Manasquan Inlet kayak fishing

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

My point is simply that it is the law to carry a PFD on a kayak … and that it’s typically the hero non-conformists who force the enforcement agencies to crack down on all dicksledders, including the 99.99% of us whom understand the intent of the law and hence comply with a sensible precaution.

I firmly agree with You do You … as long as by doing You, you’re not effing it up for the rest of us.

The law is that one be on board which I clearly stated that I comply with.  I don't wear it though.

Edited by mako capt

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, mako capt said:

The law is that one be on board which I clearly stated that I comply with.  I don't wear it though.

If we took a poll, your practices would probaly be in the 10 percentile range, 5% of folks are by nature are already brain dead and 4% are certified as being mentally challenged, we'll concede the other 1% that just are foolish.

Many folks won't wear a seat belt either and something tells me your in that club too, fine, but don't consider it smart or that its your right, its a law and statistically proven to save lives. Anyone in a kayak in the water should always have a PFD on, many a great swimmer and knowledgeable water guru has gone down under circumstances they never imagined or simply underestimated, not all situations come with a plan. But, the good news, most of them survived because they practiced and believed in safety and specifically PFD's.

Your advice should be heeded by no one. The most disturbing part of your post for me is your SOL screen name, Capt. shouldn't be associated with anyone voicing your opinions, your an insult to the Captains out there. 

Go ahead, run the poll, not that you care what others think or that your experience and knowledge somehow make a difference. They could, be grateful you have them, use a PFD to assist your abilities. Or, do you believe only kryponite can take you down?

I hate sounding like an old man, but I am, and I am. Wish ya' luck mah' friend, all of it good, you might need a lot of it IF the time ever happens that it might help. I never trusted luck, always prepared the best I could to avoid tragedy, now thats good advice, not the phooey you spieIed. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

38 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Many folks won't wear a seat belt either and something tells me your in that club too, fine, but don't consider it smart or that its your right, its a law and statistically proven to save lives. Anyone in a kayak in the water should always have a PFD on, many a great swimmer and knowledgeable water guru has gone down under circumstances they never imagined or simply underestimated, not all situations come with a plan. But, the good news, most of them survived because they practiced and believed in safety and specifically PFD's.

Your advice should be heeded by no one. The most disturbing part of your post for me is your SOL screen name, Capt. shouldn't be associated with anyone voicing your opinions, your an insult to the Captains out there. 

I have a buddy who doesn’t wear his seatbelt. His whole family doesn’t wear seatbelts in fact. I told him that one day you’re going to wish you had your seatbelt on. He doesn’t care. My grandfather was in a nasty crash back in the 70’s. Something on the road if I remember correctly. If he hadn’t of had his seatbelt on, he would have flew out the windshield and crashed into a tree and died. He is alive because he had it on. 

I mainly fish a lake that gets a lot of traffic in the summer. It’s flat as can be without the boats. But with the large amount of pleasure boaters comes the guys who drink and drive on the water. I’ve seen them. My kayak maxes out at 2 1/2-3 mph, so I’m not very fast. I wear my life jacket no matter where I am or how calm the water is. Because If a drunk boater going 70 doesn’t see me and I can’t get out of the way in time, and I get knocked out, I’d rather not sink down 100 feet to the bottom and die. Not likely to happen, but that’s why you wear the life jacket. For emergencies. Anything can happen out on the water. Doesn’t matter if your on a lake, river, ocean, wherever. It’s always better to be prepared by wearing it at all times. Because disaster can strike anywhere, anytime.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

3 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I have a buddy who doesn’t wear his seatbelt. His whole family doesn’t wear seatbelts in fact. I told him that one day you’re going to wish you had your seatbelt on. He doesn’t care. My grandfather was in a nasty crash back in the 70’s. Something on the road if I remember correctly. If he hadn’t of had his seatbelt on, he would have flew out the windshield and crashed into a tree and died. He is alive because he had it on. 

4 of my brothers buddies in HS driving home car crashed, flipped.  3 ejected with no belts lived.  driver with belt on burned inside.

3 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

Not likely to happen, but that’s why you wear the life jacket. For emergencies. Anything can happen out on the water. 

