z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jeff270 said:

Commercial fisherman means a person whose livelihood depends upon the harvesting of shellfish, finfish or other natural, renewable products of the sea, ...

For starters, how about having to show a copy of your tax return where you state your occupation.  If you are Joe Blow who lists his occupation as "Electrical Engineer", you don't get a commercial striper license.

Well I have no coals in this fire but it appears in MA a commercial fisherman is one that goes and gets the license. 

Whats the commercial slot limit anyway? 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Some certainly die from being mishandled by idiots but what’s your point? Do you think we should keep all the big fish because they “might” die?

My point is that rec. are killing both little fish (slot sized) and big fish (over slot sized). 1 at 36" brought back the population once before, when it was in even worse shape than today. The slot limit is merely an attempt tome sure that everyone who wants to can go home with a fish.

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

My point is that rec. are killing both little fish (slot sized) and big fish (over slot sized). 1 at 36" brought back the population once before, when it was in even worse shape than today. The slot limit is merely an attempt tome sure that everyone who wants to can go home with a fish.

I’m with you. If you set the limit to 1 @36” then every fish has a chance to breed. If we kill the slot fish at 29” AND we have a decent mortality rate on the big girls, we lose far more fish for the future. 

45 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Well I have no coals in this fire but it appears in MA a commercial fisherman is one that goes and gets the license. 

Whats the commercial slot limit anyway? 

Comm is 35” and up. 

32 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

I’m with you. If you set the limit to 1 @36” then every fish has a chance to breed. If we kill the slot fish at 29” AND we have a decent mortality rate on the big girls, we lose far more fish for the future. 

A 28” fish has also had a chance to breed. Maybe a better idea would be a bigger slot from 36”-40” that would be tougher to catch and would save the really big girls. Or just C & R for all. 

Catch and release all would mean if you enjoy eating fish,don’t have a boat,and are on a fixed income then your just not going to eat much fish or not eat any.

11 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So they can keep a 50"?

I wasn't aware. 

They have to clip the fin right? 

Yes anything over 35”. I’m not sure if they have to clip a fin in MA. 

43 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

Catch and release all would mean if you enjoy eating fish,don’t have a boat,and are on a fixed income then your just not going to eat much fish or not eat any.

There are still other species to catch and eat than bass. We aren’t allowed to hunt and eat every species of mammal or bird. 

Soo...I don't  fish weekends..googan factor is off the chart. M-W-F are out for a while now..that leaves me Tues-Thurs...2 days a week! Cripes...I might as well still be working!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

How about barbless only and can't leave the water unless you're keeping?

Maybe also shut down for July to avoid heat stress.

Edited by ifishthebadspots

7 mins ago, z-man said:

There are still other species to catch and eat than bass. We aren’t allowed to hunt and eat every species of mammal or bird. 

"But I LOVE passenger pigeon"

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

How many of those over slot sized fish do you think survive being pulled out of the water, weighed on a boga grip, have pictures taken and then dumped back into the water really survive?

Significantly more fish than were caught and released before the slot was implemented - mishandling fish is a separate issue 

2 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Same as wild game, right? Also, I don't imagine many people on a fixed income are enjoying much striped bass at $25/lb...