burkie

Jumper on the Sagamore bridge

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Why do people think they have a right to know the specifics?  Obviously the person has issues, does it help to put them out there for God and country to know every little detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Jeff270 said:

Why do people think they have a right to know the specifics?  Obviously the person has issues, does it help to put them out there for God and country to know every little detail.

 

About the shooter?  Because we the citizens pay the public servants salaries, ostensibly to promote and maintain safety in the community.  Knowing specifics about the crime would involve the community in policing itself, and therefore promote increased safety.  

 

Re the jumper?  If they did it in their home or garage via pills or gun I'd be inclined to agree with you 100%.  But they did it in public.  So it's public info.  Spill the tea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, 55555s said:

 

About the shooter?  Because we the citizens pay the public servants salaries, ostensibly to promote and maintain safety in the community.  Knowing specifics about the crime would involve the community in policing itself, and therefore promote increased safety.  

 

Re the jumper?  If they did it in their home or garage via pills or gun I'd be inclined to agree with you 100%.  But they did it in public.  So it's public info.  Spill the tea.  

So lets take someone who is already at there wits end, and publicize their desperate act.   May be we can help to **** them up even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

So lets take someone who is already at there wits end, and publicize their desperate act.   May be we can help to **** them up even more.

agreed. if you really want to help, try getting this state to start prioritizing mental health when it comes to funding. this state woefully underfunds the one issue that touches almost everyone who lives in this state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capequahog said:

There was one guy some years ago who scaled the bars and did the jump and was successful 


If I recall correctly, the top of that fence curls and points inward. Someone climbing the bars vertically would have a tough job as it is, but then swinging themselves horizontally to grab the top of the bars and hoist themselves over it seems to me would be near impossible. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 mins ago, bradW said:

agreed. if you really want to help, try getting this state to start prioritizing mental health when it comes to funding. this state woefully underfunds the one issue that touches almost everyone who lives in this state.

As a mentally ill person I'll tell you first hand this state prioritizes mental health. If I went through what I went through in Alabama I'd be in prison for sure. Instead I was forced to get treatment and now have a high end job and a house and family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

As a mentally ill person I'll tell you first hand this state prioritizes mental health. If I went through what I went through in Alabama I'd be in prison for sure. Instead I was forced to get treatment and now have a high end job and a house and family. 

ok i won't argue. but i have family who has been through the system and i work in EMS and see the revolving door that many people can't get out of. I'm glad you were able to get help, that gives me hope. I just wish people didn't have to sit in the ERs for days and sometimes WEEKS waiting for a bed at a facility. More can and should be done to fund for more facilities, staff and training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe G said:


Sure, but I will not call in chits for minor stuff like this, Burkie.  
 

 

:point:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, bradW said:

…….I just wish people didn't have to sit in the ERs for days and sometimes WEEKS waiting for a bed at a facility. More can and should be done to fund for more facilities, staff and training. 


…….and to that point.  
 

Per this mornings Boston Globe, “on one Monday in March, there were 503 adults and 247 children awaiting beds in psychiatric facilities across Massachusetts”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

As a mentally ill person I'll tell you first hand this state prioritizes mental health. If I went through what I went through in Alabama I'd be in prison for sure. Instead I was forced to get treatment and now have a high end job and a house and family. 

:th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe G said:


If I recall correctly, the top of that fence curls and points inward. Someone climbing the bars vertically would have a tough job as it is, but then swinging themselves horizontally to grab the top of the bars and hoist themselves over it seems to me would be near impossible. 
 

 

This was in the early or mid 90s not sure what the bars were like but he did it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Joe G said:


If I recall correctly, the top of that fence curls and points inward. Someone climbing the bars vertically would have a tough job as it is, but then swinging themselves horizontally to grab the top of the bars and hoist themselves over it seems to me would be near impossible. 
 

 

It’s engineered “therapy” with strategic design to slow or thwart the intent hopefully long enough for the person to decide to abort the effort and rethink their plight , call the Samaritans (# on the sign you just passed) or to enable a passerby time enough to engage a physical restraint….  The act itself , in that public place, is a desperate plea for help…. I wish this for no one…..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.