55555s

You ever say "no more" to tackle?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

55 mins ago, toadfish said:

Every winter I think that I will have time to organize and get rid of half the stuff I have. I never do it.

Agree, when I try to organize and categorizing  I get caught up in cross over and just in case tackle. There is justification for this as you never know what the day will but still sometimes you think to yourself "I wish I had brought ____".

20 hours ago, 55555s said:

I'm not a total loon like a lot (most?) of you guys, but like all of us I've accumulated a lot of gear, lures, and terminal tackle over the years.

We recently moved and I am going through boxes, containers, bags, consolidating and just figuring out what I have.    I had everything laid out in front of me, thinking damn.  Thats a lot of stuff.  And then a couple days later we came across one of those big tote crates in the garage... an entire crate filled with...  

Holy crap.    

I am seriously thinking of not purchasing ANYTHING until I use up some of the stock of what I have.

Or is this a weak moment and it'll pass?

( Also bumping some "organizing your gear" threads.  )

That's the problem 

Never lay it all out at the same time:rav:

9 mins ago, ReelSharp said:

No, more please. 

E6BF3B08-5CED-40EF-83F0-7EF2C69CF411.jpeg

#27 on the third rack belongs on rack 5 in the #6 spot.

That said WOW/OMG :howdy:.

17 hours ago, surfcaster1 said:

Here’s the deal-

i have been surf fishing for the last 42 years. When I look at all the fishing gear, tackle,  lures I have accumulated- At this point I realize that I have more fishing crap than I will ever use in my lifetime. When I walk into a bait shop I still feel “the want” but, not “the need”. If I pick up a new lure it would probably be a triplicate of something I already have. “Too much is never enough” but, at some point you just have to say: no. I  have arrived at that point. 

when I drop dead my wife is going to make a score on the garage sale she holds to get rid of my fishing stuff. She had no idea how much stuff costs. If she sells a Van Staal for $25 bucks you know I will be spinning.

So, yes, you can reach a point where you just say no. You just have to reach that age first.

Yeah this is my fear now.  Thinking about making a list with values of items.  Just too much stuff, freshwater, fly, surf, boat.

21 hours ago, Slacker said:

I haven't bought a rod or a reel since 2018.  If something breaks, I will replace it.  Other than that, I'm done.  I threw out a 5 gallon bucketful of out-of-favor soft plastics a couple days ago... tossed about 50 plugs last year... only stuff that gets used gets kept, anymore.

:agree:

On 6/11/2022 at 10:43 AM, 55555s said:

I'm not a total loon like a lot (most?) of you guys, but like all of us I've accumulated a lot of gear, lures, and terminal tackle over the years.

We recently moved and I am going through boxes, containers, bags, consolidating and just figuring out what I have.    I had everything laid out in front of me, thinking damn.  Thats a lot of stuff.  And then a couple days later we came across one of those big tote crates in the garage... an entire crate filled with...  

Holy crap.    

I am seriously thinking of not purchasing ANYTHING until I use up some of the stock of what I have.

Or is this a weak moment and it'll pass?

( Also bumping some "organizing your gear" threads.  )

I've said that many times over the years. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it stick yet.

Now, it looks like I'm moving from the Mid-Atlantic to SoCal. A whole new set of tackle is needed & I now longer need most of what I have.

This is going to be a real challenge.

Best regards everyone!

JD