plinker

ID this reel seat? Please and Thanks.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello guys,

I want to build a Talon #186 into an over-grown version of the Phenix Trifecta Lite. The plan is to run 15lb 832 on a VR50 for throwing 1oz +/- jigs in the surf.

I'm looking for a reel seat similar to the one in the photo, since I'm shooting for a minimalist build. I don't want cork or EVA material book ending the reel seat.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Trifecta-Lite-6.webp

Trifecta-Lite-6.jpg

Edited by plinker
bad photo link

On 6/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, tbush said:

Likely proprietary... amtak and mudhole sell some funky stuff similar 

Thank you for the lead.

Drag out your dremel and drill and you can minimalize $5 seats all day instead of paying $40 for one. Rod builders were making the skeleton seats for over a decade before a rod company used/made one.

My buddy has a Trifecta spinning rod with the above reel seat.  I thought it was cool looking, but when I tried it, it felt funny in my hands.  If you haven't already, I'd recommend handling one before you commit.  It was the hump that felt weird.

9 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

My buddy has a Trifecta spinning rod with the above reel seat.  I thought it was cool looking, but when I tried it, it felt funny in my hands.  If you haven't already, I'd recommend handling one before you commit.  It was the hump that felt weird.

What is the purpose of the "hump"?... Just looks?... I've used the Trifecta Lite too, and thought the same thing...

Butch

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

What is the purpose of the "hump"?... Just looks?... I've used the Trifecta Lite too, and thought the same thing...

Butch

I think it is for ergonomics, but in my hand it feels like I have less control over the rod's rotation.  Maybe my hands are too small to take advantage of the additional thickness.

Edited by Mike Mendez

13 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

I think it is for ergonomics, but in my hand it feels like I have less control over the rod's rotation.  Maybe my hands are too small to take advantage of the additional thickness.

Well, I've got some big ol' paws, and it was a little weird for me too...

Butch

Looks to me like they put the hump in the wrong spot, easy to do if your first priority is bling to catch the eye, no one holds it in their hand long enough at the rack to really let it settle in and of course rarely is a reel attached which could fix the feel, or make it worse depending on the new position your hand goes into. I would think it would be more comfortable if it didn't have the hole, after all how many ergonomic handles like you see on hammers, hatchets, axes, military equipment, etc. have holes in it there? The idea is to fill the hand, not cramp it. Which is more comfortable overtime a closed fist, or more relaxed hand?