chewy2000913

Manasquan Inlet kayak fishing

51 posts in this topic

Ive seen this happen wayy too often. But today had my blood boiling watching two idiot kayakers kayak fishing right in the middle of manasquan inlet with boats flying by and NOT wearing pfd!! Ive kayak fished for a long time and also fish on my boat. Ive never not worn a pfd while kayak fishing because too many things can go wrong if a wake comes. If those two guys are here in this forum

wear your damn pfd’s!!!

people like you are ultimately going to cause restrictions on kayak fishing in the future because lawmakers will come up with anything to reduce issues.

35 mins ago, chewy2000913 said:

Ive seen this happen wayy too often. But today had my blood boiling watching two idiot kayakers kayak fishing right in the middle of manasquan inlet with boats flying by and NOT wearing pfd!! Ive kayak fished for a long time and also fish on my boat. Ive never not worn a pfd while kayak fishing because too many things can go wrong if a wake comes. If those two guys are here in this forum

wear your damn pfd’s!!!

people like you are ultimately going to cause restrictions on kayak fishing in the future because lawmakers will come up with anything to reduce issues.

Being stupid can hurt

I’ve seen a lot of stupid things in Manasquan Inlet.  Besides kayakers, stand up paddle boarders, guys running so close to the walls they snag fishing lines, just blasting thru as fast as they can………..  There’s no end to it!  It’s not limited to dumb things on the water either.  Guys fishing snagging other people in the face, people walking and kids running around behind guys casting with no regard for their own safety, keeping under sized fish or keeping fish out of season.  It’s a wonder there’s not more injuries.

I've never worn a pfd in my kayak.  Likely never will.  I'd also never venture into Manasquan inlet to fish.  A high speed ride out the inlet with the tide might be fun though.  Fishing in that channel though, no thanks.

1 min ago, mako capt said:

What don't you get?

Its simple. Abnd perhaps the answer is as simple.  

I just dont understand why anyone would go out in a kayak and not wear a pfd.  

Just now, 55555s said:

Its simple. Abnd perhaps the answer is as simple.  

Perhaps because someone has spent a lifetime swimming and surfing and knows the water and their limits.  I do carry one on board for the highly unlikely chance I might need it.

1 min ago, mako capt said:

I do carry one on board

^ ok

Safety gear is for accidents, and accidents are largely not about you the user but others who become your unforeseen events.

To each his own.  

36 mins ago, 55555s said:

Me neither.  I’m an experienced swimmer who once had a life saving certificate to teach swimming classes at a high school but even I wouldn’t go out on a kayak without a pdf.  

46 mins ago, mako capt said:

Perhaps because someone has spent a lifetime swimming and surfing and knows the water and their limits.  I do carry one on board for the highly unlikely chance I might need it.

Rules, Regulations and Laws are typically introduced to help those who can’t help themselves …

A95FA1B7-4799-418D-B025-38B555A9B69E.png.17ecc4f1d716c5411c1bdfd6e6c7fa55.png

2 mins ago, Africaster said:

Rules, Regulations and Laws are typically introduced to help those who can’t help themselves …

A95FA1B7-4799-418D-B025-38B555A9B69E.png.17ecc4f1d716c5411c1bdfd6e6c7fa55.png

Your point?  As you're familiar with Manasquan Inlet, check out the beaches on either side of the inlet the day after a blizzard when its brutal cold and barrelling waves with 10 foot+ faces.  You'll likely see a group of guys out there in wetsuits on surfboards......none of them wearing pfds.  That's my life's passion, chasing waves like that.  I think I'll be just fine dinking around in a kayak.  You do you.

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

Your point?  As you're familiar with Manasquan Inlet, check out the beaches on either side of the inlet the day after a blizzard when its brutal cold and barrelling waves with 10 foot+ faces.  You'll likely see a group of guys out there in wetsuits on surfboards......none of them wearing pfds.  That's my life's passion, chasing waves like that.  I think I'll be just fine dinking around in a kayak.  You do you.

My point is simply that it is the law to carry a PFD on a kayak … and that it’s typically the hero non-conformists who force the enforcement agencies to crack down on all dicksledders, including the 99.99% of us whom understand the intent of the law and hence comply with a sensible precaution.

I firmly agree with You do You … as long as by doing You, you’re not effing it up for the rest of us.