Mike Oliver

TH Surf Fly lines

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Guys and Gals,

I met someone today who is making currently trout and switch fly lines. We talked about the possibility of producing the lines we need. 
Usual problem is volume. To make it viable between us we need to come up with a number of 50 pieces of one type. Intermediate WF  35 foot head integrated into intermediate running line 600 grain head weight to begin with. This would work with rods from 12’ 6 inches to 14 feet long. 
Cost very very ball parky $80.

Not sure if I am transgressing SOL rules if so Brian will I am sure bin me off.

If the discussions go further I could get 3 samples and would send  two of them over the pond to a couple of SOL guys to evaluate. I would evaluate the third.

It might turn to slush but it might not. So how many of you potentially might be interested .

Mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

Mike,

I have the two handed overhead  T&T Exocet ten weight 11' 2", that I use in the salt. If that prototype is not for a water load, Im in.

Paul

Yarddog.

At 600 grains it will be too much Line for your T and T .

No lines as far as I know ever built with water haul especially in mind. Any line can be cast that way. I have water hauled on my own TH into a back cast. Sure the flex put into the rod was considerable so much so lose control and rod blank can be in jeopardy.  In a real breaking surf we are not going to be ever water hauling. These are WF lines designed for over head casting.

If I can’t get 50 guys to sign up and then pay up front when and if that number is reached then it will be toast. I can’t afford to lay out $2500. Been there and done that  already with blanks.

mike

Posted (edited)

Very interested. I've been using reversed Skagit lines with a 90-100gr tip before the leader. 

Edited by baldwin

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yarddog.

No lines as far as I know ever built with water haul especially in mind. Any line can be cast that way. I have water hauled on my own TH into a back cast. Sure the flex put into the rod was considerable so much so lose control and rod blank can be in jeopardy.  In a real breaking surf we are not going to be ever water hauling. These are WF lines designed for over head casting.

If I can’t get 50 guys to sign up and then pay up front when and if that number is reached then it will be toast. I can’t afford to lay out $2500. Been there and done that  already with blanks.

mike

Mike 

I really hope you succeed in your endeavor. It would be a nice journey. 
$80 is not a lot of money. 
Getting 50 guys might be. 
Oh please make the total length of the line at least 150 feet

Thanks 

Tom

Tom

If it happens we might get 120.

Steve if most of the guys fished your beloved floater I would have gone for that first. 

Mike

Hi Mike,

Hope you are well.   Can't talk much due to the aphasia issues but can get out a email here and there if I can wait long enought to come up with the right word.   

Sent you a PM regarding what I found a couple of years back from  who willing to discuss talking about custom lines.   

HT

14 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Yarddog.

mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response. I once attempted a water load in the surf, it was a mess.

Paul