PeteA

Drag tension and dropping fish???

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

You are absolutely 100% correct. I see a lot of anglers doing this very thing while trying to land a fish. I will lower my rod angle and hold it to the side to prevent them from becoming unbuttoned.

Very good advice. Take note

This is gonna sound real dumb but I remember when I used to drop fish. Are you setting the hook? When you feel the bite you gotta slam your rod up my friend

51 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

This is gonna sound real dumb but I remember when I used to drop fish. Are you setting the hook? When you feel the bite you gotta slam your rod up my friend

Gotta cross their eyes!:freak:

1.  A no hands release on a bluefish is a beautiful thing.

2. Bluefish are great at getting hooked nearly anywhere in the front half of their body, and given the amount of thrashing they do can/will rip parts of their own flesh to escape.  Sometimes you'll get the plug back with nothing but a bluefish lip attached.

Don't sweat not landing them too much.

46 mins ago, bbfish said:

1.  A no hands release on a bluefish is a beautiful thing.

2. Bluefish are great at getting hooked nearly anywhere in the front half of their body, and given the amount of thrashing they do can/will rip parts of their own flesh to escape.  Sometimes you'll get the plug back with nothing but a bluefish lip attached.

Don't sweat not landing them too much.

This!

If you want to fish with a lighter drag then you can always set the hooks by adding temporary tension with your hand or thumb on the spool.

Lots of great advice here guys.

Not necessarily advise, but something I’d recommend trying out, if you’re worried you’re not getting solid hook sets maybe try crushing the barbs on a couple plugs and see how that works. Smashing down barbs can definitely help with deeper hook penetration.

As long as you’re keeping pressure on the fish and follow the other advise in this thread you won’t drop fish.

Barbless also helps with quick releasing blues. Helps too in case that blue ends up shaking the hook into your hand…

Barb crushing, not just for conservation reasons. Even if you like keeping your catch try it out and see if you notice any improvement. Worth doing on any plug you can easily replace hooks, in case you later change your mind. Maybe don’t do it on your favorite well worn Rip Splitter…you get the picture.  

19 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Yep. And that high sticking, coupled with a fish throwing the lure, sends all those trebles right towards your face. 

This is exactly what was happening on those quick releases!!!! 

40 mins ago, PeteA said:

This is exactly what was happening on those quick releases!!!! 

Ouch. Thank god you didn’t catch a hook to the face. 

As other said, drop that rod horizontally near the end and release some tension. Let them get off without touching. 

Take a single hook Ranger or Atom and crush the barb. That may even get you a deeper hook set. Try that approach. But, them unhooking themselves a few feet from you is the best of all worlds. You got the hit, the set, the complete fight, and the hands free, injury fee release. 

17 hours ago, bbfish said:

Bluefish are great at getting hooked nearly anywhere in the front half of their body, and given the amount of thrashing they do can/will rip parts of their own flesh to escape.  Sometimes you'll get the plug back with nothing but a bluefish lip attached.

Gonna second this, and will add that even when you hook a blue right around the mouth/lips that skin seems to tear easily, creating a bigger hole around the hook.  That often leads to a blue becoming unbuttoned, particularly when they go vertical with s serious head shake and when you're using a single hook (e.g. a diamond jig and tube, which the blues seem to love).  

This is all very helpful boys. Lots of very good advise here. I do like to keep a fish every now and then if possible and never really thought of dropping blues as a good release. 

But you guys are very right. Gets you back in the hunt even faster. 

A few good take aways:

> Not to rush getting the fish in. 

> I think the rod angle mentioned is key. Upon reading this post I have for sure been keeping the rod tip to high. 

> I also like the notion of maybe setting the drag a slight bit lighter and adding drag with the palm or finger. 

Hopefully the yellow eyes are still here for this weekend! Thx Boys! 

On 6/15/2022 at 7:39 AM, PeteA said:

I get the fish in to the point my leader is showing the fish still have a lot of life. 

Pete, confused by this sentence.

You should be changing out leaders occasionally as they get nicked, scratch, stretched.

3 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

Pete, confused by this sentence.

You should be changing out leaders occasionally as they get nicked, scratch, stretched.

With maybe a few shorts runs I reel the fish it to the point my leader is showing and the swivel is a foot or two from the my rod tip. The fish usually still has a lot of fight left thrashing like mad. The fish is really close but not under control. So, Ive been losing fish really in close. As per some of the suggestions, It might be a combo of rushing the fish in and rod angle. 

I would love to drop/loose every blue fish just few feet in the front of me.