gregory m

Flounder hook size

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Going fishing tomorrow, usually when i catch fluke in this spot i use live minnows on a fish finder rig on 10 lb line. I usually catch 15-20 inch fish, and was wondering what kind of hook is ideal for this. Last time i had luck using circle hooks, a 2/0 i believe. Is there anything else that would be better, whether it be a different style of hook or different size?

I think your good.   You can go larger with bigger baits & circles.  I've used up to 8/0 when live lining snapper bluefish.  

12 hours ago, gregory m said:

Going fishing tomorrow, usually when i catch fluke in this spot i use live minnows on a fish finder rig on 10 lb line. I usually catch 15-20 inch fish, and was wondering what kind of hook is ideal for this. Last time i had luck using circle hooks, a 2/0 i believe. Is there anything else that would be better, whether it be a different style of hook or different size?

You can catch an elephant with a p-nut. Are you using live bait hooks? Nothing wrong with 20 inch flounder. Experiment where you fish with larger hooks, gulp baits, squid, shiners, etc. and ask others fishermen you know for their techniques. Consult local bait and tackle shops, they are usually on target.

A 2/0 mustad live bait hook with a bullhead minnow always works for me. I actually used the same hook for stripers when we would fish live eels off the boat. Using 5/0 circles now. 

I’ve use 3/0 mustard O’Shaughnassy hooks for fluke with strip bait or gulp from boat. They are cheap and strong and I lose a lot on snags.  In my area most of the fish are less than 20”.  If ocean wreck fishing where slot of bigger fish I would go bigger.  Gamakatsu are great hooks too but IMO not worth extra $ for fluke given how many I go through during the season.  

Ahh ok. I ended up using 2/0 circle hooks and shiner hooks, one on each rod, and only caught one short in 6 hours. I dont know what it is but my 16” fluke was the biggest of the day, from anyone on the pier, and fish were few and very spread out. Around 3 weeks ago i did very well in this same spot,,, i dont know if the water is warming, or something, but supposedly fishing there has degraded other days that i wasnt there as well

Posted (edited) · Report post

That happens. 

Fish move. Just like anything else.  

Why & where??  Thats all part of the game. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

That happens. 

Fish move. Just like anything else.  

Why & where??  Thats all part of the game. 

Theres so many factors, it could be anything

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use light wire 1/0 J hooks or 2/0 Circles for live minnows and bump it up to 4/0-5/0 for live mullet, spot or any other similar sized small fish. With minnows, especially on a FF rig, the smallest hooks and lightest leader you can get away with are best. If the hooks are too big/heavy your minnow isn’t going to swim and if the line is too heavy it’s just going to coil and kill the action as well. I usually do a lot better with gulp, but there are definitely times when live bait is the key. 

Another thing to note: I’ve gut hooked just as many flounder on circles as I have J or Khale hooks. So unless it’s regulated where you’re fishing I wouldn’t worry too much about trying to use circles - I’ve also lost a ton of flounder on circles when live lining bigger baits. I swear by them for most other bait scenarios but they just don’t do it for me consistently enough with flounder.

Edited by Tyger92

8 hours ago, FallenKell said:

Well, for fluke, I use 3/0 or 4/0. For flounder I use 8 or 9.

Summer flounder aka fluke