zcoker

Calling all Stella Owners...Platinum Service

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

1 min ago, zcoker said:

Daiwa's are great reels. I have the newer Saltigas as well as both Expeditions. I have yet to send any of them in for service. I even think the newer Saltigas have something similar to Shimano's once upon a time Platinum service, correct me if wrong. 

The advertising makes it sound great! Wait til you need service, lemme know how that goes... :blackeye:

Just now, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The advertising makes it sound great! Wait til you need service, lemme know how that goes... :blackeye:

I'm almost to the point right now where if the reel gets too bad, I'll just buy another one. Or buy something else altogether. Trying to figure out what to do when needing these high end reels serviced is getting ridiculous. With the Stellas, I acquired some of the tools necessary to do simple things like bearing replacement, which has saved me a lot of time an aggravation. With the Saltigas, that ain't gonna happen unless one can get Daiwa's magnetic grease. 

Posted (edited)

+1 for avoid Daiwa if service is a factor in your decision

I looked for some info on plat service and saw a few people say they got the same service in terms of fixing and finding problems and it’s just the turnaround can’t be guaranteed in the same short time frame. A personal friend sent in a tranx 500 that he tore into multiple times and they serviced everything and only charged him I think a $40 fee. New gears, bearings etc etc. it just took a bit longer than normal. 

Edited by Snook_Slayr

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Hands down, the WORST service department in the business! Most customers have more knowledge of their products than the Daiwa techs and service managers themselves. There would have to be some drastic changes over there for me to ever consider buying another Daiwa again. They make reels that require expert servicing, (mag seal) but have no experts with the ability or parts to actually service them.

They made an effort recently to advertise and mimic Shimano's "platinum service" but that is more of smoke and mirrors than anything else. They don't know their product, back their product, or properly service their product. Think long and hard before you put your eggs in the Daiwa basket. :thdwn:

This completely describes my experience attempting to have them service my reel correctly several times before I ultimately sold it.

Snook_slayer had an even worse time of it. Techs smothering bearings with magseal, bearings failing, and the icing on top stripped drag knobs that "we abused" catching mid-high 30" snook and a single tarpon. 

Tranx 500, not a hitch. Every back to new. Okuma sent me the parts I needed, free of charge, for my makaira when I needed some stuff. Not nickel and dime things like a shim or bearing, either. 

Edited by RedGreen
30s, not 40s

22 mins ago, RedGreen said:

This completely describes my experience attempting to have them service my reel correctly several times before I ultimately sold it.

Snook_slayer had an even worse time of it. Techs smothering bearings with magseal, bearings failing, and the icing on top stripped drag knobs that "we abused" catching mid-high 30" snook and a single tarpon. 

I've heard of bad experiences dealing with Daiwa's service, from futile contacts to unreal prices. That's why I liked Shimano's Platinum service so much...past tense, lol.

Although my Daiwa experience wasn't that bad, it still wasn't that good. My 2020 20K Saltiga's roller bearing housing screw loosened up, or wallowed out. Daiwa only uses one screw to hold that thing together. The older models had a small safety screw. And when that single screw comes loose on the newer reels, game over. Mag seal leaks out and it needs to be resealed. So I sent my reel to Daiwa and they sent it back.....resealed....with the dang screw still loose lol. I had to size an allen wrench to tighten that thing myself. Was a complete and total waste of time and money except for the mag seal grease. 

43 mins ago, zcoker said:

I've heard of bad experiences dealing with Daiwa's service, from futile contacts to unreal prices. That's why I liked Shimano's Platinum service so much...past tense, lol.

Although my Daiwa experience wasn't that bad, it still wasn't that good. My 2020 20K Saltiga's roller bearing housing screw loosened up, or wallowed out. Daiwa only uses one screw to hold that thing together. The older models had a small safety screw. And when that single screw comes loose on the newer reels, game over. Mag seal leaks out and it needs to be resealed. So I sent my reel to Daiwa and they sent it back.....resealed....with the dang screw still loose lol. I had to size an allen wrench to tighten that thing myself. Was a complete and total waste of time and money except for the mag seal grease. 

