Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

The issue becomes when a town accepts state money that everybody in the state pays as taxes but treats folks that do not live in their town differently than "residents".  

Town beaches are different from ROW's. If you go to town hall they will tell you where the ROWs are or how to determine where they are.  Many are prob. covered over by weeds or hidden as the neighbors on the beach have no incentive to keep them open/clean/marked.  The bigger problem is finding spots to park.  Many people will ride bikes to those spots and hide their bikes. As with most things if they get too popular/crowded it will cause problems so any people who use those ROW won't be telling others.

Connecticant.  It is ruining this state. One of the reasons population has been declining. 

I fish in other states that are FAR more fisherman and boater friendly. 

Connecticut is pretty lacking in shore access. At least they have a good amount of boat launches. MA is the opposite. We have better shore access but very limited amount of boat launches that aren’t resident only. I’m amazed when I go to Florida and there is free shore access everywhere. 

Almost every town has an interactive GIS map now.  I live in Orange and this is our GIS map   https://hosting.tighebond.com/orangect_public/

Orange has no shoreline access- but you get the idea.  You can click on any parcel and it tells you information on the title owner. 

Very cool tool. Can be used to find rights of way that get you to the shore without tresspassing  and then you are supposed to be able to be below the high water mark but that in itself is a whole other issue as to what the high water mark is. 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:09 AM, z-man said:

Connecticut is pretty lacking in shore access. At least they have a good amount of boat launches. MA is the opposite. We have better shore access but very limited amount of boat launches that aren’t resident only. I’m amazed when I go to Florida and there is free shore access everywhere. 

I respectfully disagree. We have very few launches in the western sound. Westport, then Milford. That is a big gap with only town launches that charge $$$. 

2 hours ago, fishoninct said:

I respectfully disagree. We have very few launches in the western sound. Westport, then Milford. That is a big gap with only town launches that charge $$$. 

The Eastern side of CT is decent. 

I'm in Milford. A couple weeks ago major fight at one of our beaches. All arrested were from out of town. This was a town beach, not Silver Sands which is a state park. Sadly, incidents like these make it tougher for out of town residents to come and enjoy the beaches.  This is one reason non resident fees are so high. You know darn well the towns are trying to keep the riff raff out. It sucks, but such is life.

My nephew just retired from CT State Police. His early years were spent making arrests at Candlewood, Squantz Pond, and other state parks in those areas. Those arrested were always from out of town.

Ever see Sherwood Island state park after s Sunday? Disgusting. Honestly, the fees there should be $50.00 a car, with an extra $20.00 for every person over 8 people in a car.

I'm also pretty sure the monies the towns receives from the state come from the general fund, not specifically earmarked for beaches.

Your fishing and hunting license fees go to the general fund also, and the best way to describe it is, the DEEP sends a bill to the state fund for the amount collected, and used accordingly.

We all now pay extra on vehicle registrations for "free" entry into state parks. Not everyone uses those parks. Does this extra money go to a town's beaches and parks? I doubt it.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:29 PM, Mark L said:

There are zero B&T shops in my town, fuel yes and no food vendors either.  I get what your saying you just want a nice day at the beach with the family.  I can’t fault you for it, I love to go to the beach with my family we have great memories. We used to go to Ocean City NJ and man did we support the economy there. Boardwalk food, beach passes etc I’m all for it.  But no beach passes no beach for you those summer job kids checking take no sh.t. Pay or get off scary little fers. Lol

I want to know what Shoreline town in CT doesn't have a food vendor, ie restaurant, food truck or convenience store....

Was running through the coastal towns in my head and couldn't figure this one out...

4 mins ago, MikeK said:

I want to know what Shoreline town in CT doesn't have a food vendor, ie restaurant, food truck or convenience store....

Was running through the coastal towns in my head and couldn't figure this one out..

15 mins ago, MikeK said:

Yes, but literally 100s of restaurants, bars and delis package stores that people support.  

Just because a town has bars, restaurants, excetera it doesn't mean anybody who's using the beach in that town has to spend a dime in that town. 

Some years back a friends daughter was a lifeguard at one of the beaches here in Milford. Lived in next town over. Had her car parked at beach lot where she was a lifeguard, Didn't live here, so no Milford beach sticker. And Milford PD tagged here car. Ticket was for some outrageous amount. Father who was a fireman in the town where they lived went and pleaded her case at headquarters...to no avail.

Safe to say that at the time those PD members were just being pricks about it. I believe when her father went to PD they/she were given stickers for their cars.

Back then you were issued stickers once, and it stayed with your car forever. So if car was sold to an out of towner, they got a free beach sticker out of the deal. Then when someone figured it out Milford finally went to a yearly sticker.

All kinds of security measures taken here at the beaches since the Memorial Day fight.  You'd have a better chance of getting into Fort Knox.

My own personal view? I could care less who comes to use the beaches,as long as they keep it clean, and don't create problems. Same as would be expected of myself if I was going to the beach.

And on another note, Seems one beach closest to me has plenty of out of town folk using the beaches for fishing, usually evenings. I see PD pass through all the time without an issue.

They're clean, seem respectable. Don't know what they're catching. I hope they're keeping it legal.