jjdbike

VR vs Penn Slammer 4?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, RjcBrian said:

There’s also a reason you see 20,000 used VR models for sale after half a season or less.  Not worth the fashion show price tag. 

 

Well said, and absolutely true. 

 

Other than weight, the Slammer gen. 3 or 4 is not only a VR competitor, it’s the better reel. 

The new gen. 4 DX models with the stainless gears will outlive any VR.  I always laugh when I read posts from VR owners who say they love the reel, but their afraid to dunk them.  Waterproof my azz.  The VR is not a VSX.  I own a few VS, and VSB reels, and they are great performers. I have no problem spending serious money on higher end reels, but I wouldn’t  plunk 500 plus down on a VR. 

 

Besides the 20,000 VR’s that you see go for sale in the BST,  try reading the 20,000 threads on the problems that many guys have with the VR’s. Probably the most problematic reel is SOL history.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

jj........i have both (slammer 3 not 4) and love both.  The thing that makes the VR that more attractive is the weight (50 & 75).  I must say though, it sounds like the slammer reviews up top aren't that bad for guys not really "caring" for them the way some of us do................meaning freshwater rinses and occasional oil and grease points.  That said.....when i used my 4500 constantly in the wash and cared for it as described, it is as smooth today as when i got the damn thing.  True affordable workhorses!!

 

I can only imagine how the newer 4's perform with equal maintenance and care.  i might look at the smaller DX3500  :th:.......but yeah, i love my VR's weight and quality also.

I’ll never understand why people don’t at least rinse reel with freshwater after each outing. All of my reels are in perfect shape, rinse always and lube once in awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

jj........i have both (slammer 3 not 4) and love both.  The thing that makes the VR that more attractive is the weight (50 & 75).  I must say though, it sounds like the slammer reviews up top aren't that bad for guys not really "caring" for them the way some of us do................meaning freshwater rinses and occasional oil and grease points.  That said.....when i used my 4500 constantly in the wash and cared for it as described, it is as smooth today as when i got the damn thing.  True affordable workhorses!!

 

I can only imagine how the newer 4's perform with equal maintenance and care.  i might look at the smaller DX3500  :th:.......but yeah, i love my VR's weight and 

Edited by ecks
Duplicate reply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Tagman said:

 

Well said, and absolutely true. 

 

Other than weight, the Slammer gen. 3 or 4 is not only a VR competitor, it’s the better reel. 

The new gen. 4 DX models with the stainless gears will outlive any VR.  I always laugh when I read posts from VR owners who say they love the reel, but their afraid to dunk them.  Waterproof my azz.  The VR is not a VSX.  I own a few VS, and VSB reels, and they are great performers. I have no problem spending serious money on higher end reels, but I wouldn’t  plunk 500 plus down on a VR. 

 

Besides the 20,000 VR’s that you see go for sale in the BST,  try reading the 20,000 threads on the problems that many guys have with the VR’s. Probably the most problematic reel is SOL history.  

Doubtful, there were problems with the first gen. The reason you see alot of vs's in general for sale.  Is that guys buy a vs that don't really fish and wanna off it to get back some of their money. Or they wanna get rid of first gen vr's

I've got a couple torque's and vs's too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people seem to not like the VR’s and I really don't understand why.

 

I have 3 of the 2nd gen VR’s and I have used and own the old VS’s for years. I also fish Stella’s , Saltiaga’s , Visser , IRT and Accurate spinning reels and for the money I really think the VR’s are a good reel.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go VR, another great option is the saragossa. I’m not fond of new Penn reels. Tons of quality control issues and they’re all heavy compared to other reels in its class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

TAGMAN  I wouldn’t  plunk 500 plus down on a VR. 
l think you're reading too many reviews, they are well-built and water prof, l own one of the first generations and it's a keeper, l know about the drag problem if my line lay gets out of wack one drag wash would quickly fix the problem,  gears are just a beefy as the VS lets see what else, that's all l can think of as a posable major problem.

