gregory m

Bass fishing tips

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey, so i will be kayaking out on a public lake that is pretty much private, no one really fishes there, but i discovered it about 3 years ago. I caught my pb there on chicken that i still havent beat to this day, so i will be going back there soon. I am new to bass fishing, and that was the first lake i ever fished for bass. Any tips on how to catch the fish? In my area i have been having luck on senko worms from wacky rigging to texas rigging, but i also wanted to try live bait. I was thinking of using worms to catch bluegill then live lining them to catch bass. Any tips on how to do that? Whats the best way to fish around weeds/lilly pads? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

My fishing bud tried to live line a small crappie the other day and all he managed to do was kill the crappie. I admit it kind of pi$$Ed me off but I'm not the ethics police

Unless there are big cats in that lake you probably aren't going to do much with that bluegill but best of luck.

Near a family members house there was a pond where we would catch small bluegills on the shoreline to live line in deeper water for bass. We did it a few times and it worked every time. 

2 hours ago, hookmeup said:

Near a family members house there was a pond where we would catch small bluegills on the shoreline to live line in deeper water for bass. We did it a few times and it worked every time. 

How do you set up the rig?? Just tie a hook to a leader line and cast?? 

A  Senko, when I'm not fly fishing for them, has worked well for me, either wacky rigged or Texas rigged.  For live bait, unless you want to use minnows, I agree with triumph.  You're going to need small sunfish, in that 2-3 inch range.  Generally, when I live line bait I hook them through the lips and toss them out weightless.  Some people hook them through the back, but if you're not careful you can sever the spine and end up with a dead bait fish.   You can also fish them under a slip bobber, with a small split shot and let them swim around that way.  How to catch them(sunfish), small piece of worm on a size 10 or 12 bait holder hook, under a small slip bobber.

If you want to catch the biggest bass in the lake consistently, fish some topwater at night, something like a Jitterbug. Darker the night the better...

My question would be, why would you want to fish live bait? Seems you've  done pretty well using plastics, so now it's time to experiment with other lures. Jig, swimbaits. etc.

I don't know what state you live in but here in the northeast using small bluegills would produce one small pickerel after another. And this being topwater season, nothing beats the blowup of a hungry post spawn bass. You don't even have to hook 'em! The blow up is the exciting part.   And as one poster said, try fishing at night with a noisy topwater bait. That's when the biggest fish come out to feed.

Summer is coming, so are weeds. Time for a punch jig. Then comes cooler weather and then you can switch to wake baits.. Neko rigs have produced the biggest fish for me. ( except my pb which was caught on one of my homemade plastic baits ). So many other ways to catch a bass before you need to use live bait.

Besides, the more you learn the more stuff you can buy and accumulate That's where the real fun begins.!

2 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

My question would be, why would you want to fish live bait? Seems you've  done pretty well using plastics, so now it's time to experiment with other lures. Jig, swimbaits. etc.

I don't know what state you live in but here in the northeast using small bluegills would produce one small pickerel after another. And this being topwater season, nothing beats the blowup of a hungry post spawn bass. You don't even have to hook 'em! The blow up is the exciting part.   And as one poster said, try fishing at night with a noisy topwater bait. That's when the biggest fish come out to feed.

Summer is coming, so are weeds. Time for a punch jig. Then comes cooler weather and then you can switch to wake baits.. Neko rigs have produced the biggest fish for me. ( except my pb which was caught on one of my homemade plastic baits ). So many other ways to catch a bass before you need to use live bait.

Besides, the more you learn the more stuff you can buy and accumulate That's where the real fun begins.!

Well,, i just know that for fish nothing beats the real thing, as all of those baits are essentially just mimicking the bait fish they naturally eat. I havent had much luck fishing, but the limited success i have had as come from the senko worm, usually texas rigged. Thanks for the tips, i will look into more experimenting

On 6/12/2022 at 6:16 PM, gregory m said:

Weighted?

Sorry. Missed this.  

I like them unweighted.  

Try it with a big ole nightcrawler too.  

I would have weights and pegs on stand by  for the senkos if it's windy. Or some shaky heads for dragging the bottom. I would have a frog for cruising the edges of the pads. I would have a keitech or finesse spinner for a search bait.

I remember using shiners, sometimes we would use a big float and let the wind move them around the lake.