z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

165 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

At the very least, we should limit commercial licenses to those that can show they made a significant portion of their income from stripers in the past.   Get rid of the weekend warriors that are out their for beer and gas money.

And while we are at it, lets get rid of the rest of the part time workers in this state......................

Just now, b-ware said:

And while we are at it, lets get rid of the rest of the part time workers in this state......................

What does that have to do with my statement?  I asked that those who claim commercial status in regards to striped bass, prove it.

Whats so difficult with that?

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

What does that have to do with my statement?  I asked that those who claim commercial status in regards to striped bass, prove it.

In all reality, buying a commercial license make you a commercial fisherman...................

3 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Must be tough for those folks in the  winter. All they can sell are hold overs

I feel the resource must be shared. I don't want one side having control. Lets make decisions that make sense. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I feel the resource must be shared. I don't want one side having control. Lets make decisions that make sense. 

Agreed, my thoughts would be to purchase tags for every fish harvested along with a realistically priced commercial license.............

PS no more from me till Sunday, heading out to my part time home.....................

Edited by b-ware

14 hours ago, z-man said:

Comms should be harvesting the same size fish as recs. It makes no sense for one group to kill the size fish that the other group is protecting. 

Couldn’t agree more. This is my whole issue with the commercial bass fishery - everyone pushes for taking care of overslot fish right until commercial season. Then it’s open season

11 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The rec. slot limit is the disaster most of us thought it would be.

I think it’s been one of the best decisions that has been made in my lifetime of striper fishing.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I agree we should share it by making it catch and release only for all parties or at least make it the same size slot limit for the entire coast, recreational and commercial. This current nonsense of allowing southern states to kill small fish us here to kill medium fish and the comms to kill large fish is idiotic. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

In all reality, buying a commercial license make you a commercial fisherman...................

No, it means you have a commercial license, nothing more.  Show proof that you are using that license to substantially support your livelihood. 

Edited by Jeff270

43 mins ago, stripahslayah said:

I think it’s been one of the best decisions that has been made in my lifetime of striper fishing.

How many of those over slot sized fish do you think survive being pulled out of the water, weighed on a boga grip, have pictures taken and then dumped back into the water really survive?

16 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

No, it means you have a commercial license, nothing more.  Show proof that you are using that license to substantially support your livelihood. 

Define "substantially support"

9 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Define "substantially support"

Commercial fisherman means a person whose livelihood depends upon the harvesting of shellfish, finfish or other natural, renewable products of the sea, ...

For starters, how about having to show a copy of your tax return where you state your occupation.  If you are Joe Blow who lists his occupation as "Electrical Engineer", you don't get a commercial striper license.

2 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

Commercial fisherman means a person whose livelihood depends upon the harvesting of shellfish, finfish or other natural, renewable products of the sea, ...

For starters, how about having to show a copy of your tax return where you state your occupation.  If you are Joe Blow who lists his occupation as "Electrical Engineer", you don't get a commercial striper license.

Ok I agree that is a fair Assessment

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

How many of those over slot sized fish do you think survive being pulled out of the water, weighed on a boga grip, have pictures taken and then dumped back into the water really survive?

Some certainly die from being mishandled by idiots but what’s your point? Do you think we should keep all the big fish because they “might” die?