Njsurfer90

Nucanoe

5 posts in this topic

Hello fellow kayakers … does anyone here in the northeast or east coast perhaps has a nucanoe frontier 12 how does it handle rough weather my plan is to fish in the fall looking for some input on this thanks 

I have one and have a Hobie and have used many other types over the years...that being said I enjoy my NuCanoe and use it for freshwater.  I have an regular electric motor and extension tiller on the flat stern and its great.  I also have a trailer.   Super stable and comfortable.   But that is freshwater.   I use my Hobie Revo in the ocean and rougher water as it is far superior to the the NuCanoe in the ocean and bay.  The NuCanoe is heavy and slow to paddle and although stable its a tank and I would not want to go far paddling it as I find the Revo easier and more efficient.  I am older though and not as agile anymore and maybe a young fit person would do better but still not a great paddling boat.  If you had a motor though I bet it would be stable and good in the chop.  Its wide and that helps stability but makes paddling harder.

I have paddled all of the NuCanoes. I’ve always wanted to love the Frontier. It’s super sturdy and stable, but it is a dog to paddle. If I were only fishing in ponds or small lakes, it would be great. If I were bringing it out on the big water, I would need to rig a motor on it. I will say though, the NuCanoes deck design is the best out there. It’s flat, and open, and most important is it drains water very well. The Pursuit sounds like a good option for you. It’s very much like the Frontier, slightly narrower beam, but much nicer to paddle. 

I fished a pursuit hard last year. It will handle the current and rough waters fine.

They are insanely heavy, terrible to paddle and do awful in the wind. F12 and unlimited will be worse.

Nucanoes are designed to have motors on them. Paddling efficiently is a second thought, maybe even third.

I have a 12' Frontier. As stated it is insanely heavy. It is however incredibly stable in what I would consider sketchy waters. I have a 55lb thrust minnkota on the stern with a foot steering setup and I love it. I have been in 4 ft swells between the Inner and Outer Walls at Cape Henlopen and high traffic times at the Roosevelt Inlet and although it is annoying I haven't ever felt that I was anywhere near flipping. I do pay attention to the tide amplitude charts but that is mostly to guage the run time I would need to navigate without have to paddle too much if I run out of juice.