Maine Guide

Ukraine?

Rate this topic

6,458 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

19 mins ago, eryv said:

Your lies just started getting deeper. Did Ukrainian nazi humiliated wwii veterans all over Ukrainian cities? It is very simple question:)

All over, huh? Load of sh1t hand picked from russian media. I'll just address the incident you linked above. 3 pro-russian orgs decided to show up in Lviv and parade russian banners around. It was an obvious set up to stir sh1t up. Obviously you know nothing about it, because you just google sh1t and you have no idea how to work with sources. You can read this article, you can also find it on wikipedia with multiple sources. You are either naive or, I apologize but it has to be said, not very bright.

globalvoices.org/2011/05/13/ukraine-the-untold-story-of-the-victory-day-clashes-in-lvov/

Screenshot_20220808-234745_Chrome.jpg

Edited by ifishthebadspots

Just passing information from a Legitimate source of information, and of course, allowing Keltan and eryv the opportunity to spout more pro-russian BS:

Associated Press

Russian disinformation spreading in new ways despite bans

By DAVID KLEPPER, Associated Press - 57m ago

React|9

Save

WASHINGTON (AP) — After Russia invaded Ukraine last February, the European Union moved to block RT and Sputnik, two of the Kremlin's top channels for spreading propaganda and misinformation about the war.

Nearly six months later, the number of sites pushing that same content has exploded as Russia found ways to evade the ban. They've rebranded their work to disguise it. They've shifted some propaganda duties to diplomats. And they've cut and pasted much of the content on new websites — ones that until now had no obvious ties to Russia.

NewsGuard, a New York-based firm that studies and tracks online misinformation, has now identified 250 websites actively spreading Russian disinformation about the war, with dozens of new ones added in recent months.

Claims on these sites include allegations that Ukraine's army has staged some deadly Russian attacks to curry global support, that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is faking public appearances, or that Ukrainian refugees are committing crimes in Germany and Poland.

Some of the sites pose as independent think tanks or news outlets. About half are English-language, while others are in French, German or Italian. Many were set up long before the war and were not obviously tied to the Russian government until they suddenly began parroting Kremlin talking points.

“They may be establishing sleeper sites,” said NewsGuard co-CEO Gordon Crovitz. Sleeper sites are websites created for a disinformation campaign that lay largely dormant, slowly building an audience through innocuous or unrelated posts, and then switching to propaganda or disinformation at an appointed time.

While NewsGuard's analysis found that much of the disinformation about the war in Ukraine is coming from Russia, it did find instances of false claims with a pro-Ukrainian bent. They included claims about a hotshot fighter ace known as the Ghost of Kyiv that officials later admitted was a myth.

YouTube, TikTok and Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, all pledged to remove RT and Sputnik from their platforms within the European Union. But researchers have found that in some cases all Russia had to do to evade the ban was to post it from a different account.

The Disinformation Situation Center, a Europe-based coalition of disinformation researchers, found that some RT video content was showing up on social media under a new brand name and logo. In the case of some video footage, the RT brand was simply removed from the video and reposted on a new YouTube channel not covered by the EU's ban.

More aggressive content moderation of social media could make it harder for Russia to circumvent the ban, according to Felix Kartte, a senior adviser at Reset, a U.K.-based nonprofit that has funded the Disinformation Situation Center's work and is critical of social media’s role in democratic discourse.

"Rather than putting effective content moderation systems in place, they are playing whack-a-mole with the Kremlin’s disinformation apparatus,” Kartte said.

YouTube's parent company did not immediately respond to questions seeking comment about the ban.

In the EU, officials are trying to shore up their defenses. This spring the EU approved legislation that would require tech companies to do more to root out disinformation. Companies that fail could face big fines.

European Commission Vice President Vera Jourova last month called disinformation “a growing problem in the EU, and we really have to take stronger measures.”

The proliferation of sites spreading disinformation about the war in Ukraine shows that Russia had a plan in case governments or tech companies tried to restrict RT and Sputnik. That means Western leaders and tech companies will have to do more than shutter one or two websites if they hope to stop the flow of Kremlin disinformation.

“The Russians are a lot smarter,” said NewsGuard's other co-CEO, Steven Brill.

5 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Just passing information from a Legitimate source of information, and of course, allowing Keltan and eryv the opportunity to spout more pro-russian BS:

What this really shows is just how long Putin has been planning this aggression.

6 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

What this really shows is just how long Putin has been planning this aggression.

Since 2014. 

9 hours ago, eryv said:

Your lies just started getting deeper. Did Ukrainian nazi humiliated wwii veterans all over Ukrainian cities? It is very simple question:)

Do you really believe everything Russian television tells you? 

We have freedom of the press here and I still don’t believe everything my government tells me. 

Where were the Nazis in Ukraine when the pro-Russian regime was in charge? Why didn’t they take care of the problem? 

Another billion down the tubes:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration said Monday it was shipping its biggest yet direct delivery of weapons to Ukraine as that country prepares for a potentially decisive counteroffensive in the south against Russia, sending $1 billion in rockets, ammunition and other material to Ukraine from Defense Department stockpiles.

The new U.S. arms shipment would further strengthen Ukraine as it mounts the counteroffensive, which analysts say for the first time could allow Kyiv to shape the course of the rest of the war, now at the half-year mark.

Just now, charloots said:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Biden administration said Monday it was shipping its biggest yet direct delivery of weapons to Ukraine as that country prepares for a potentially decisive counteroffensive in the south against Russia, sending $1 billion in rockets, ammunition and other material to Ukraine from Defense Department stockpiles.

The new U.S. arms shipment would further strengthen Ukraine as it mounts the counteroffensive, which analysts say for the first time could allow Kyiv to shape the course of the rest of the war, now at the half-year mark.

Why do I hear a flushing sound?

$9 billion in financial aid, another $45 billion in defense contracts to replace the equipment we sent over to them.  How do I get on this gravy train?

35 mins ago, charloots said:

Speaking about counteroffensive.

Statements about the counteroffensive of Ukrainian troops on Kherson were part of an information and psychological operation, said Mikhail Podolyak, adviser to the head of Volodymyr Zelensky's office.

36 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Why do I hear a flushing sound?

If you hear something by your own ears you better believe in it:

Advertisements for the sale of Switchblade 300 kamikaze drones appeared on the darknet. US transfers these miniature loitering munitions to the Kyiv regime. And the Ukrainians are already taking the opportunity to try to earn money by selling modern weapons systems. Small enough to fit in a backpack, the Switchblade launches from a tube, flies to the target area, and crashes into its target while detonating its explosive warhead. I won’t be surprised if contract killings using American-made UAVs are soon recorded, or if these drones end up in the hands of ISIS terrorists. It's strange that HIMARS is not being sold yet. But I may be mistaken?

Blade.png

1 min ago, eryv said:

If you hear something by your own ears you better believe in it:

Advertisements for the sale of Switchblade 300 kamikaze drones appeared on the darknet. US transfers these miniature loitering munitions to the Kyiv regime. And the Ukrainians are already taking the opportunity to try to earn money by selling modern weapons systems. Small enough to fit in a backpack, the Switchblade launches from a tube, flies to the target area, and crashes into its target while detonating its explosive warhead. I won’t be surprised if contract killings using American-made UAVs are soon recorded, or if these drones end up in the hands of ISIS terrorists. It's strange that HIMARS is not being sold yet. But I may be mistaken?

Blade.png

If it's on the internet it must be true!

Just now, Gotcow? said:

If it's on the internet it must be true!

what the hell is the darknet???

4 hours ago, BassRashThumb said:

We have freedom of the press here

That is why our free press had been demonizing Trump for 6 years?

45 mins ago, eryv said:

That is why our free press had been demonizing Trump for 6 years?

Eryv. You’re trying too hard here. Pull it back a bit.

There was a spectrum of opinion about the former president and it was widely published and available. 

Can you even publish a criticism of President Putin in Russia? People are getting arrested for holding up a blank sheet of paper as a form of protest. 

I hope the Russian model is unappealing to Americans and particularly to Americans who value the Constitution. We may complain about press coverage but we value a free and independent press and the right to criticize our leaders. 

Iranian drones are supposedly being used by Russia in Ukraine.  Remember Putin’s shopping excursion? It got me thinking about who is actively supporting the Russian invasion. 

Iran. Syria. North Korea. Serbia. 

There are other countries like China and India who are playing the situation for their own benefit. 

My parents always told me that I would be judged by the company I keep.