stripahslayah

Sharks and Stripers

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kookermonga said:

In my experience the struggling/fighting fish is what will draw a bite.  so you should be ok releasing/reviving a fish that isnt battling you.  but you legitimately have to be careful these days it is not a joke there are a ton of GWs and seals around Billingsgate and ptown especially.  There are multiple fish taken by sharks daily out there.

That’s better to hear. We net all of our fish and normally just throw them back but since this was such a big fish that put up a good fight I wanted to give her a proper release. Just didn’t occur to me in the moment 

3 hours ago, K Foley said:

The inspector general will now conduct a full inquiry into your claim.

Kevin, to me it looks like it was cut with an axe, staged maybe, feed it to the chickens..........................

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

Kevin, to me it looks like it was cut with an axe, staged maybe, feed it to the chickens..........................

That information will come out when Inspector Joe G Gadget finishes his work. the fat lady has not sung yet.

10 hours ago, K Foley said:

That information will come out when Inspector Joe G Gadget finishes his work. the fat lady has not sung yet.

Thats true Kev, but, I am kind of worried about Joe and his home life, rumor has it that him and Alexa are no longer on speaking terms......................

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Thats true Kev, but, I am kind of worried about Joe and his home life, rumor has it that him and Alexa are no longer on speaking terms......................

Oh. no!

18 hours ago, Joe G said:

Bob.  Strikes me as a pretty clean bit, yes?  I see no jagged edges as in post # 4.  Which, as I recall, brings me to the following point.

Wasn't there some question about this pic some months back and someone questioned if in fact a shark could have severed that bass so cleanly, and quite possibly it could have been a seal, rather than a shark, that halved the bass?

Sharks can cut very cleanly.

A few years ago, I grabbed the leader to swing a false albacore over the side.  As I lifted, I was shocked to see blood fly everywhere, as only half a fish landed on the deck.  I looked into the water to see a small mako--maybe five feet or so--swimming around wondering where the other half of his lunch went.  The mako cut the ablie so cleanly that I didn't even feel a tug as  I puilled it out of the water, and you couldn;'t have made a neater cut with a bandsaw.

17 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Do brown sharks ever take a seal?

If warm water brings tiger sharks here, perhaps they can help.

Browns are fish eaters.  Most of the browns that we see inshore aren't much bigger--and may be smaller--than the seals, and are markedly smaller than the big gray seals that they get on the Cape.  

Most browns run four or five feet and 50-75 pounds; the largest I ever caught in nearly 50 years of shark fishing was about 7 feet (fork) and maybe 200 pounds.  That's about the same weight as an adult harbor seal, and roughly a quarter the size of a big male gray seal, which can weigh well over 800.  Browns aren't going to start a fight with something that size when they have all the bunker and chub mackerel that they can eat, with far less chance of being injured.

A bigger tiger could be a different issue, which might take a seal if the opportunity arose.  Seal parts have also occasionally been found in big female makos.

I'm not sure I should wish for more tigers, in close, in seal waters. They'd bring complications of their own.

Nothing to do but go for the big guns. CWitek, you have connections, can you get some green cards issued to north Canadian orcas that eat mammals to come south and chew on our seals?

The Inuits can help us with our seal problem, they use the entire animal and nothing would go to waste. It would be a win-win. Ask them to leave 8-900 and we'll keep them on speed dial when the population gets out of hand again. 

Can i jump on the monkey pile on Joe G......

24 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Can i jump on the monkey pile on Joe G......

Of course you can, he needs all the help he can get.............(as long as it's free)

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Sharks can cut very cleanly.

A few years ago, I grabbed the leader to swing a false albacore over the side.  As I lifted, I was shocked to see blood fly everywhere, as only half a fish landed on the deck.  I looked into the water to see a small mako--maybe five feet or so--swimming around wondering where the other half of his lunch went.  The mako cut the ablie so cleanly that I didn't even feel a tug as  I puilled it out of the water, and you couldn;'t have made a neater cut with a bandsaw.

That is interesting to hear, CW.   Thanks.  

Your experience hopefully convinces others that a shark could very well have halved Bob’s bass and his conclusion that it did should be testimony enough. 

Months back, some speculated that a seal may have been the perpetrator.  To now suggest it was halved by an ax and purposely staged is frankly just plain silly and preposterous.  

Edited by Joe G

39 mins ago, Joe G said:

Your experience hopefully convinces others that a shark could very well have halved Bob’s bass and his conclusion that it did should be testimony enough. 

Months back, some speculated that a seal may have been the perpetrator.  To now suggest it was halved by an ax and purposely staged is frankly just plain silly and preposterous.  

A hoax. :laugh:. Yup a huge Machievellian plot I hatched over 47 years ago.  You see, I had a vision. An epiphany if you will. I envisioned technology would eventually evolve, and link up everyone in the world. We would all able to share thoughts, opinions and photos instantaneously.  

So rather than act upon it, and become fabulously wealthy, I decided to stage this photo. Hang onto it for almost a half century, so I could fool some stumpjumper from Ware.

Yup, makes sense.

30 mins ago, bob_G said:

A hoax. :laugh:. Yup a huge Machievellian plot I hatched over 47 years ago.  You see, I had a vision. An epiphany if you will. I envisioned technology would eventually evolve, and link up everyone in the world. We would all able to share thoughts, opinions and photos instantaneously.  

So rather than act upon it, and become fabulously wealthy, I decided to stage this photo. Hang onto it for almost a half century, so I could fool some stumpjumper from Ware.

Yup, makes sense.

Well, seeing that you have a penchant for persistently exaggerating your exploits to the point of being extremley entertaining, we the stump jumpers of SOL and beyond, implore you to come up with more of your adventures.............

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Does this mean the investigation is over and conclude fraud does not exist?: