z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

362 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I’m not trying to defend anything, but deliberately misstating information as basic as who manages what only serves to further confuse the issues. 

Should be what board/organization is not competent for each resource.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what stripers are paying?  I've asked a few people, but their answers were all over the place, and I think it was more conjecture than fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, bob_G said:

Does anyone know what stripers are paying?  I've asked a few people, but their answers were all over the place, and I think it was more conjecture than fact.

Well I suppose I'll refrain from adding to the possible rekindling of 'In Search Of.." episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, bob_G said:

 

Does anyone know what stripers are paying?  I've asked a few people, but their answers were all over the place, and I think it was more conjecture than fact.

 

From what I’ve heard through my uncle most buyers are paying $3-4 a pound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, stripahslayah said:

From what I’ve heard through my uncle most buyers are paying $3-4 a pound

That would be considerably more than I hear tuna is getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jason colby said:

There is no mistaking/misstating when I say that ALL FISH are being mismanaged. Even your poster child fish you have been waving around like sea bass and haddock, it was only a matter of time to see them drop off as well and they are both way down this year. Then, true to form, "management" will do nothing until the situation becomes dire and they will each need a 10 (or 20) year rebuilding plan.

The (irresponsible) people who come up with concepts like "unlimited haddock" for draggers (like in state waters of Massachusetts) or an 86% commercial increase in commercial sea bass quota and people who play dumb (like you) have zero accountability so when you screw up and rec fishermen suffer then you hide behind "this is the law" or "we used the best available science". It is time you all (people in fishery management) did the right thing for a change and work you change the very foundation of the system that you are in because as it is being done now, it isn't working.

Since The MSA we have had a virtual 100% failure rate with most fisheries. Where is the accountability measure for that?

Shine the light bro. More questions like this. Accountability from every entity making decisions that affect all of us. We shouldn't have ask for a FICA report. How about those seals ? Lack of public access ? Everything the government touches is mismanaged because of the lack of immediate transparency and bad bad bad decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully someday the commercial interest in striped bass will fade and be a distant memory, the mayhem it creates is unreal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, bob_G said:

Well, not necessarily.  If they keep having horrible spawns, year after year, that means no recruitment. Combine that with all the prime, genetically superior breeders being removed from the remaining stocks, the future isn't bright.

100% right, future is looking pretty sketchy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, stripedbassking said:

Hopefully someday the commercial interest in striped bass will fade and be a distant memory, the mayhem it creates is unreal 

Yea there has been no mayhem on recreational days.  Other than the 200+ recreational boats/kayaks/paddleboards from Duxbury to Plymouth snagging and dropping everyday.....having whales fall on them.  That is not a commercial **** show.  That is a bunch of shoemakers that follow the fishing reports.

 

The futures looking like maybe we will move on from striped bass.  A little more global warming and dis interest in striped bass than BOOOM.  Catching 100lbCobias in the ditch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, FoulHooker said:

Yea there has been no mayhem on recreational days.  Other than the 200+ recreational boats/kayaks/paddleboards from Duxbury to Plymouth snagging and dropping everyday.....having whales fall on them.  That is not a commercial **** show.  That is a bunch of shoemakers that follow the fishing reports.

 

The futures looking like maybe we will move on from striped bass.  A little more global warming and dis interest in striped bass than BOOOM.  Catching 100lbCobias in the ditch.

Mayhem on both ends of the fishery unfortunately, but it makes you wonder how many poached fish are going uncounted, along with all the other stuff happening…. All in all it’s not good on either side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2022 at 6:45 PM, bob_G said:

Does anyone know what stripers are paying?  I've asked a few people, but their answers were all over the place, and I think it was more conjecture than fact.

On Monday July 18th it was $4.65 at atlantic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stripedbassking said:

Mayhem on both ends of the fishery unfortunately, but it makes you wonder how many poached fish are going uncounted, along with all the other stuff happening…. All in all it’s not good on either side.

They’re getting counted… just as Monday’s fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

They’re getting counted… just as Monday’s fish.

Yeah I remember Massachusetts basically said “hey everyone take whatever you want and just turn it in on the right days”….. just more parts to the mayhem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, stripedbassking said:

Hopefully someday the commercial interest in striped bass will fade and be a distant memory, the mayhem it creates is unreal 

Don't forget recs contribute to the demise Big time too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.