Agustin Mtz

i need your advice on Roosterfish Mexico

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

My brother and I will be taking a trip to Jalisco, Mexico in July, and will be surf fishing mainly for Roosterfish.
Could you help me with your experience in fishing these fish on the coast of Mexico, I know that we should mainly look for long casts, with fast retrieve reels and surface lures.

Could you recommend me which are the best lures for roosterfish fishing.

and finally we will be fishing between Tenacatita and Barra de Navidad like 3.5 hours south of Puerto Vallarta, also if you know of any other place in the area that could

For Rooster on the surf, I'd use a 9-12 feet casting rod rated 2-6 ounces, 10'000 Shimano reel size, loaded with 30-50 lbs test braided line, leader fluoro-mono 50-80 lbs.

Lure would be GT ice cream - Yo-Zuri surface cruiser types and long casting tins in the 60-90 Gr range.

All factory split rings & hooks to be upgraded preferably with reinforced singles of appropriate size.

Welcome to the site, good luck with your trip and keep us posted.

On 10/6/2022 at 4:48 AM, carangua said:

For Rooster on the surf, I'd use a 9-12 feet casting rod rated 2-6 ounces, 10'000 Shimano reel size, loaded with 30-50 lbs test braided line, leader fluoro-mono 50-80 lbs.

Lure would be GT ice cream - Yo-Zuri surface cruiser types and long casting tins in the 60-90 Gr range.

All factory split rings & hooks to be upgraded preferably with reinforced singles of appropriate size.

Welcome to the site, good luck with your trip and keep us posted.

Thanks a lot Carangua, you really answered many questions that i had!!

this will be probably a dumb question, but which will be a good size of hook for lures of 2-3 oz like the Yo-Zuri surface cruiser 7/0 - 8/0? and also, could you recommend me good colors in your experience? i know that white-red are good a one

i will be using a 12´6" ft rod and a 14k Shimano reel, probably a 50lbs braid line

The beaches I fished did not have any rocks so I would prob. go down to 40 pd test (or even 30) as I used 50#.  All white in the GT ice creams and needles worked fine. 

7 hours ago, Agustin Mtz said:

Thanks a lot Carangua, you really answered many questions that i had!!

this will be probably a dumb question, but which will be a good size of hook for lures of 2-3 oz like the Yo-Zuri surface cruiser 7/0 - 8/0? and also, could you recommend me good colors in your experience? i know that white-red are good a one

i will be using a 12´6" ft rod and a 14k Shimano reel, probably a 50lbs braid line

You are welcome Agustin.

12.6" rod and STL 14K is very good, A casting machine, make sure you protect your casting finger with medical tape or casting glove as shimano produces good ones,

Regarding the braid, more about 50lbs or 30, it is the quality and how actually thin it is the better, the Japanese made such as Varivas or other are reliable, you also have Berkley or Power Pro that are good, this is the one item you don't want to go cheap with.

Make sure that while spooling the reel, that the braid is quite tight, it is also best to have a spare loaded spool just in case.

Concerning the color, white- white/red- yellow- dark red- mackerel is all good. Your intuition depending on how the sun is at the moment, reddish at sunset/sunrise, shining yellow morning /afternoon, the color of water will suggest one choice or another.

The size of the hook is in proportion to the lure, I can't give a specific size since different manufacturers are not equivalent for the same size, Gamakatsu or VMC are expensive but reliable, attached is a picture of the bigger size Yo-Zuri surface cruiser to give an idea about adapted size of single hook to lure.

Also, I would initially set the drag at 12lbs scale test, and only increase gradually in case of an endless rush. 

Tight lines :th:

IMG_2795.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ah, gentlemen, how do you join your fluorocarbon leader to your braid for this kind of fishing?

Edited by BrianBM
Spelling

Tried to send a PM with some info that can't be posted here per forum rules. I got a reply saying you cannot receive messages? 

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Ah, gentlemen, how do you join your fluorocarbon leader to your braid for this kind of fishing?

FG knot, or Alberto knot for short leaders …

Edited by levari

11 hours ago, PaulS said:

The beaches I fished did not have any rocks so I would prob. go down to 40 pd test (or even 30) as I used 50#.  All white in the GT ice creams and needles worked fine. 

You are right, I have not been there in 7 years, but i remember that the beaches over there were very open and clean of rocks, only the point of the bays had them

44 mins ago, levari said:

FG knot, or Alberto knot for short leaders …

So your knots survive repeated high-speed trips through the guides? Or do you keep your leaders short enough to stay outside the tip?

1 min ago, BrianBM said:

So your knots survive repeated high-speed trips through the guides? Or do you keep your leaders short enough to stay outside the tip?

Good question, i had this same one in my head for days haha

8 hours ago, carangua said:

You are welcome Agustin.

12.6" rod and STL 14K is very good, A casting machine, make sure you protect your casting finger with medical tape or casting glove as shimano produces good ones,

Regarding the braid, more about 50lbs or 30, it is the quality and how actually thin it is the better, the Japanese made such as Varivas or other are reliable, you also have Berkley or Power Pro that are good, this is the one item you don't want to go cheap with.

Make sure that while spooling the reel, that the braid is quite tight, it is also best to have a spare loaded spool just in case.

Concerning the color, white- white/red- yellow- dark red- mackerel is all good. Your intuition depending on how the sun is at the moment, reddish at sunset/sunrise, shining yellow morning /afternoon, the color of water will suggest one choice or another.

The size of the hook is in proportion to the lure, I can't give a specific size since different manufacturers are not equivalent for the same size, Gamakatsu or VMC are expensive but reliable, attached is a picture of the bigger size Yo-Zuri surface cruiser to give an idea about adapted size of single hook to lure.

Also, I would initially set the drag at 12lbs scale test, and only increase gradually in case of an endless rush. 

Tight lines :th:

IMG_2795.jpg

Ok got it, thanks a lot, I had never thought about changing the color of lures with the behavior of the sun with water!

1 hour ago, WindAndWater said:

Tried to send a PM with some info that can't be posted here per forum rules. I got a reply saying you cannot receive messages? 

Sorry i thing the reason is because i am pretty new in the forum, i have some time reading it, but i had not made me an account

1 hour ago, WindAndWater said:

If you don't have the minimum number of messages, you don't get PM privileges, or use of the BST Forum.