Surfcaster Chris

Cutting VMC treble hooks

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Ok so I know some plug builders do it, and the VMC folks say not to do it...How many of you out there have been cutting you VMC treble hooks to fit directly to a belly swivel for your plugs.  Someone asked me to do it for them on a couple of spooks I was building for them but declined after I saw what VMC said.  What have your experiences been, specifically with the VMC hooks?

I started a topic on this a couple weeks ago, check a few pages back. I haven’t had a single issue with them and have been implementing the practice more and more these days. 

Had issues with cutting VMC’s awhile ago, seems to be fine now as I have cut some for my plugs. 
Still prefer Mustads when I need to cut.

I've probably cut over 1000 VMC hooks by now and I've never had a problem. Ever. Those are my 2 cents.

If you look closely at VMC Hooks you will see a small Indentation Line on the Shank just below the Hook Eye.  I use a Dremel and cut them there. Never had a problem.

I've cut a few hundred VMC trebles, and never had a single one fail (at the cut). I'm very gentle when I bend the cut eye, and I only offset it as much as I have to to get the plug on, but it's pretty easy and bombproof once you get the hang of it. Imagine the hook(s) would probably bend before the eye fails.