Meicoff

Century or ODM?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Howdy,

Broke my GSB and looking for a new whip. Fish 6 nights a week - primarily throwing riggies, big metal lips. Lightest I will be throwing is a super strike darter. Spend my time swimming out of boulderfields so I am fairly tough on my gear and bash my rod of rocks quite often.  Not super concerned on weight but a lighter rod would be nice for less fatigue as I am usually fishing long hours. Currently thinking about a stealth or weapon - looking to hear some reviews from people who fish the way I do. Thanks in advance much love.

Posted (edited)

I never used an ODM but have fished Lami GSBs and Century rods for many, many seasons around the rocky shoreline of RI. I like many of the different models from each company but if I had to pick one that will suit your needs it would be the Century Stealth 1266S— 10’ 6”. I fish a lot of the same stuff you do and this rod will handle all of it well. Also, it’s a great casting rod and will handle any bass in front of you. It will also hold up to any torture test you throw at it. Good luck

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Don't fall into the evolution hype.  If you a hard on equipment, stay away from ODM.  I don't care what people say. 

Go with what worked for you over the years.. GSB.  Century are damn good and black hole for the money is rugged as ****.  I primary fish BH and i'm dropping **** all the time and banging and I'm happy with the results

I've got 2 seasons on a 9 foot odm nex1 and it's my favorite rod by far 

Wanted to grab a century but happened into an odm first and have been very happy so far 

Posted (edited)

I have a couple gsb's.  All one piece and I love them... but... they are heavy and beat me up after a long day of casting.  The last many years I started shifting to ODM which have performed above and well beyond my expectations.  I have a 9 and 10' evolution with VS VR's they are like feathers when compared to my GSB's and this is where it's a win for me.   I also disagree with Goldy with all due respect to him.  If you are hard on gear then there is no perfect rod for you - just expect to replace gear often if you fish this way.  The movement to light weight material makes modern rods just not tank tough anymore. 

Edited by pressphotog

Posted (edited)

My ODM Evolution has handled big fish effortlessly. I also abuse it on rocks. I didn’t think it would hold up in that situation to be honest but I was wrong. It’s an extremely powerful rod and it can turn big fish in current. It’s also really sensitive and light for how powerful it is. 

a lot of guys love century rods too. I doubt you could go wrong. If I were you I would go to a builder and feel both to see what feels right to you

*EDIT*wait I just re read this post. Def get the century for what you’re throwing. 

Edited by CLFish5

Thanks for the all the responses guys. I’ve fished GSBs for years but have been concerned about newer tech rods and my style of fishing. Glad to here from guys that are out in the water beating them up, I live in an area where I cannot travel to a rod builder so it’s nice to hear some personal input. 

I've been a fan of St. Croix Legends and Avids for a long time but picked up an ODM two years ago.  It's become my new favorite.  I only fish a couple of times a week and am pretty careful with my gear.  So, can't speak to heavy use.  Friend swear by their Centuries but no personal experience.

8 hours ago, Meicoff said:

Howdy,

Broke my GSB and looking for a new whip. Fish 6 nights a week - primarily throwing riggies, big metal lips. Lightest I will be throwing is a super strike darter. Spend my time swimming out of boulderfields so I am fairly tough on my gear and bash my rod of rocks quite often.  Not super concerned on weight but a lighter rod would be nice for less fatigue as I am usually fishing long hours. Currently thinking about a stealth or weapon - looking to hear some reviews from people who fish the way I do. Thanks in advance much love.

There are multiple options from Century.  If you're looking for absolutely bomb proof the Kevlar NorEaster is what you want. They were designed to take whatever abuse fisherman can dish out.

2 other options are the Surf Machine Elites and Standard Surf Machine,  both have textreme finish for added power and phenomenal exterior durability.  The new 11' Weapon is another great option,  textreme finish, very durable,  and definitely not last the S2 Stealth, extremely versatile and very durable.  Hope this helps.

The technology and materials that century is utilizing in my opinion is light years ahead of what any other manufacture is using...but you're going to pay top dollar for that. 

Odm makes a good tomato stake when you cut them into pieces. 

15 hours ago, pressphotog said:

I have a couple gsb's.  All one piece and I love them... but... they are heavy and beat me up after a long day of casting.  The last many years I started shifting to ODM which have performed above and well beyond my expectations.  I have a 9 and 10' evolution with VS VR's they are like feathers when compared to my GSB's and this is where it's a win for me.   I also disagree with Goldy with all due respect to him.  If you are hard on gear then there is no perfect rod for you - just expect to replace gear often if you fish this way.  The movement to light weight material makes modern rods just not tank tough anymore. 

I've snapped 2 ODM's, one evolution and one genesis.  I'm hard on rods but that's me.  I've abused the **** out of my BH.  

I wouldn't mind trying a century, that would be my next try, but I have a pile of BH rods

Rods have improved in my lifetime to the point where there few really bad rods out there….even relatively in-expensive rods are decent.

that said there is still a case to be made for expensive rods…..weight is one reason to spend more money….lightness is costly..while some older favorites are still good today most of them are heavy when compared to todays rods.

hardware is another reason…..guides and reel seats are much better now then years ago….guides are harder yet lighter…they are also confiqured for braid…...reel seats are more comfortable in your hand.

blanks are complex mixtures that are much more user specific then before……they are built for any type of style of fishing you do..as reels and lines improve so do rods.

i have many ollder rods that are still used and i like them….but….i find myself reaching for my newer rods the majority of times lately……

a modern quality rods is a joy to use