Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 13 - June 19

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

With the scup starting to come around, does anyone use them for bait for stripers?

Clearly with the pogies around, that’s the best option but does anyone or has anyone used scup for stripers?

Thinking of bait options when the pogies either get scooped by commercial boats or the water gets too warm.

They gotta be legal size to retained and then reused for bait  

So it's own challenge to catch legal porgy, then it's a pretty big bait - so you're targeting big, probably over slot bass 

We've done it successfully off the kayak, strictly C&R 

Can clip the dorsal spines to help bass get the bait in their mouth 

In line circle hooks required by law

Posted (edited)

Moon sucked last night with no clouds, like daylight.  Found some pogies near shore for a brief period which enticed a few fish to come close even w full moon.  Managed a few schoolies, a mid slot, and dropped an overslot (would have easily been my best shore fish of year).  Once tide got moving the weeds became a real PIA, as is the general story this year.  Bite faded quick, guessing if we had some clouds or different moon phase may have been an even better outing.  Usually would have tried another spot or 2 on way home but quit to catch end of Celtics game, should have stayed and fished......................:waiting:

Edited by Kooky

The only fishing rule I break is occasionally live lining short porgy. It’s wrong, I know….

3 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

The only fishing rule I break is occasionally live lining short porgy. It’s wrong, I know….

Fish i kept recently had 2 6-8" scup in its stomach, and this is not uncommon.  That size range is really the sweat spot for scup size for bait

Three man, full day trip to Block Island Tuesday morning.

Nothing at North Rip. We would see an occasional boil here and there, no density of bait or fish.

Moved to the southern west end, two break-offs of small harbor bluefish.

Left the island, headed to Pt. Jude area, 11 stripers, three close to slot, two tautog, one scup on flies.

20220614_091848.jpg

20220614_091812.jpg

Fished sandbar in upper bay again last night.
First two hours of the outgoing tide.

No love.

It smelled fishy though.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:49 AM, Kooky said:

Moon sucked last night with no clouds, like daylight.  Found some pogies near shore for a brief period which enticed a few fish to come close even w full moon.  Managed a few schoolies, a mid slot, and dropped an overslot (would have easily been my best shore fish of year).  Once tide got moving the weeds became a real PIA, as is the general story this year.  Bite faded quick, guessing if we had some clouds or different moon phase may have been an even better outing.  Usually would have tried another spot or 2 on way home but quit to catch end of Celtics game, should have stayed and fished......................:waiting:

Hear ya on the weeds. Fished a couple outflows on Monday night and there were Mattes of weeds continuously fouling me up. Got frustrated and called it an early night. Did catch two small schoolies so it wasn’t a total waste. 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:15 PM, pogie_boy said:

Fished sandbar in upper bay again last night.
First two hours of the outgoing tide.

No love.

It smelled fishy though.

I got no love that same time either, probably three miles from you if I had to throw out a guess. Water literally smelled like menhaden, absolutely. Nothing like that plus the strawberry moon rising to make you feel like you should give up fishing for not getting any lol :)

53 mins ago, Hill said:

I got no love that same time either, probably three miles from you if I had to throw out a guess. Water literally smelled like menhaden, absolutely. Nothing like that plus the strawberry moon rising to make you feel like you should give up fishing for not getting any lol :)

Usually when I can smell the fish I’m catching.   

damn moon burned my retinas. I’m sure the fish didn’t care for it one bit

Pretty dang slow Thursday night to Saturday afternoon. 

Lots of weeds. No bait. Sparse, small fish.

Best was this blue my son got. We didn't even take pictures of the other stuff we caught. 

We didn't do much night fishing but cloudy weather and good whitewater should have made halfway decent daytime striper fishing. We got two.

IMG_20220619_115350_199.jpg