flyangler

Missouri River, MT - July 4-11 - Pre-Trip Discussion & Trip Report

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Damn, that's nuts. Looks like Holter Dam is around 5,500, I don't really know what typical or ideal flows are on the Mo but hope conditions hold up for you. Is this runoff, a ton of rain, or both? My Missoula folks said it's been like Scotland around there, cold and wet, so runoff hasn't even peaked yet. They actually got snow at elevation over the weekend.

From what I’ve read, anything below 10,000 is fishable by boat and below 6,000 is when wading comes into its own. Flows are controlled by the guys up in the towers at the dam and those flows depend on what’s behind the dam. If I am not wrong, Wolf Creek is the only major train feeding into the river below the dam. Thus, rain and melt won’t effect that run too much. 

068453E5-66F1-4247-BBD8-C88D81A83256.jpeg.ee75b639631f79d19970043db41145bb.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

What this could mean, if those other MT rivers remain unfishable at July 4th+ is more anglers and boats on the Missouri. 

Edited by flyangler

Tom I hope you have a fantastic time, get the trout of your dreams and the picture you’ve been hunting. Going solo is impressive.

Edited by Reed422

28 mins ago, titleguy said:

That house belongs to the owner of Sweetwater Fly Shop in Livingston.

It is bad out there. George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler posted photos on IG from their shop. Water in their basement and at the front door but better than many because the building is still there. 

The images are heart wrenching, whether it is flooded homes or homes swept away. I saw a photo from one town where the water has receded and there is 2-3 of mud and rubble on the main street. This is Red Lodge and one of my work colleagues has a ranch out there. 

SNAPPED: Flooding reaks havoc on Red Lodge MT.

Red Lodge Montana clean up after Yellowstone flooding | | wdrb.com

I went to college with the current Montana governor and he's declared a state of emergency. I don't stay in touch with Greg, though I stayed at his house for a few days back in 2001. Not sure if he is in the same house, but he had the East Branch of the Gallatin literally running through his backyard and that river is in super flood. When I was out there, we hiked into the park and fished the YS in a remote section for crazy cutties. Not sure which, but we were downriver of one of the falls. 

It is inevitable that my trip will be impacted by this even though that stretch of the Missouri is not being directly impacted by the flows on the Yellowstone and tribs. I plan to send money to as many reputable charity efforts I see for the folks out there. 

Some headlines:

Yellowstone's northern half is unlikely to reopen this summer due to severe flooding

A washed out bridge shown along the Yellowstone River Wednesday, June 15, 2022, near Gardiner, Mont.

Yellowstone National Park officials now say some entrances could reopen "as early as this weekend" after historic floods hit Monday.

But, they say, "it is probable that road sections in northern Yellowstone will not re-open this season due to the time required for repairs."

Yellowstone's northern road loop includes the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, popular wildlife viewing areas in the Lamar Valley, and the Mammoth Hot Springs Lodge and park headquarters.

The southern road loop, which sustained less damage, accesses Old Faithful geyser, Yellowstone Lake and a major visitor center. But, Park Superintendent Cam Sholly says, "half the park cannot support all the visitation. So we are exploring a range of options."

Those include possibly a ticketed entry or reservation system. About 4 million people a year visit Yellowstone National Park.

Flood waters around the Park crested late Monday night. Flood warnings or watches remain in effect for several counties downstream on the Yellowstone river and its tributaries.

Governor’s office declares flood disaster

Declaration allows ‘flexibility’ for affected communities to tap state resources.

The office of Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte declared a statewide disaster Tuesday morning in response to severe, destructive flooding in southern Montana and Yellowstone National Park. 

The worst of the flooding has and continues to hit Park, Carbon and Stillwater counties, though the entire state is under a flood warning. The governor’s office said the order, which suspends certain regulations related to motor carriers and allows the state to tap into the General Fund, would “help impacted communities get back on their feet as soon as possible.”

