dannyplug1

LOOKING FOR A SMALL BASS BOAT FOR LOCAL PONDS

25 posts in this topic

Starting to think about getting a small one or two person boat for fishing bass ponds.  I was thinking a used Coleman crawdad.  question I have are there other boats available in its class?  or should I hunt for a used crawdad in good condition?  Bear in mind I will be fishing it alone and am not Hercules.  I will  be getting a some type of trailer.  thanks for your help charlie

Sea eagle inflatables are great boats the pack7 looks cool. My bud has the 350fx and it’s legit with a 20# trolling motor gets around the lake all day effortlessly 

I have a 14 ft Tracker jon boat that i decked in with plywood and added seats. 9.9 outboard on back. Will be adding bow mount trolling motor next year.

I had a 18 ft Ranger for years but decided to downsize to this boat to fish some smaller bodies of water with limited access. Absolutely love the boat. Both my son and I can stand comfortably in it with good stability. Nice and light to trailer around too.

5536E4A1-DC7F-421E-9858-C17FA05D5A3C.jpeg

99B2EC93-A052-463B-A11A-7C2AAE619703.jpeg

5 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

Starting to think about getting a small one or two person boat for fishing bass ponds.  I was thinking a used Coleman crawdad.  question I have are there other boats available in its class?  or should I hunt for a used crawdad in good condition?  Bear in mind I will be fishing it alone and am not Hercules.  I will  be getting a some type of trailer.  thanks for your help charlie

i would buy used 16' to 19' sheetmetal V boat with 9 HP engene and bow mount electric motor.

i look for best price do not care if it is 16' or biger.

good price ,look for boat with bad engene,take the engene off and put 9.9 hp,that is good on gass and good for troling.

i prefer V boat they are more stable then jon boat.

you can fish any lake with V boat

Second the 14’ Jon boat!! Easy to load on a trailer , deck it over , batteries in the stern , pedestal seats , bow mount trolling motor . Ran a rig like this for 12 years. Stable and light!!’

When I started out fishing bass tourneys, I had a crawdad. I had made a swap with my sister of vehicles after our mom died. I gave her my pick up and car, and my share of moms new toyota, for her old Plymouth Voyager minivan. I took the back seat out and it became my work/fishing vehicle The crawdad slid in and out easily. Two old car batterys and a clamp on MotorGuide trolling motor was all I needed. The hatch on the van wouldnt close fully while the boat was in it, but I was going somewhere at that time anyway. Later I sold that, then I bought a ten foot Jon Boat that fit the same as the crawdad. Later on after that I bought my brothers old 12' Old Towne canoe. Frickin thing had an amazing beam. I stood in that to fish as much as I sat and paddled. 

My point is, dont buy a 20' Ranger to fish little ponds . Size does matter, ;) 

Get what you can handle by yourself. You will be happier.

I’ve bought and sold many small boats over the years. To answer your question  a small Jon boat is very versatile. A question for you, have you had boats in the past? How much do you think you’ll use it? Only asking because even small boats can be a PIA. Between finding and buying one and a trailer and registering boat and trailer and trolling motor and battery and battery charger, oars, life jackets , seats, wiring your vehicle and getting a hitch etc it’s a lot to deal with.  I’m not trying to talk you out of it, they are a lot of fun, but so is fishing from shore at a pond and having a much less complicated time doing it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

What will you be powering with? Are you looking to row, trolling motor, or small gas outboard?

If you want something to toss around and run on human power and electric or 3-5 hp……check out West Marine for a dingy….

Something like the middle one rows real,y easy….and can take low power. You could probably car top it and avoid the trailer. 

F339BDD7-434E-49EB-9C57-D6EE97C0D171.png.45614d29b1b154e8e7d3f2141ee04cf5.png

Edited by aae0130

The pedal kayaks of today have boat level comfort/stability for solo angling. Very happy with my Old Town and double digit hours of fishing on it is totally reasonable from a comfort perspective. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

These work great on small water, I had a pond prowler once upon a time…

Bass Hunter

Pelican bass raider

BPS pond prowler

I think there are a few others as well.

073A5B3A-B98F-44E2-905F-7E9E71E2F6CC.jpeg

5327AE09-F127-4B8F-B242-ED01AB1614D3.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

Danny:

I have had a Crawdad for 38 years and it had serve me very well.  I added additional floorboards, swivel seats, Minkota, fish finder, anchor pulleys, etc.  The skin, being Kevlar, is tough and quiet.  For years I just slid it into my truck bed, but now I trailer it due to CAD.  I don't want to push my luck!!!  A perfect match for ponds/lakes on the East End of LI.  I would guess that all the advice on this string would depend on the size of the bodies of water you fish, as well as overall weather condition extremes you expect to face.

Good luck

My 2c