BDan

Help choosing first surf rod

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm looking at buying my first surf rod and I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Shiamo Speedmaster 10ft (3/4-4oz) or a Penn Batallion II 10ft (1-4oz). Does anyone have any advice or feedback on either of these rods....or any other rods in the $150 range that you really like? It's going to be paired with either a Daiwa BG 5000 or Penn Spinfisher VI 6500 spooled with 20-30lb braid. I live in Central Florida and its going to be my all around surf rod mostly for throwing artifcials for Tarpon and whatever else bites, later on in the year I'd like to also use it for pompano and whiting. 

Any help woulod be appreicated!

PS: Here's a jack and a blufish I caught this morning since everyone likes fish pics!

IMG_8536.jpg

IMG_8538.jpg

Penn Battalion 10 ft was my first "real" surf rod. It's great option for a first rod. I still have it lying around and I lend it to friends. I can't speak for others but for me the thing was damn near indestructible. It survived years of smacking guides, drops, car doors, lifted fish and all manner of general googanry. I'd recommend it.  

I have the 11ft Battalion II 2-6oz, which I was throwing 1.25oz  for blues with no problem this morning. Really like that rod for the money 

I fish the east central Florida coast surf from September to June and my main rods are a 9’ lamiglass carbon surf for throwing lures for blues Spanish macs snook and whatever else is in the surf.  My second primary rod is a 10’ jigging world shadow that is primarily my bait rod for whiting and pompano and for throwing heavier lures.  Both rods are about $200 but are a step above the penn batallion IMO.  I also think that your reel selections are bigger and heavier than you need. I wouldn’t go larger than a Penn 5500 or a BG 4500 size reel on a 10’ rod for the fishing your planning to do.  I have a Penn spinfisher 6500 and only use it for sharks on a heaver rod. It would not be fun casting lures with it for any long period of time.  

Posted (edited)

If you want to stay less than $150.00 you may, also, look at the 10' or 11' Okuma Rockaway Surf rods.

They have them:

ML, rated 1/2 to 2 oz

M, rated 3/4 to 3 oz and

MH, rated 1 to 4 oz

They are very light and they weight between 8.9 and 11 oz, depending of the model you choose.

Edited by Popasilov
spelling

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

If you want to stay less than $150.00 you may, also, look at the 10' or 11' Okuma Rockaway Surf rods.

They have them:

ML, rated 1/2 to 2 oz

M, rated 3/4 to 3 oz and

MH, rated 1 to 4 oz

They are very light and they weight between 8.9 and 11 oz, depending of the model you choose.

Saw your avatar and I knew it!!! 

I have a battalion 2 12’ heavy conv that I use for heaving chunks for drum and sharks and it is just so incredibly powerful. My first experience with a shark over 6 foot was very stressful, for me and the poor fish. I was fishing with eels for stripers with a spinfisher 5 6500  LL and an ugly stik catfish 1-3 oz and I hooked up with a sandbar shark around 6ft, maybe around 80 pounds. Fought her for an hour before my leader finally broke. Never landed it, but I think it’s a good thing because lifting it onto the pier I was fishing on probably would have killed it. Last year I hooked up with a fish, didn’t know what it was, on my battalion 2 heaver with a penn squall casting special in Delaware. Fought it for maybe 5 minutes max until I got it into the wash and I got a good look at it. Another sandbar, about 6 foot. Lost it in the wash, practically on land. Only 5 minutes compared to a little over an hour, same size fish. That’s power right there. Of course the tide was different, the first shark was outgoing at an inlet so the current was very strong and the beach was slack I think, but still. I don’t have any experience with the lighter battalions or shimano rods but if the lighter battalions are anything like the one I have it should be a good choice.

50 mins ago, EricDice said:

Saw your avatar and I knew it!!! 

LOL

Guy is looking for rod

7 hours ago, BDan said:

all around surf rod mostly for throwing artifcials for Tarpon and whatever else bites, later on in the year I'd like to also use it for pompano and whiting. 

less than $150.00.

I would not recommend this rod for bait fishing.

For around $100.00 Rockaway is a great rod for plugging and artificial lures.

My BG 5000 sits nicely on a Tica TC2 2-8... that combo spooled with quality braid gets you on the beach with everything but bait and tackle for a little over $300. Does everything from a 1.5oz kastmaster up to 5/6 and bait.

It's the most versatile bang for buck combo in all of east coast bass fishing IMO... if your intent is mostly light to moderate lures then obv take the suggestions for a 3/4-4, but my reco is about versatility in a single rod to start.

