z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, drmevo said:

Same as wild game, right? Also, I don't imagine many people on a fixed income are enjoying much striped bass at $25/lb...

Even if you catch your own by the time you factor in gas, tackle and time spent it would be much cheaper to just go buy chicken and rice from the grocery store if you’re just trying to put food on the table. 

7 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Catch and release all would mean if you enjoy eating fish,don’t have a boat,and are on a fixed income then your just not going to eat much fish or not eat any.

No problem with that.

7 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Catch and release all would mean if you enjoy eating fish,don’t have a boat,and are on a fixed income then your just not going to eat much fish or not eat any.

Flounder, fluke, BSB, Bluefish, etc..................

40 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

From shore probably if you live by Buzzards Bay, otherwise you'd have to stick to scup and bluefish. I don't know if we should count trout.

55 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

All of which are much better eating than stripers.

8 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

And let's not forget this forum's absolute favorite, WHITE PERCH! :)

Kidding aside, one of the best eating freshwater fish, especially in the winter...

In todays age, the cool factor of enforcement is very media driven. In fear that I may say something too political for non-tavern talk, I’ll leave it at that but I think that most of us see crimes committed across the board and enforcement is a joke. While we think most follow the rules, I would recon that there are many more unknowns to what goes on in the dark and sometimes right in front of Johnny Law. We do not have this data. 

I bring this up as I am 100% sure that there are commercial fish not being reported. Some may be keeping those big fish for food and others selling under the table for cash outside of the market. Am I wrong?

Inability or desire to enforce laws will dismiss the potential impacts from any suggested solutions. Any changes will also piss off those that it affects, triggering these types of disputes. I used to hate it but, when me and my brothers as kids would get into trouble, my dad punished us equally, no matter who’s fault. Now I know why he did this. To teach us to govern ourselves. I strongly believe that this is the missing link to solving such issues but we are and likely will be too divided t9 ever make this work anytime soon. Hope this changes as relying on leadership to fix issues will always end weird.

18 hours ago, MakoMike said:

My point is that rec. are killing both little fish (slot sized) and big fish (over slot sized). 1 at 36" brought back the population once before, when it was in even worse shape than today. The slot limit is merely an attempt tome sure that everyone who wants to can go home with a fish.

The slot also focused all recreational catch-and-keep effort on the 2015 and 2011 year classes, which are badly needed to rebuild the SSB.  

What might have made the most sense would have been to adopt a 35 (or 36) inch minimum in 2019, instead of the slot, and then adopt the current slot in 2024, when the 2015s were approaching 35 inches (on average, as fish size at age differs among individuals).  Thjat way, the 2015s could have been largely protected throughout their lives, maximizing their contribution to the spawning stock.

Last year, the Striped Bass Technical Committee decided that protecting the 2015s would no longer provide a meaningful benefit; however, if they were protected from the start, it might have led to a different conclusion.

16 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

How about barbless only and can't leave the water unless you're keeping?

I think that requiring in-water release of larger fish, as is the case with tarpon in Florida, would have been the right way to go.

Cameras kill.

6 mins ago, CWitek said:

The slot also focused all recreational catch-and-keep effort on the 2015 and 2011 year classes, which are badly needed to rebuild the SSB.  

What might have made the most sense would have been to adopt a 35 (or 36) inch minimum in 2019, instead of the slot, and then adopt the current slot in 2024, when the 2015s were approaching 35 inches (on average, as fish size at age differs among individuals).  Thjat way, the 2015s could have been largely protected throughout their lives, maximizing their contribution to the spawning stock.

Last year, the Striped Bass Technical Committee decided that protecting the 2015s would no longer provide a meaningful benefit; however, if they were protected from the start, it might have led to a different conclusion.

This is far too logical 

19 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Take striper over bluefish any day no matter how it was taken care of after the catch or prepared. Giant mack's good for bait.

My family just sold our first two bass in a couple of years now. I was on the cape off and on over the past couple weeks but won’t be down for a bit and just got the pics and it just disheartens me. Two 40”+ fish gone. All these things about circle hooks and single hooks and taking care of fish and only keeping slot fish just goes out the window starting June 16th I guess. A really stupid system in my opinion. Makes me almost disappointed to step on our boat again.

We striper aficionados obviously value stripers to the tune of thousands of dollars in gear.  The more objective taste buds of the uninformed public at large have placed a value of $25.00/lb because they like the taste.  Most of us are really hoping for a solution to the problem and others merely looking for someone to blame.  My solution would be to decrease human population to the point where most wildlife populations are comfortably stable.  I'm old and remember the good old days so I can say stuff like that.  The advocacy of such a policy as a short term solution amounts to genocide, so.......................I still remember the good old days.:)