fatigued tossing 5oz riggies night after night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would lean toward the Century as well.

Once again the rod thread goes to how much lighter the new rods are compared to the GSB’s

Maybe it could be that moderate rods are not a good fit for some folks physical abilities.

Modern guide setups on Lamiglas blanks put them in the same ball park as the other manufactures in the race. We are talking 2 ounces or less on a build. Even Lami’s GSB two piece blanks weigh less than most of the competitions.

Fatigue would be more related to rod action, technique and physical ability rather then weight of the modern rod it self.

We are blessed to have so many options.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2022 at 7:32 AM, lazzyone said:

The technology and materials that century is utilizing in my opinion is light years ahead of what any other manufacture is using...but you're going to pay top dollar for that. 

You are pretty accurate with this statement lazzyone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, LowEnd said:

I would lean toward the Century as well.

Once again the rod thread goes to how much lighter the new rods are compared to the GSB’s

Maybe it could be that moderate rods are not a good fit for some folks physical abilities.

Modern guide setups on Lamiglas blanks put them in the same ball park as the other manufactures in the race. We are talking 2 ounces or less on a build. Even Lami’s GSB two piece blanks weigh less than most of the competitions.

Fatigue would be more related to rod action, technique and physical ability rather then weight of the modern rod it self.

We are blessed to have so many options.

 

I redid my xra 1204 and 1322

The 1322 is the absolute balls

I was punching one of my needles out there in a direct 20 knott wind in my face.

I have the surf machine elite 1 to 6 and its a beast.

 Really love the Century rods

1145.   1327.  1265.  

Cant go wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2022 at 8:29 PM, surfrat59 said:

Century kevlar noreaster or another GSB. ODM doesn't compare to either in durability

Sounds like you’ve never fished the Nex1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.