flyangler

Missouri River, MT - July 4-11 - Pre-Trip Discussion & Trip Report

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, flyangler said:

now you are making me wet. 

He is back there today, tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.  He usually gives me a report at the end of the day.

52 mins ago, titleguy said:

He is back there today, tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.  He usually gives me a report at the end of the day.

feel free to post the reports here. also want all the details on the secret pattern that is getting it done.....

52 mins ago, titleguy said:

fwiw, you avatar reminds me that that was one of my late father's favorite movies. 

24 mins ago, flyangler said:

fwiw, you avatar reminds me that that was one of my late father's favorite movies. 

It goes back to the "old days" of the Tavern in 2008/2009.  great movie also.

5 hours ago, titleguy said:

That is my son in the picture.

He should stop rolling his wrist on that cast. :p 

Awesome picture!! :th: 

9 hours ago, titleguy said:

That is my son in the picture.

In the Simms photo? From last year? 

Wednesday update from Headhunters, just hope the PMDs continue fee next two weeks. As I understand it, the larger PMDs come off first and then they get smaller into July, 14-16s and then down to 18s. Afternoon rain impacting spinner falls is not new, and cripples should work then (I have those). Excitement building….i just hope the other MT rivers drop enough to take some of the pressure off this water. 

Wednesday Updated Fishing Report Montana’s Missouri River

Flows falling to 5K cfs today, and soon flows at 4100cfs.

The rain didi not change things much here. LPP is flowing clean and low. The Dearborn is the dame with flows at the 230cfs mark. Clean, clear.

PMD’s steal the show. Good hatches most days. The rain knocked down the live bugs in the rain two night so the best action of the past two days was the emergence. Today, with bugs living past the emergence, we should see a decent spinner fall. Cripples, spinners, mergers. HH has an unreal PMD dry fly and nymph selection.

Caddis soon. Some around, some caught on some CDC low riding patterns.

Ants are in. In style with the fish.

The nymphers are crushing. Sows and PMD nymphs.

Overwhelmed with the out of area displaced anglers. Shuttles if not in early will be off later. Understand the pressure and smile. Boat ramps jammed. The river is very busy. We are doing our best to keep up, and reserve the right to cut off shuttle services if needed. No need for us to promise something we cannot deliver.

10 hours ago, Gilbey said:

He should stop rolling his wrist on that cast. :p 

Awesome picture!! :th: 

Got it from me-  short range dry fly cast.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I do the same!! :D 

PMD spinner falls are among my most favorite fishing experiences anywhere. Fish sipping spinners in quiet eddies. The rises are dimples, but the fish can be among the biggest in the river! 

Edited by Gilbey

I'll have a report from him tonight to post.  He's on the MO today, Madison tomorrow and back on the Mo from Saturday to next Wednesday.

For anyone interested in the magnitude of the Yellowstone flooding. The waters have mostly receded, but the damage remains for many, some losing most of their home, etc. I gave some money to the effort mentioned at the end. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, titleguy said:

I'll have a report from him tonight to post.  He's on the MO today, Madison tomorrow and back on the Mo from Saturday to next Wednesday.

Tougher day yesterday- sparse hatch and not a lot eaters.  His clients boated 10, hooked about 30- mostly nymphing.  Today is the last day for the flies for food auction- skwala has a pair of carbon waders and rain coat.  He is floating the upper Madison today and then back to the Mo for about a week.

The trestle and highway pictured above is the take out at 89, correct?  Friggen terrifying in normal conditions.

Edited by titleguy

9 mins ago, titleguy said:

Tougher day yesterday- sparse hatch and not a lot eaters.  His clients boated 10, hooked about 30- mostly nymphing.  

It happens. I don't mind nymphing, actually enjoy it, just not as much as on top to dries. 

Curious, why 30 hookups and only 10 to the net? That seems quite low ratio? 

9 mins ago, titleguy said:

The trestle and highway pictured above is the take out at 89, correct?  Friggen terrifying in normal conditions.

I don't know the area.