It was Lt. Gov. Kristen Juras — identified as “acting governor” — who signed the order, though this was not publicly communicated until copies of the declaration’s text were distributed later Tuesday. A spokesperson for Gianforte said the governor is out of the country but has been communicating with officials in the state, and that Juras is traveling to Red Lodge, one of the centers of the flooding, in his absence.

“With rapid snowmelt and recent heavy rains, communities in south-central Montana are experiencing severe flooding that is destroying homes, washing away roads and bridges, and leaving Montanans without power and water services,” Gianforte said in a press release.

The state Disaster and Emergency Services division is supporting officials in the three primarily affected counties, the statement said. A spokesperson for the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency said the agency has not yet been asked to respond to the flooding, but that the Montana FEMA Integration Team, which works with Montana DES, is supporting the state. 

Later Tuesday, Gianforte said on Twitter that he is “pursuing an expedited presidential disaster declaration to help cover the costs communities face.”

I returned from my mothers house last night and managed to wait 10 minutes to catch up with my wife before I tore open the box from Bob miser shop. Let’s just say I am beyond happy with the work that Nick Moses did on this handle. Exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high.

The dimensions of the grip, particularly the diameter and the swell, I feel perfect in my hand. That was one of my design objectives and I’m pleased with the outcome. With no guides on the Rod the balance point is just in front of the swell so feels like it’ll be pretty well balanced in actual use. And the interplay between the colors in the real seat insert and the handle is absolutely brilliant.

I am pretty sure I plan to wrap the guides in a simple black, without even a small trim band, just to keep with my original “stealth” theme. But there should be some trim wraps around the logo in the butt section, anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate these colors into some trims?

Of course, the proof is in the cast in, but it is a CTS blank which will wear REC guides so……

C484EE03-9968-4C12-816A-B9A0C77A5D8E.jpeg

CE2FCA2F-6378-4592-80F7-972927FCEF7F.jpeg

7C619DBB-DD1D-4D71-8FD9-CB716101BF1B.jpeg

0B333477-E7CF-4EDC-8494-51E6258C11F6.jpeg

C566E20E-2126-4215-A128-9FF1E630E7E7.jpeg

15 hours ago, flyangler said:

I returned from my mothers house last night and managed to wait 10 minutes to catch up with my wife before I tore open the box from Bob miser shop. Let’s just say I am beyond happy with the work that Nick Moses did on this handle. Exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high.

The dimensions of the grip, particularly the diameter and the swell, I feel perfect in my hand. That was one of my design objectives and I’m pleased with the outcome. With no guides on the Rod the balance point is just in front of the swell so feels like it’ll be pretty well balanced in actual use. And the interplay between the colors in the real seat insert and the handle is absolutely brilliant.

I am pretty sure I plan to wrap the guides in a simple black, without even a small trim band, just to keep with my original “stealth” theme. But there should be some trim wraps around the logo in the butt section, anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate these colors into some trims?

Of course, the proof is in the cast in, but it is a CTS blank which will wear REC guides so……

C484EE03-9968-4C12-816A-B9A0C77A5D8E.jpeg

CE2FCA2F-6378-4592-80F7-972927FCEF7F.jpeg

7C619DBB-DD1D-4D71-8FD9-CB716101BF1B.jpeg

0B333477-E7CF-4EDC-8494-51E6258C11F6.jpeg

C566E20E-2126-4215-A128-9FF1E630E7E7.jpeg

Did you mention weight? I missed it.

2 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Not yet, I will weight it before guides so we know the wieght of just the handle. 

12 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

CTS 10' 5wt blank is 50g or 1.75oz

Weight of my rod is 5.90oz or 167g without guides or epoxy. 

4D8BDDCB-FA4F-4F4C-8623-D7459B3467AA.jpeg.9bbc078c4a0924e9615792945681b20a.jpeg

Weight of guides along is 2.8g or 0.098oz. 

