HOCKEYDAD

Car Battery question

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So, lately I have noticed that my 2008 Civic is kind of sluggish when starting. I put a meter on in when it was running. Voltage is good at 14.something. I turned the car off and hit the battery with the meter again. It registered 12+ volts but it slowly clicked down a tenth at a time. Can this be a symptom of a bad battery? I am hoping I don't have a voltage leak somewhere in the system other than it being a bad battey..

That is normal. The battery has to equalize after being run. Pop the hood then wait about an hour. You dont want to open doors as it creates a draw that can last a few minutes. You should now get an accurate reading. Charging at 14v does not necessarily rule out bad alternator. They can charge at 14v but it may be the wrong type voltage (ac vs dc). To rule out bad alternator, switch voltmeter to ac. With car running test from the red lug on the back of the alternator to the case ground. This must be done on the alternator itself. Other areas will give a false reading. Anything other than 0 volts ac means you have bad diodes in the alternator and replace the alternator.

I don't exactly know. Can't remember when I last changed it. Probably 7 - years.  I think I am just going to change it out in the morning. Can't hurt. I would like to think I am pretty good at wrenching. I changed the heads on my old Civic in the middle of winter in my unheated garage after the engine overheated on the way to a hockey tournament in Mass and warped the aluminum heads. Got home though. Got another 100,000 miles out of it before it blew up on the way home from work on the GSP. I knew it was going to happen. Had a bad rod knock going over the Driscoll heading south and no power then POW. Parts, fluid and smoke behind me.

1 hour ago, HOCKEYDAD said:

t before it blew up on the way home from work on the GSP. I knew it was going to happen. Had a bad rod knock going over the Driscoll heading south and no power then POW. Parts, fluid and smoke behind me.

At least ya made it over the bridge.

5 hours ago, HOCKEYDAD said:

I don't exactly know. Can't remember when I last changed it. Probably 7 - years.  I think I am just going to change it out in the morning. Can't hurt. I would like to think I am pretty good at wrenching. I changed the heads on my old Civic in the middle of winter in my unheated garage after the engine overheated on the way to a hockey tournament in Mass and warped the aluminum heads. Got home though. Got another 100,000 miles out of it before it blew up on the way home from work on the GSP. I knew it was going to happen. Had a bad rod knock going over the Driscoll heading south and no power then POW. Parts, fluid and smoke behind me.

After 4 years it's safe to say to change it. Battery degrades overtime and depending on your usage on the car, some battery can be healthier. But 7 years it's pushing it. It might not hold a good charge anymore. Healthy battery should be at 12.5v or above (not right after you turn the car off).

11 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Change the blinker fluid or adjust the flux capacitor.

Already did that along with the sneezle pin and the muffler bearing

I tested it after it sat over night. 12.2V. Went and got a new one and put it in today. Broke one of the hold downs trying to take it off. That is an indication how long that battery was in there. Wife complaining about picking the hottest day to do it. But I was off on a comp day for working over the weekend on a system go live. Have to do things when you can. Wife at beach, oldest son jet skiing and youngest working and now in pool with GF. Must be nice...    Brutal out. Sweat my jewels off. Thanks guys 

Wife’s Advanced Auto battery died the other day. Two weeks under three years. 

Free replacement. 

Second AA battery that died in three years on her. 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:23 AM, HOCKEYDAD said:

Already did that along with the sneezle pin and the muffler bearing

How about the automatic cowl flap gazoxilator?  That's one most guys forget to check.