HarryHood711

Rear Flags

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

You guys know of anywhere local (LI, NY) or online that sells quality flags? I want to eliminate a lot of rear hooks on plugs. Much appreciated. 

Thanks again for the recommendation to buy from Bill (NJTramcar). He matched up colors beautifully. Still have a bunch to do but figured I’d show these even though I got flamed in another group for “ruining the plugs”, I’m sick of treble tangles and want to make releases easier at night. 

8CBF4195-CE8B-4A03-8080-DF8AE0FE223F.jpeg

3 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

Thanks again for the recommendation to buy from Bill (NJTramcar). He matched up colors beautifully. Still have a bunch to do but figured I’d show these even though I got flamed in another group for “ruining the plugs”, I’m sick of treble tangles and want to make releases easier at night. 

It’ll affect the casting distance and action. Why ruin a good plug? If your concerned for the fish, crush the barbs

2 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

It’ll affect the casting distance and action. Why ruin a good plug? If your concerned for the fish, crush the barbs

The barbs are crushed. I cant see how it will affect distance that much, many plugs now come with just a rear flag. 

24 mins ago, HarryHood711 said:

The barbs are crushed. I cant see how it will affect distance that much, many plugs now come with just a rear flag. 

darters are sensitive to weight changes removing hooks or adding larger hooks will effect the action greatly a lot of guys will  just switch to a single hook in the rear to prevent any change in action and be less damaging to fish like the new ss plugs come now 

Like the flag idea and have adopted a different mode that eliminates rear hooks.

Just my .02 is I wouldn't eliminate that weight on those Super strikes darters. I personally think it changes the action, again just my .02 

Below is that Dave anderson mod, I was thinking of leaving a tag end and tying some flash but haven't done that yet

IMG_5138.jpg.8ec479ff0d87d2ca340556465caa9049.jpg

1 min ago, fishinthedark said:

Like the flag idea and have adopted a different mode that eliminates rear hooks.

Just my .02 is I wouldn't eliminate that weight on those Super strikes darters. I personally think it changes the action, again just my .02 

Below is that Dave anderson mod, I was thinking of leaving a tag end and tying some flash but haven't done that yet

IMG_5138.jpg.8ec479ff0d87d2ca340556465caa9049.jpg

Perhaps I will do that. Did you do the schoolbus on the mag darter? That looks awesome

Yes, not the most skilled painter, but love that schoolbus bomber color, painted some in chicken scratch as well.

Cheap airbrush and some spray bomb poly is all you need.

1 hour ago, fishinthedark said:

Yes, not the most skilled painter, but love that schoolbus bomber color, painted some in chicken scratch as well.

Cheap airbrush and some spray bomb poly is all you need.

Sharpie mackerel Redfin you did on Cutty was professional, I always mess up Mack paint jobs.  

11 hours ago, HarryHood711 said:

Look great, Bill’s stuff is awesome.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know  I will catch some flack for this but I  have to say that those flags on the plugs look great but plan on missing many of the fish that hit those plugs. Plugs with just rear flags or weights or whatever don't hook nearly as many fish as those with tail trebles or single hooks. I cannot tell you how many bass I have caught and landed on plugs with tail hooks. I have fished my share of plugs without tail hooks too so I do have something to compare. The 7" Redfin comes to mind. Two trebles lots of fish. Just a belly treble equaled a frustrating amount of missed hits with this plug. If you want to reduce damage to the fish , why not crush your barbs and leave the plug with the "stock" hooks. I will also say that a SS darter with just a belly treble ( and flag) will have quite a different action than one with two trebles. It will not swim in stronger current as well either.

Edited by VanStaalSteve