I am on board with this 100%.  Mako Capt has made it clear he gets its and has assumed the risk.  

Everyone has a risk tolerance for various things.  

is what it is.  

On 6/12/2022 at 9:50 AM, mako capt said:

Perhaps because someone has spent a lifetime swimming and surfing and knows the water and their limits.  I do carry one on board for the highly unlikely chance I might need it.

Laws aside, that's what gets people into trouble.

Plus, wetsuits are buoyant. 

9 hours ago, 55555s said:

4 of my brothers buddies in HS driving home car crashed, flipped.  3 ejected with no belts lived.  driver with belt on burned inside.

If I told you that today you'd be involved in a serious car accident and there would be 4 people in your vehicle including you and 3 would not  have seat belts on and one would, would you be the one wearing the belt? I hope so. 

There are always exceptions, however, its been proven statistically over the last 50 years, seat belts prevent fatal and serious injuries. 

RIP JM

On 6/12/2022 at 10:48 AM, mako capt said:

Your point?  As you're familiar with Manasquan Inlet, check out the beaches on either side of the inlet the day after a blizzard when its brutal cold and barrelling waves with 10 foot+ faces.  You'll likely see a group of guys out there in wetsuits on surfboards......none of them wearing pfds.  That's my life's passion, chasing waves like that.  I think I'll be just fine dinking around in a kayak.  You do you.

many of the you do you folks put others lives at risk when they run into trouble-not wearing a pfd on a kayak is frankly stupid and  you can be the best swimmer in the world and get knocked out and you will sink like a stone- 

LLBean and some other reputable retailers used to have a great return policy to their customers...

sadly, many abused the policy and it no longer exist.

it takes a select few to affect the many... 

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

On 6/22/2022 at 4:24 PM, Highlander1 said:

If we took a poll, your practices would probaly be in the 10 percentile range, 5% of folks are by nature are already brain dead and 4% are certified as being mentally challenged, we'll concede the other 1% that just are foolish.

Go ahead, run the poll, not that you care what others think or that your experience and knowledge somehow make a difference. They could, be grateful you have them, use a PFD to assist your abilities. Or, do you believe only kryponite can take you down?

I hate sounding like an old man, but I am, and I am. Wish ya' luck mah' friend, all of it good, you might need a lot of it IF the time ever happens that it might help. I never trusted luck, always prepared the best I could to avoid tragedy, now thats good advice, not the phooey you spieIed. 

I find your entire post kind of bizarre.  Were you drinking when you wrote that?   I just relayed what I do and said "You Do You".  I never said or implied "Do as I do".

The only advice I did give was the following which I stand by:  If you can't get in and out of your overturned kayak you shouldn't be out there with or without a pfd.    Perhaps this is what set you off.  You unfit to be in a kayak based on that standard?

Edited by mako capt

6 hours ago, mako capt said:

I find your entire post kind of bizarre.  Were you drinking when you wrote that?   I just relayed what I do and said "You Do You".  I never said or implied "Do as I do".

The only advice I did give was the following which I stand by:  If you can't get in and out of your overturned kayak you shouldn't be out there with or without a pfd.    Perhaps this is what set you off.  You unfit to be in a kayak based on that standard?

I'm not a drinker by habit nor I was impaired when I read your post. Your approach to potentially life threatening situations shows your immature, stupid and not accepting the facts that IF you ever were in a situation that your life was in danger, that the decision to not wear a PFD was foolish and perhaps the cause of your final demise. Sad.

Take your advice about being able to get in or out of an overturned kayak that it means your safe from disaster, more nonsense. True, you should be able to perfrom those tasks but that doesn't mean your exempt from disaster or accident.

So, now I am another day older and hopefully wiser, and your a day older and just as careless and non-chalant as you were yesterday.

Tell ya' what, show or send this post to any close friends, relatives or particulary parents and see if they offer any support to your thoughts. Try and pick out a few with some common sense not the sense you try and convey. Parents particulary, the last thing any parent wants is to bury one of their children, disease and tragedy sometime cannot be avoided, but if you drowned in a kayak and had no PFD on, they would be torn by that rvry day and eevery hour for as long as they live. Does that make you think even a little or am I dealing with a nitwit?

