Hookedup2640

Abu Garcia Mag Reel Issues

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

To anyone using Abu Garcia 6500 C3 CT Mag reels, please share your experience's. Mine is an older model around ten years of age. I never really liked the reel and used its sparingly. I cleaned it after each use and kept it well lubricated. I took it out last week to surf fish and experienced a rough retrieve when the reel was not under load, casting 4oz and bait. Took it apart looking for defects and found a small black bushing on a spool shaft, pinion gear was missing a 1/4 inch section. I cleaned everything inside, re lubricated and it seemed to work more smoothly. When I tensioned the spool the damned thing stopped spooling without making internal grinding noises. 

Has anyone had this issue. If so did you have it repaIred by Abu factory service, and did the repair resolve the issue? This reel was made in Sweden, not China as are many of today's Abu's. 

So did I get a lemon of a reel, or is this a common issue?

Edited by Hookedup2640

If the pinion is missing a 1/4”, you will need a new one. 

Check out Alan Tani’s site. They have step by step tear downs of every reel out there. 

29 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

If the pinion is missing a 1/4”, you will need a new one. 

Check out Alan Tani’s site. They have step by step tear downs of every reel out there. 

Thanks for the advice, The brass pinion gear is in tact. The black bushing ring that fits over the gear is the issue. I do have the reel schematic. I do not want to waste my time and money on this reel unless I can learn that Abu has improved the parts responsible for and resolved the problems. 

5 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

Thanks for the advice, The brass pinion gear is in tact. The black bushing ring that fits over the gear is the issue. I do have the reel schematic. I do not want to waste my time and money on this reel unless I can learn that Abu has improved the parts responsible for and resolved the problems. 

Can you shoot a pic of it (the bushing)?

That is a highly coveted reel. If you give up on it, put it on the BST. There will be lots of takers I’m sure. 

Posted (edited)

18 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

That is a highly coveted reel. If you give up on it, put it on the BST. There will be lots of takers I’m sure. 

I am waiting on a call from Abu technical staff, to resolve the issue. If Abu has not upgraded the inept parts, I would not put the same garbage part in and sell its to become a headache for the buyer.

Edited by Hookedup2640

45 mins ago, Hookedup2640 said:

I am waiting on a call from Abu technical staff, to resolve the issue. If Abu has not upgraded the inept parts, I would not put the same garbage part in and sell its to become a headache for the buyer.

Ambassaduers have killed more fish than  water pollution. 

No doubt, I own many ABU's, the one I am talking about isn't going to kill a damned thing, Current best use for mine is a paper weight.

Posted (edited)

Edited by DaveC
No buying selling or trading outside of the buy sell trade for us.

19 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

I will buy the part and make the repair myself. If it resolves the issue I will probably get rid of it. 

When all else fails , pull the level wind tape up the cross member to eliminate line chafe and put a mono mag on it …. And replace what is broken … just another option … 

On 11/20/2008 at 1:18 AM, alantani said:

pull up the schematic and follow along with me....

http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematic...%2015%2000.pdf

every once in a while i get something new. that was the case here. this box arrived from alaska. hmmmm, carbon matrix drags? i wonder what this is all about?

102_0608.JPG

i pulled it out of the box and the first thing i noticed was the weight. it's heavy! much heavier that a normal ambassaduer. i ran into the house and grabbed my camera. i've done an ambassaduer post already, but i knew this one would be different.

102_0609.JPG

this one had a very nice live bait handle. the levelwind assembly is basically the same as all the other ambassaduers. i fix alot of penn levewind assemblies, but not many abu's.

102_0610.JPG

the spool design was interesting as well. i'm not quite sure why it would be beveled like this.

102_0611.JPG

the left side plate should not be removed. just back out one left side plate screw (key #199) at a time, grease the hole, zip the screw back in, and move on to the next one.

102_0613.JPG

back out the three right side plate screws (no key #), remove the right side plate assembly and the spool.

102_0614.JPG

102_0615.JPG

add a little corrosion x to the left side plate bearing (key #5230), the idler gear (key #1117079), the worm gear (key #5205), and the click plate assembly (key #12642).

102_0616.JPG

now for the spool. remove the spool shaft (key #1117122).

102_0617.JPG

lube the right spool bearing.

102_0618.JPG

pull the white nylon sprocket gear (key #23403) and lube the left spool bearing (key #19843).... HEY, WHAT'S THIS!!!!!! SOME CHEAPSKATE PUT A BRASS BUSHING INSIDE INSTEAD OF A BEARING!!!!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS!!!!! well, i guess i shouldn't say that because i don't really know for sure. it could have been an honest mistake, or they could have intended it to be that way, it which case, it might still be an honest mistake (right?).

