Sharks and Stripers

Rate this topic

As I was releasing my first fish of the year yesterday, stories came into my mind of guys having fish stolen by sharks either while bringing them in or releasing them. I was in very deep water so I was not concerned but the thought of a shark taking off my hand was very spooky indeed. See pic of the revive below. Any thoughts on the danger of sharks to stripers/striper fishermen?

546453A9-0347-4A97-8414-8F4CE6657734.jpeg

One night a few years ago I had a large shark (10'+) cruise by in the rip while wetsuiting a spot near Woods Hole. An experience to say the least when your 40yrds out on a partially submerged rockpile.

There's lots of Browns in the Boulder fields as well but they generally leave you alone unless your throwing snakes.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

That's me, 1975.  I was fishing an umbrella on wire in Quicks Hole. I knew there was a shark hanging around since I saw the fin a few times over the course of the day.  

Hooked up a double, bass and blue on the umbrella when...chomp! Mr Shark took half my fish. 

original_6f839364-70ac-4d1d-a7c0-13fb021a13e1_IMG_20210221_144323.jpg

Bob.  Strikes me as a pretty clean bit, yes?  I see no jagged edges as in post # 4.  Which, as I recall, brings me to the following point.

Wasn't there some question about this pic some months back and someone questioned if in fact a shark could have severed that bass so cleanly, and quite possibly it could have been a seal, rather than a shark, that halved the bass?

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

That's me, 1975.  I was fishing an umbrella on wire in Quicks Hole. I knew there was a shark hanging around since I saw the fin a few times over the course of the day.  

Hooked up a double, bass and blue on the umbrella when...chomp! Mr Shark took half my fish. 

original_6f839364-70ac-4d1d-a7c0-13fb021a13e1_IMG_20210221_144323.jpg

The inspector general will now conduct a full inquiry into your claim.

@stripahslayah watch out for seals too.  I almost had one take my hand off last year when I was leaning over to land a fish in CCB.  In my experience the struggling/fighting fish is what will draw a bite.  so you should be ok releasing/reviving a fish that isnt battling you.  but you legitimately have to be careful these days it is not a joke there are a ton of GWs and seals around Billingsgate and ptown especially.  There are multiple fish taken by sharks daily out there.

Edited by Kookermonga

2 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Do brown sharks ever take a seal?

If warm water brings tiger sharks here, perhaps they can help.

I would highly doubt it.....but they'll smash an eel, live or rigged.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333