7A8FBBD8-87E2-4D41-A2C0-594983AA6487.jpeg.4b91d759e8af2c6273a61ade8ee09cb5.jpeg

Assuming weight of thread and finish is 2X weight of guides, that's 5.6g or 0.02oz. 

So without doing hard math and quibbling about the weight of thread or epoxy, rounding up suggests the finished rod will be just under 6oz or thereabouts. 

I have no way of gauging swing weight - how does on calculate that? Without knowing that, I find the balance point exactly where I wanted it, just in front of the swell, right where my fat thumb will be when casting. 

C55328AC-817E-4E89-A3F5-46E90A444480.jpeg.58212d4fd83f7185752370cba424af45.jpeg

Based on Trident's mini shootout of 10' 5wt rods, the average weight is ~3oz. So this rod is about twice that. 

62addf4ef1f3e_ScreenShot2022-06-18at10_20_47AM.png.ea6fcca4e47e7cd345c04e838d1a5ec1.png

Keep in mind, Herb says this CTS blank like a line one size up and I am pairing it with the SA Anadros Nymph line which SA says is about 1.5 line weights heavy, so about a 6.5. 

No 10' 6wt shootouts out there but spot-checking individual rods, Douglas has a model at 5.5oz that sports a fighting but similar to my build. Echo offers 10' in 5wt and 6wt which weigh 3.9 and 4.1oz, respectively, both with full wells grips and smaller fighting butts. 

So my build weighs a couple ounces more overall but all that weight is in the grip and butt. The balance point is where I wanted it and for this specific purpose I think that is a fine outcome. 

Edited by flyangler

I do have a WF 6wt floater on one of my older Waterworks ULA reels that I want to cast with this rod just to see how it would do with dry flies if I ever wanted to run it that way. One thing I have been thinking about is those evening wading sessions, after a day on the drift boat, where we might be fishing during the spinner fall or when caddis are ovipositing. Nominally, I would bring a 9' 5wt for such sessions but if the wind is up, a slightly heavier line might come in handy. Since I am leaving the 2pc 6wt at home, this rod could be a stand in. 

Yesterday's river report from shop in Craig. A little high water but that will recede. PMDs are on which is music to my ears. All the talk of nymphs has me thinking the new rod will get some use, especially early in the day. 

Monday Morning Montana Missouri River Fishing Report 6.20.22

Raining hard here today. Expecting an inch. That is a bunch.

Will the two tribs blow out? The Dearborn and Little Prickly Pear? Probably. Will it damage the fishing here? Ohh, maybe the left side outta LPP for a few miles, the Dearborn remains to be seen. It may not happen either. Just speculation here today.

PMD fishing is, fire. Caddis coming on strong.

Nymphers doing well. Lots of hook ups. Sows for the time being with the PMD nymph holding its own. Caddis nymphs too. In the rain, the dirt snake can rule!

Flows falling to 5800cfs today. Will continue to fall as the week progresses.

Most are nymphing out there. A few are tossing dry flies.

In the rain the bugger chuckers can rejoice. Low light conditions make this game rewarding.

Swing up a few on a caddis soft hackle, emerge, leech, or PMD soft hackle too. Stop in for a two handed rod primer. Headhunter is your education source of all things trout spey in Montana, and the only representation of Trout Spey in these parts.

Lots of displaced anglers here from the Yellowstone and parts unknown. We are receiving phone calls for guide trips, lodgings and add’l services. Give us a shout if you need assistance, but be forewarned that we are in peak season, and most, if not all guides and nightly rental properties are full. If you hav e a night open, or an open guide, we will gladly help. But, options are slim. 406-235-3447

Be patient out there. Be nice. Cast well. Enjoy your day.

It’s Monday, and the fish are rising.

DC137404-6E7F-4373-8860-C7422A65E46B.jpeg.1a5e9031ea53afc90d1a3f28e5f9f27e.jpeg

4 mins ago, titleguy said:

My son had a lights out day on Sunday with a massive PMD hatch on the Mo.

now you are making me wet.