Snuffy

Buxton Fishing Report through 6/13/22

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

IMG_20220604_070659_447.heicJust back from 9 days of surf fishing at Buxton. The water was only clean-"clear" for only two days. Those were Saturday June 4th and Sunday June 12th. I caught 80 nice whiting " Sea Mullet", 2 sheepshead, 3 nice pompano, and released 8 over the slot puppy drum. All were caught on sand fleas. I had my best day on June 4th. I caught 44 whiting and my fishing buddy Butch caught 30. I, along with many locals, consider Butch to be the best surf fisherman for whiting, puppy drum, pompano, etc on the Island. He's also caught 19 citation cobia from the surf...a feat that's probably unmatched. He fishes 2 rods for whiting and 1 for cobia.. You can set your watch because everyday at 11:30 as he puts them in the rack and goes back home to eat lunch. It doesn't matter to him if all three rods are bent over with a fish on each, he still loads them up and heads home. He will return around 2pm each day. BTW, Butch is 76 but doesn't act or look like it.

I caught two of the pompano and 4 whiting before 7 am on Sunday the 12th. I arrive at either Ramp 44 or 43 at 5:30 to 5:45 each morning, so that I can be the 1st truck on the beach and I don't leave the beach until 5pm. Neither ramp opens until 6am. If you want to catch fish from the best holes get out of the bed...otherwise a die hard surf fisherman like myself will be there to take your place.

Enjoyed two fish fries at Butch's and I grilled pork chops for my fishing buddies. Many good times and great fellowship was enjoyed with my friends.

Michael "Mullet Man" Creech

20220613_092558.jpg

IMG_20220607_113357_140.jpg

What ramps were you on?  I was there from 6/11 - 6/17 and it was a dead zone.  I fished from ramp 32 to 48.  

I was not fishing with sand fleas, I wish I was though.  Was using Fish gum, fish bites, and fresh shrimp on my pompano rigs.  I had shark rigs out daily with only a run in with a large stingray. 

Ventured into the sound and got on a nice drum bite, we caught 4..  

Ramps 43 and 44. I only use sand fleas. I do use the green tail shrimp for Puppy Drum during March, April, and early May. I am at Ramp 43 fishing as I type this response. 

Michael

20220622_182949.jpg

20220622_182955.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, Snuffy said:

Ramps 43 and 44. I only use sand fleas. I do use the green tail shrimp for Puppy Drum during March, April, and early May. I am at Ramp 43 fishing as I type this response. 

Michael

20220622_182949.jpg

20220622_182955.jpg

Lesson learned.  Need to invest in a sand flea rake then.  I’ll be back in September and October. 

Edited by animalbarrie