z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

362 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Commercial fisherman are criminals on the level of drug cartels

20 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

I’m not saying I want anything to change. I appreciate their crime and the contraband it allows to be sold… but it’s still interstate crime at worst and extralegal trade/corruption at best. 

NJ guy commenting on crime and corruption....that's rich lol

1 min ago, FoliFish said:

NJ guy commenting on crime and corruption....that's rich lol

Not fa nothin Tone, but 12” for commercial only?? Summah not right 

Commercial regs should be such that every single fish you pull of the bottom dead (or almost dead) in your net counts against your quota, even if it's only a 6" flounder, 8" Sea Bass or 10" Striper.

You killed it, it counts, and when your quota is met you and your gear are off the water.

If it turns out that most of your quota was used on small fish that aren't sellable, oh well, tough.

This concept that comms should have to keep killing small fish and throwing them back dead in the quest to meet their quota because their size limits need to be the same as rec size limits to be fair is insane, and shows a complete lack of understanding with regard to math and trying to protect a resource.

20 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Commercial regs should be such that every single fish you pull of the bottom dead (or almost dead) in your net counts against your quota, even if it's only a 6" flounder, 8" Sea Bass or 10" Striper.

You killed it, it counts, and when your quota is met you and your gear are off the water.

If it turns out that most of your quota was used on small fish that aren't sellable, oh well, tough.

This concept that comms should have to keep killing small fish and throwing them back dead in the quest to meet their quota because their size limits need to be the same as rec size limits to be fair is insane, and shows a complete lack of understanding with regard to math and trying to protect a resource.

You have no idea what is going on. We are talking about commercial striped bass fishing in massachusetts. It's rod and reel only no one is out netting them...

1 hour ago, BG_NJ said:

31 mins ago, FindTheFleet said:

You have no idea what is going on. We are talking about commercial striped bass fishing in massachusetts. It's rod and reel only no one is out netting them...

In the last few pages, there has been mention of multiple fisheries, and fisheries management in general.

I also was not aware that Comms could sell 12" Stripers.  I thought that comment was about another species.

I think a huge thing is that tons of people are going to be fishing for stripers for fun/recreationally and a lot of people say if I can have a good day out on the water and make some money at the same time why wouldn’t I do it - hence recremercials

14 mins ago, stripahslayah said:

I think a huge thing is that tons of people are going to be fishing for stripers for fun/recreationally and a lot of people say if I can have a good day out on the water and make some money at the same time why wouldn’t I do it - hence recremercials

Not really. 

You can go recreational shell fishing, and you cannot sell, nor barter with them.   The same applies to recreational lobstering. 10 traps, 15 lobster daily limit, strictly for consumption. No sale.

The mindset that you cannot have a nice day otw fishing, without somehow profiting from it, even if it's just to cover expenses, needs to stop.  

One of the problems here is, people are voicing opinions, and act like they know what they are talking about, and they weren't even born when the fishery collapsed the first time.

2 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

51 mins ago, stripahslayah said:

Not true. 15 fish 36”+

Ah, so the conversation isn't only about the comm Striper fishery.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Ah, so the conversation isn't only about the comm Striper fishery.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

He is literally talking about the Striper limit its 15 fish 35 inches

Edited by FindTheFleet

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Not really. 

You can go recreational shell fishing, and you cannot sell, nor barter with them.   The same applies to recreational lobstering. 10 traps, 15 lobster daily limit, strictly for consumption. No sale.

The mindset that you cannot have a nice day otw fishing, without somehow profiting from it, even if it's just to cover expenses, needs to stop.  

One of the problems here is, people are voicing opinions, and act like they know what they are talking about, and they weren't even born when the fishery collapsed the first time.

Two come to mind and now another shows up:beatin: 

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Not really. 

So true........:banghd: