jjdbike

VR vs Penn Slammer 4?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, punkroktownie said:

the line roller seal (or lack thereof)is the weak spot on the Slammer 4.

I have never had a problem with my slammer's. I do keep the line roller oiled.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I have never had a problem with my slammer's. I do keep the line roller oiled.

Yep.....rinsed after every use and line roller oiled...........slammers have never gone bad on me.....

Edited by yogiiiboy

On 6/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, Tagman said:

Yup, the Torque is officially dead. I was a little bummed when I heard this. I too, was hoping for a smaller size.

Hmmm, are we sure about this? There are a few videos popping up with a new reel from PENN and in one of them it was described as coming in above the slammer and below the torque. Sounded like the torque was still going to be in existence. But then again this new reel is in that $600 price range as well. So you could be right.

I don't know. Most peiole I know that use the Slammer 3 or 4 have no problems with them. So yes I'm sure about the Slammers I own. I have a 3 and a 4 , never had problems with them. Same with the 3 Spinfishers I have and no problems with the 3 BTL's and the Pursuit 2 I use for pier fishing. Penns are easy to work on and service. Mine are serviced . Hearsay don't count with me. My experince with them wins out for me. Tight lines.

7 hours ago, bajanfish said:

Hmmm, are we sure about this? There are a few videos popping up with a new reel from PENN and in one of them it was described as coming in above the slammer and below the torque. Sounded like the torque was still going to be in existence. But then again this new reel is in that $600 price range as well. So you could be right.

Any links or pictures? 

Thanks, looks interesting, lets see how it stands up. Where does the DX fit in?

Edited by LB

Cool thanks.

Love the seals. From the reviews it seems solid. It seem s to be a bit heavy for the size.

At 500, not sure if it beats out the Van Staals, for walking and plugging in the surf anyway.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

On 6/17/2022 at 7:10 PM, Evil-Bay said:

What penn needs to do is make some cut outs on the spool and rotor.  This would reduce some unneeded weight.  And it would help drain water and debris so much faster.

To me, the slammer 3 and 4 is almost identical.  

there are a lot more options with aftermarket spools and other parts to reduce weight with shimano and diawa reels especially the long spools models- these are 100 grms less the stock spools

IMG_20220528_163824032.jpg

IMG_20220528_165044016.jpg

Edited by angler management

On 6/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, yogiiiboy said:

I guess the real question comes down to how far are you willing to take your gear and at what conditions are you fishing.  Yeah, i believe both of these reels can take dunks and waves......but if 70 -90% of your fishing is going to be under those conditions, well i would expect the VSX to stand up as the much better reel.  Again, under those conditions, that's money well spent.  If you're on the sand 70-90% of that time with the occasional wave and/or dunk......IMO......that's not money well spent when there are other reels, like this Slammer, that can MORE than do the job.

just my take :howdy:

Bingo. What conditions? How often? Are you swimming with your reel? These are more relevant questions. And I don't know what the Penn goes for, but he should probably also consider the Saragosa.