The saddest thing is if Daiwa would get out of their own way and stand behind their product instead of warranty exclusions, step up quality for less defective materials and abandon magseal for rubber like everyone else in the industry, the 20 saltiga would be the best big game spinner on the planet, head and shoulders above everything. At the very least, they need to abandon magseal. Rubber works. Nobody cares how free spinning your reel is when you're hooked up to a 150lb tarpon or a 200lb BFT.

55 mins ago, zcoker said:

So they fixed the symptom but not the problem, sounds about right. You would have been better off not sending it in and doing it yourself but mag seal prevented that as an option. :thdwn:

As disappointing as losing Platinum service from Shimano is, it is still in the top tier of service depts. right now. Shimano still does care about standing behind their product (as best as they can).

Daiwa service is well happy enough to have you settle for a thousand dollar paper weight and has little to no interest in standing behind even their flagship reels.

A Van Staal should last a lifetime, a faulty Penn will likely be repaired or replaced, a Daiwa Satiga literally may have be tossed on the scrap heap in 3 short years, no joke! 

At least Shimano as a whole, is still committed to making things right. Daiwa's approach of hiring agents who can tell you to F off as nicely as they can, is not for me!

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

So they fixed the symptom but not the problem, sounds about right. You would have been better off not sending it in and doing it yourself but mag seal prevented that as an option. :thdwn:

As disappointing as losing Platinum service from Shimano is, it is still in the top tier of service depts. right now. Shimano still does care about standing behind their product (as best as they can).

Daiwa service is well happy enough to have you settle for a thousand dollar paper weight and has little to no interest in standing behind even their flagship reels.

A Van Staal should last a lifetime, a faulty Penn will likely be repaired or replaced, a Daiwa Satiga literally may have be tossed on the scrap heap in 3 short years, no joke! 

At least Shimano as a whole, is still committed to making things right. Daiwa's approach of hiring agents who can tell you to F off as nicely as they can, is not for me!

I guess the whole point of all of this, we shouldn't be worrying about any of this nonsense with any of these companies. For the tier level of these reels, things should be on an even keel, so to speak. Worrying about if I get my reel back in a year, or worrying about parts that may cost the entire reel, or worrying about the shoe-maker technicians, none of this should be a factor. Yet it is. And I understand that. Hopefully, things will get better. Hopefully lol 

Posted (edited)

@zcoker solution is to get a spheros or gosa. Even if it has issues it's so easy to maintain and parts are dirt cheap and at the end of it, if it breaks in 2-3 years at it's price point who even cares. I only use the spheros swa's now and I am WAY happier with literally no issues with dozens more tarpon on each reel compared to the flagship 'experience' and I don't even care for my reels anymore since they aren't a grand a pop. One was literally at the bottom of a pass for at least half a hour in screaming current and I didn't even give a second thought to it after I got it out, landed a solid land based tarpon on that exact reel the other night and two decent sharks.

Edited by Snook_Slayr

So Stella has a change-up on their platinum service. 

Diawa has unobtainable magic lube.

Penn isn't like the old or real brand that was once a great product. 

Van stall is changing their lineup so the old ones might not have parts available. 

Now what?

1 min ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So Stella has a change-up on their platinum service. 

Diawa has unobtainable magic lube.

Penn isn't like the old or real brand that was once a great product. 

Van stall is changing their lineup so the old ones might not have parts available. 

Now what?

Time to go freshwater bass fishing lol

111C3789-57C7-411D-807C-C15C80E265BE.jpeg.c9b5daf92c420982b450e04045b23c7f.jpeg

The execs at Shimano KNOW exactly what is coming down the pike and are in CYA mode, as are most big corps.

You should be also.

7 mins ago, drumbum said:

The execs at Shimano KNOW exactly what is coming down the pike and are in CYA mode, as are most big corps.

You should be also.

So what are they thinking, what do they know?  Lack of parts, not enough employees to complete a platinum service?