z-man

Commercial Bass Season

Rate this topic

362 posts in this topic

It looks like the comm season starts 6/16. Wonder where these stripers at Wegmans came from? What a deal at $25 a pound. They also have a bunch of tiny whole black sea bass there. It really annoys me that the comm size limit is 12” while rec is 16”. 

17BDCEC2-DDEC-40D4-BC64-6501346CDD25.jpeg

2 hours ago, z-man said:

It looks like the comm season starts 6/16. Wonder where these stripers at Wegmans came from? What a deal at $25 a pound. They also have a bunch of tiny whole black sea bass there. It really annoys me that the comm size limit is 12” while rec is 16”. 

Pretty sure the RI commercial season opened 6/1.

Why would anyone pay $24.99 a pound for Striped Bass at a store? Fresh it is good tasting but not worth $25.00 IMO. It's good if you catch it yourself; but not that good that I kept fish that would survive on release.

Our family has been commercial bass fishing for years. Even though we haven’t sold a fish the last couple years I still feel bad about doing it - doesn’t seem right to kill a breeder fish for $200. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, K Foley said:

Why would anyone pay $24.99 a pound for Striped Bass at a store? Fresh it is good tasting but not worth $25.00 IMO. It's good if you catch it yourself; but not that good that I kept fish that would survive on release.

I have no idea. I personally think it sucks compared to most of the other fish we have in New England. 

Edited by z-man
Typo

12 mins ago, stripahslayah said:

Our family has been commercial bass fishing for years. Even though we haven’t sold a fish the last couple years I still feel bad about doing it - doesn’t seem right to kill a breeder fish for $200. 

That’s good. They are more valuable alive than dead. 

Even the most primitive societies knew that eating the seed crop was an act of final desperation. And yet, here we are, dumber that a neanderthal. 

19 hours ago, z-man said:

Wondering if that was a wegmans in the general vicinity of Sharon or Newton?

I can’t believe MA hasn’t changed their commercial regulations. It is so ridiculous that the rest of us are trying to save the fish over 35” and the commercial anglers are allowed to kill 45 big fish a week now and then 75 a week starting in October. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I can’t believe MA hasn’t changed their commercial regulations. 

They have...used to be a million pounds. So a 25% reduction

28 mins ago, TonyO said:

They have...used to be a million pounds. So a 25% reduction

I’m talking size limits. Comms should be harvesting the same size fish as recs. It makes no sense for one group to kill the size fish that the other group is protecting. 

3 hours ago, z-man said:

I’m talking size limits. Comms should be harvesting the same size fish as recs. It makes no sense for one group to kill the size fish that the other group is protecting. 

The rec. slot limit is the disaster most of us thought it would be. The commercial limits are fine, make it 1 over 36 inches for Recs.

Pretty sure nobody is going to go hungry if we released all sport fish. Including the comms. My guess is that very few, if any are not paying all their bills with striper flesh. If so, may need a new career once we’ve killed em all (soon).

9 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Pretty sure nobody is going to go hungry if we released all sport fish. Including the comms. My guess is that very few, if any are not paying all their bills with striper flesh. If so, may need a new career once we’ve killed em all (soon).

At the very least, we should limit commercial licenses to those that can show they made a significant portion of their income from stripers in the past.   Get rid of the weekend warriors that are out their for beer and gas money.