My first VS100 was bought in 1997 for $345.00 new, 25 years old still works as good as the first day even better it's broken in, not breaking down that's what you get when the reel is made of quality parts, break it down 25 years come out to 13.80 for every year that l owned the reel, repair's that l did, two-line rollers couple of quad seal, main seal, and side cover seal can't ask for more with a little TLC these reels will go on forever.

About 3 years ago l bought a reel off SOL VS150, which was less than one year, w/box paperwork made a hookup rt 70 Dick's parking lot reel was mint l asked why are you selling it? because l just bought VR150 l want to recoup some money, you will always see reels for sale for that reason, so for $400.00 l got a like new reel great buy, so in 4 years down the line that's $100.00 a year from then on l have a reel that could be with me for the rest of my life with a little TLC.

Last summer another SOL buy VR150 first gen. w/sales slip one year old, box w/papers and tool $300.00

Now to Penn reels, l bought my last Penn reel in 2020 it was Slammer lV with MPU l tough l would give it a try that was a mistake after finally getting the line lay right with spool shims going to do some plugging l find the reel has no real retrieve power under a load and under a load my line lay had changed now line lays more to the front under load two brides and one lost popper, not a happy camper went back to the car and put my VS100 25 year old reel back on my rod and finish my night fishing without a hitch, turns out the rotor bearing was defective or it was a cheap bearing inner race of the bearing would move about .025 out under a load that would pull the rotor out away from the reel increasing the line lay to the front of the spool, back to store l showed the owner the problem l was haveing and he said your right, he pulled another reel out of stock and it did the same thing, l said no thanks and got a refund, I'm a believer you get what you pay for. l cry once not twice not everyone can do that but l and it a point l will rather wait or take on an odd job to get the money or sell something l don't need and l have plenty of that.

 

There is always something that could and will go wrong with a new product that was proven with VS VR ZBASS & Visser, the problems were fixed reel design wasn't changed just problem fixed, Penn just comes out with a new model or adds on another number to the model.

 

l think Penn is going after SaltX line of reels everything Penn claims SaltX has.

 

Does anyone use Torque reels? l don't see many surf fishing.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, Tagman said:

 Waterproof my azz.  The VR is not a VSX.  I own a few VS, and VSB reels

l think you could be wrong on that call, any water prof reel will take in water if not giving a little TLC, the main point where water gets in from is the spool shaft if a sealed reel, reels get hosed down, and reels never get taken off the rod for weeks my son is good for that, that happens is after a while there is no lube on the main spool shaft and that will wipe out the quad seal over time, if not a sealed reel in do time it wears out your pinion, you need lube on the spool shaft l carry lube in the car for that purpose.

 

l never wash my reels at a beach shower or at home with a garden hose, if the surf was that bad or a heave rain reel came off the rod was wiped down with a wet rag, and lubed were needed at the key points.

 

You will always see VS VR & ZBASS for sale, because l don't use it that much, l don't like MPU, or l just need the money the reel could 10 years old and in good shape you could get your money back, a 10 year old Penn goes in the garbage or becomes a loner, or if your lucky 1/3 of what you paid for it.

 

So let's see where this DX reel goes. l wish Penn well, the fisherman that always bought their product deserves it they are the ones that keep Penn in business.

l bailed out on Penn with empty promises.

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

A lot of people seem to not like the VR’s and I really don't understand why.

 

I have 3 of the 2nd gen VR’s and I have used and own the old VS’s for years. I also fish Stella’s , Saltiaga’s , Visser , IRT and Accurate spinning reels and for the money I really think the VR’s are a good reel.

 

 

The VR 1st gen. are good l have two, the only problem you could encounter is with the drag system if they should wear down it will change the line lay more to the front quick fix just add another washer or order a new set.

Gears are as good as the VS l have both VS & VR and l know the inner very well on both of the reels.