The combo I mentioned will also work as a light duty inlet/canal setup to boot.

The speed master is a great buy for the cost to what you get.  I have the 11' MH 2-6oz.  Had it paired to my Gosa 6k and my Certate Sw 6k.  No complaints caught some blue and reds and a couple small sharks.  Also had a few Tsunami Air Elite a 9'6" a 11'.  But those are a step up in price.  For the $150 range I think the speedmaster is a good buy.  But others have far more experience than I.

Posted (edited)

The tsunami airwave is a solid entry level surf rod. If I were you I'd give it a look.

Edited by Big Biscuit

Thank you for all the replies!!

10 hours ago, Popasilov said:

LOL

Guy is looking for rod

less than $150.00.

I would not recommend this rod for bait fishing.

For around $100.00 Rockaway is a great rod for plugging and artificial lures.

I've seen a fair amount about Rockaway's breaking, is that still an issue?

14 hours ago, JimJ said:

I fish the east central Florida coast surf from September to June and my main rods are a 9’ lamiglass carbon surf for throwing lures for blues Spanish macs snook and whatever else is in the surf.  My second primary rod is a 10’ jigging world shadow that is primarily my bait rod for whiting and pompano and for throwing heavier lures.  Both rods are about $200 but are a step above the penn batallion IMO.  I also think that your reel selections are bigger and heavier than you need. I wouldn’t go larger than a Penn 5500 or a BG 4500 size reel on a 10’ rod for the fishing your planning to do.  I have a Penn spinfisher 6500 and only use it for sharks on a heaver rod. It would not be fun casting lures with it for any long period of time.  

The more I'm thinking about it I'm leaning towards the spinfisher vi 5500....only as matter of time before I would accidentenally dunk a BG, especially since I'll be fishing down year year round it makes sense to get soemthing more durable.

8 hours ago, RiverShoulders said:

The speed master is a great buy for the cost to what you get.  I have the 11' MH 2-6oz.  Had it paired to my Gosa 6k and my Certate Sw 6k.  No complaints caught some blue and reds and a couple small sharks.  Also had a few Tsunami Air Elite a 9'6" a 11'.  But those are a step up in price.  For the $150 range I think the speedmaster is a good buy.  But others have far more experience than I.

I'm really leaning towards the speedmaster, does it feel pretty durable? No stores around me have it in stock and wish i could actually feel the rod first

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, BDan said:

I have never seen Rockaway break.

Only case I know is with a friend of mine @Mike Mendez

His rod, 10' ML broke in the house while practicing swings.

Questions for you

1. Where have you seen Rockaway rods breaking and

2. What is fair amount?

Edited by Popasilov
spelling

14 hours ago, BDan said:

Thank you for all the replies!!

The more I'm thinking about it I'm leaning towards the spinfisher vi 5500....only as matter of time before I would accidentenally dunk a BG, especially since I'll be fishing down year year round it makes sense to get soemthing more durable.

I'm really leaning towards the speedmaster, does it feel pretty durable? No stores around me have it in stock and wish i could actually feel the rod first

I only used mine on this last trip to FL but I used it everyday for 10 days straight.  So not long term but I pulled in a few 3-4 ft  my sharks a few puppy & slot drum, sheepshead.  I casted a few rigs with 2-3oz sinkers.  It seemed to do fine.  Not heavy but frankly all these modern rods feel light after so many yrs of fiberglass.  I like that it has a minimal wrapped butt and top grips.  It's not bulky at all.

For $150 it's hard to go wrong with it.  With that said it's my lowest cost rod.   You will likely upgrade your reels and rod as time goes by.  This would then be a great loaner rod or one to let a new to fishing or young kid wanting to try out surf fishing etc. 

I can not recall if I got mine online from Bass pro/cabelas , sportsman warehouse, or jandh.  I ordered a few things from all of them and they all had free shipping on rods.

How much do you fish? If it’s everyday, get something good that will last you a decade or more. St. Croix makes good rods. The mojo would be over your budget by about $80.00, but a good choice for artificials, since it’s strong but not overly stiff.

Have you considered Shimano's Spheros? 

7 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I have never seen Rockaway break.

Only case I know is with a friend of mine @Mike Mendez

His rod, 10' ML broke in the house while practicing swings.

Questions for you

1. Where have you seen Rockaway rods breaking and

2. What is fair amount?

I found out that Okuma’s warranty doesn’t cover ceiling fan incidents.