102_0619.JPG

i have whole box full of extra bearings, so i'll just switch it out and lube this bearing with corrosion x as well.

102_0620.JPG

and back into the frame it goes.

102_0621.JPG

now for the right side plate. remove the set screw (key #14868) and retaining collar (key #20944).

102_0622.JPG

remove the handle nut (key #5327).

102_0623.JPG

remove the c - clip.

102_0624.JPG

remove the handle (key #1117097), the spring (key #5115), the star (key #1117091) and both spring washers (key #5131) and line everything up.

102_0626.JPG

remove both bridge screws (key #13369).

102_0627.JPG

separate the right side plate cover (key #1117131) from the baseplate assembly.

102_0628.JPG

line up all the components of the gear cluster. interesting, it looks like ambassaduer has switched over to dry carbon fiber drag washers (key #1116906) inside the gear and a hard fiber washer (key #13169) underneath the gear.

102_0629.JPG

i'm going to substitute a penn ht-100 drag washer for the hard fiber washer (key #13169).

102_0630.JPG

this penn washer is a penn ht-100 #6-965. this washer has been cut down from 24mm down to 15-17mm. it fits nicely under the gears of the ambassaduers and the smaller shimano bait casters.

102_0631.JPG

because this penn washer is thicker than the stock ambassaduer fiber washer, it is necessary to remove the small brass thrust washer (key #5189) underneath the gear sleeve (key #22079). i am quite certain that these carbon fiber drag washers will have the same high failure rate as penn ht-100's following water or oil intrusion. i highly recommend a thick coat of shimano drag grease and then rebuild the drag stack.

102_0632.JPG

pull the anti-reverse roller bearing sleeve (key #22001).

102_0633.JPG

install it on the gear sleeve with a little grease (they get stuck easily).

102_0634.JPG

grease the bridge screw holes.

102_0635.JPG

grease the side plate screws (no key #).

102_0636.JPG

lube the right side plate bearing (key #5230) with corrosion x.

102_0637.JPG

slide the right side plate cover (key #1117131) straight down on top of the base plate assembly and install the two bridge screws (key #13369).

102_0638.JPG

hold the thumb bar in the "up" position and the right side plate assembly should match up perfectly with the frame.

102_0639.JPG

zip down the frame screws until they seat, then cinch then down a little extra until they are snug. use good mechanical judgement and don't snap off any heads.

102_0640.JPG

install the spring washers (key #5131) in the "()" position.

102_0641.JPG

install the star (key #1117091) and the spring (key #5115) with a little grease.

102_0642.JPG

install the handle (key #1117097) and c-clip (key#4490).

102_0643.JPG

add a little grease and install the handle nut (key #20944).

102_0644.JPG

install the handle nut collar (key #20944) and set screw (key #14868).

102_0645.JPG

clean off the excess grease and you're done!

102_0646.JPG

Not the same reel, but…

Alan Tani linked a bunch of his tutorials in the reel repair forum. 

The schematic you need can be found at Mike’s. 

Grab that and tell us the part in question. I’m curious which one it is. 

Is it a very thin black washer that sits on the spool shaft on the handle side of the reel under the spool centering cap?

Posted (edited)

Wow, thanks for sharing the photo's . That truly great old school reel looks to be bullet proof. Many of it's parts are similar, however it does not have the floating brass pinion gear it is not a fixed part. This part appears to be the issue and I am hopeful Abu has improved this part to enhance performance.

The schematic that came with my reel lists part #1117005. The schematic on the Abu part site has a different number 1116904. I hope the different part # is an upgrade.

Many thanks

Edited by Hookedup2640

Posted (edited)

Abu has not change a damn design since it began.

Its a 1/4 is damaged.  Youll need to replace a bunch of stuff.

You can buy any cheap 6500c3 anywhere and just use the internal parts, keep the rest as spares. Cheaper than buying 3-4 parts.

Pinions were always the weak point of the reels. All of them.  Unless you get steel gearsets. If you search old BST links, i sold steel gears before so you can see how they look.

Edited by EricL

1 min ago, EricL said:

Abu has not change a damn design since it began.

Its a 1/4 is damaged.  Youll need to replace a bunch of stuff.

You can buy any cheap 6500c3 anywhere and just use the internal parts, keep the rest as spares. Cheaper than buying 3-4 parts.

Pinions were always the weak point of the reels. All of them.  Unless you get steel gearsets. If you search old BST links, i sold steel gears before so you can see how they look.

Just ordered the pinion gear and a yoke, from ABU, for $ 19.00, including shipping. Mine is a brass floating pinion gear. I would not ever buy another, newer, Chinese, made Abu, reel. I foolishly bought 2, 7000 Ambassador Mags, via Amazon, that were made in China. The quality of the older reels was not in these reels. I sold them recently and wished the buyer good luck.