I really don't need to waste my time trying to convince you about a subject or thought process taht you obviously have not judged correctly, but if it helps someone else that reads it and agrees with my ideas, than it is worth my time and efforts. 

I love this website and try and offer to give the best advice I can on whatever subject may be at hand, teaching and learning are part of this for all of us. I realize I come across as a big mouth that is full of my own bs and I roar into your kingdom and upset the applecart, sometimes it happens, I'm not upset, hopefully you aren't either. 

And the internet is a tough place to judge someone, we might genuinely enjoy each others company over a few beers and joints regardless of our beliefs.

One last thing, can you divulge if your under 35 or a registered DEM or both, its always reassuring to know there are reasons for being a moron. And this is not meant for all DEM's or folks under 35, I have 3 kids under 35, 2 of them DEMs, I love them more than myself. 

Edited by Highlander1
RIP JM

55 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I'm not a drinker by habit nor I was impaired when I read your post. Your approach to potentially life threatening situations shows your immature, stupid and not accepting the facts that IF you ever were in a situation that your life was in danger, that the decision to not wear a PFD was foolish and perhaps the cause of your final demise. Sad.

Take your advice about being able to get in or out of an overturned kayak that it means your safe from disaster, more nonsense. True, you should be able to perfrom those tasks but that doesn't mean your exempt from disaster or accident.

So, now I am another day older and hopefully wiser, and your a day older and just as careless and non-chalant as you were yesterday.

Tell ya' what, show or send this post to any close friends, relatives or particulary parents and see if they offer any support to your thoughts. Try and pick out a few with some common sense not the sense you try and convey. Parents particulary, the last thing any parent wants is to bury one of their children, disease and tragedy sometime cannot be avoided, but if you drowned in a kayak and had no PFD on, they would be torn by that rvry day and eevery hour for as long as they live. Does that make you think even a little or am I dealing with a nitwit?

I really don't need to waste my time trying to convince you about a subject or thought process taht you obviously have not judged correctly, but if it helps someone else that reads it and agrees with my ideas, than it is worth my time and efforts. 

I love this website and try and offer to give the best advice I can on whatever subject may be at hand, teaching and learning are part of this for all of us. I realize I come across as a big mouth that is full of my own bs and I roar into your kingdom and upset the applecart, sometimes it happens, I'm not upset, hopefully you aren't either. 

And the internet is a tough place to judge someone, we might genuinely enjoy each others company over a few beers and joints regardless of our beliefs.

One last thing, can you divulge if your under 35 or a registered DEM or both, its always reassuring to know there are reasons for being a moron. And this is not meant for all DEM's or folks under 35, I have 3 kids under 35, 2 of them DEMs, I love them more than myself. 

I don't think I love you yet and I'm not tossing bouquets your way, 

If you have parents, relatives or friends with at least a  or good frimnds that 

Early 50s, three kids.  Two in their 20s and one to be a senior in high school.  All very adept in the water and all quite conservative.  Paddling a kayak is very tame compared to my antics in the surf for the past 40+ years.  If I drown one day it won't be kayaking and if I one day drown while surfing I'm fine with that.  Its accepted risk and something I train and stay in shape to avoid.  Again, you do you.  If you're not fit enough to swim a distance in whatever conditions you venture into in your kayak and if you aren't fit enough to get back in your kayak if you get dumped you flat out shouldn't be out there with or without a PFD.  Don't let that PFD be a security blanket.  Know your own abilities and limits.

Cheers.  :beatin:

Here is my .02.

Wearing a pfd isn't just about you.  

What about the poor bastard that has to go out, risk his life trying to fish your soggy ass out of the drink.  Trying his best to perform CPR while whats left of you pukes in his face.

What about the cop who has to knock on your parents door and tell them their kid has assumed room temp and ask them to come the hospital and identify your remains?

What about your family that gets to visit you every day in a long term care facility as they prop you up like a potted plant, unable to do speak because you were under water a bit too long?

What about the person who is waiting for an ambulance that is somewhere else waiting to see if they can by chance, find you alive off the beach?

Don't be a selfish dick, its not all about you!

Edited by Jeff270

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?