gregory m

Fluke fishing

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Found a spot recently that is decently pressured but still produces good fluke. Typically, i use a fish finder rig with live minnows and a 1 oz sinker, but it can be a little slow. Recently someone recommended i use a bobber to cover more water, but how would i do that?? I dont know the exact depth of thd area i fish, but it ranges from 3-8 feet. What should i do??

Under your circumstances you may have to do what steelhead anglers do, am sure other float fishers for other species also. We pick the piece of water apart, the float itself will tell you all you need to know to do it, you would start at 3 ft and make your drift, next drift deeper, 6 inches/ a foot however fast you wamt to work, as long as the jig/bait is off the bottom it will pull the float vertical, anytime you are touching the float will tip some, maybe even stop. This tells you what you need to continue fishing and the spots covered well, work out the deep spots till you have them also covered well.

Are you drifting or fishing from shore?   I'd be fishing tandem jigheads just heavy enough touch bottom (3/8 or 1/2 oz likely) tipped with 4" gulp grubs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, wingsandwater said:

Are you drifting or fishing from shore?   I'd be fishing tandem jigheads just heavy enough touch bottom (3/8 or 1/2 oz likely) tipped with 4" gulp grubs.

I am fishing from shore, their is s fishing pier that goes out on the bay. I just went 2 days ago and it was the slowest I have ever seen it. I was there for 6 hours and caught one 16 inch fluke, which was the biggest of the day out of anyone there. I used the same rig/no bobber

Edited by gregory m

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup, I'd still stick with tandem jigheads or a single jighead with a teaser.   Cast out and bump it back in.  Fan cast and keep searching for them.  If you can, go on a blowout tide and look for the deeper cuts and other structure.  Make mental notes of where they are or make a small hidden mark on the pier so you know where to focus. A matter of feet could make the difference between catching or not.

Remember, they're ambush predators.  Bring your bait to them, don't expect them to come to your bait.

Edited by wingsandwater