How is your Visser doing? guys l know that have them love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Screenshot_20220618-203131_Chrome.jpg.14c9d5f980fbb04b7e2c8847713c3dc2.jpg@LB your quoting stuff I never said.. not sure how your doing that but, you have the quotes wrong.

Edited by Haycreekrambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Screenshot_20220618-203131_Chrome.jpg.14c9d5f980fbb04b7e2c8847713c3dc2.jpg@LB your quoting stuff I never said.. not sure how your doing that but, you have the quotes wrong.

l will check into it, if it's wrong l will make it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Found the problem, thanks for bringing it up. The quote was from post #16, l highlighted his quote and his name should have been on the headline along with his quote, not yours how your got there l have no idea quoting is simple to do but what happened beats me.

l wasn't sure how to remove the quote but l clicked on a couple of things in edit and it went away glade l was able to correct it.

 

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB said:

The VR 1st gen. are good l have two, the only problem you could encounter is with the drag system if they should wear down it will change the line lay more to the front quick fix just add another washer or order a new set.

Gears are as good as the VS l have both VS & VR and l know the inner very well on both of the reels.

How is your Visser doing? guys l know that have them love them.

On the Visser 

 

not enough time on it yet to have a solid opinion

 

only schoolie size fish…. would like to put some weight on it but but so far seems to be a very nice reel in that sealed reel category 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, LB said:

l have been eye the reel but that is about it, l have more than l could use now.

I have a #4 on a 7’6”Nomad Design 20-30 # rod 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LB said:

I'm a believer you get what you pay for. l cry once not twice not everyone can do that but l and it a point l will rather wait or take on an odd job to get the money or sell something l don't need and l have plenty of that.

 

Im also a believer of getting what you pay for, and always felt the VR is way to overpriced for the quality received.  Please understand, i’m not a person who worries  about price when it comes to things I buy. Yes, I see value in $700.00 reels and $1000.00 rods. Others may feel different, but I don’t care. I have several VS, Stella’s, Certates, and of course several 1st and 2nd. generation Torques. Yes, if you bump into me on the beach, I’m one of the few you might see fishing a Torque. Actually, the Torque is probably my favorite all around reel of all time.  I also believe the Torque is a high quality product, and worth its asking price. Guess that’s why I own 6 of them. I especially love the fact they are American made products. Unfortunately, Penn discontinued them, But I’ll keep fishing mine. I also feel the newer Penn Slammer IV DX is 95% of the more expensive Torque. Possibly even better. For the price, the IV DX is a bargain. I wouldn’t feel more confident  dunking a VR than I would dunking a Slammer IV. 

 

As for the VR, the very first time I handled one it felt like cheap, tinny aluminum crap. I have limited time fishing them, some of my friends own them and swear by them, but when I did fish the reel, it felt like a cheap knockoff to the real VS. Not only that, they were riddled with problems. A quick search on SOL is all you need. One of the biggies was water intrusion.  My older VS reels sometimes stay submerged under water for minutes at a time when i’m wading. My oldest 15 year old VSB never got a drop of water inside. How many threads have I read where a VR owner felt the need to crack his reel open after a long fishing session. Why should a Van Staal owner feel the need to open his reel up to see if it took on water?  Why do many wetsuit guys that swim  out to rocks choose their VSX over their VR? When I purchased My Van Staals, I purchased them with the confidence that they would stay dry. I don’t feel that confidence with the VR, and many of the threads I read from other fisherman say the same thing. 

 

I appreciate your response, LB. Honestly, you are probably one of the few members here on this site that I trust when I read your posts. Most of your posts are helpful, and you have a lot of knowledge of the innard workings of a fishing reel. Maybe I should keep an open mind, and revisit the VR gen 2. I always wanted a VR 50/75 sized waterproof reel. More than likely, I will wait for the new generation VSX model instead. Thank you for your feedback. It’s always appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.