Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Saw this in the RI section. 

Right Of Way (ROW)

So I thought maybe DEEP had a similar tab on our shore access map.   And we do. But man is it dismal.  

Read a blurb on how 80% of our coast is private.  Towns are charging ridiculously high beach fees. Westport takes the cake at nearly $800 a year.     For basically a parking spot.  

Guess I'll go be poor somewhere else

Access in our state sucks. That said, there are nice state parks all along the shoreline that are "free" (paid by CT residents through car registration.) Bluff Point, Hammo, Silver Sands, Sherwood Island (to name just a couple) are all open, have plenty of amenities, and have really good fishing. You can still be poor and enjoy the beach :)

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Saw this in the RI section. 

Right Of Way (ROW)

So I thought maybe DEEP had a similar tab on our shore access map.   And we do. But man is it dismal.  

Read a blurb on how 80% of our coast is private.  Towns are charging ridiculously high beach fees. Westport takes the cake at nearly $800 a year.     For basically a parking spot.  

Guess I'll go be poor somewhere else

so does your town have any recreational facilities that charges people to visit?

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

so does your town have any recreational facilities that charges people to visit?

No.  

4 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

Access in our state sucks. That said, there are nice state parks all along the shoreline that are "free" (paid by CT residents through car registration.) Bluff Point, Hammo, Silver Sands, Sherwood Island (to name just a couple) are all open, have plenty of amenities, and have really good fishing. You can still be poor and enjoy the beach :)

Pretty much what we do. 

27 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

No.  

Would I be able to send my child to a school in your town for free?

so you and your town have chosen to not spend any money on decent recreational things (golf course, pond, etc) in an attempt to keep taxes low and you want to be able to access Westport's facilities where people pay taxes to support those facilities (not only a 'parking lot" but life guards, attendants, police, paving, cleaning the sand a few times a week, the concession stand, lose of taxes etc, etc)?

4 hours ago, PaulS said:

Would I be able to send my child to a school in your town for free?

so you and your town have chosen to not spend any money on decent recreational things (golf course, pond, etc) in an attempt to keep taxes low and you want to be able to access Westport's facilities where people pay taxes to support those facilities (not only a 'parking lot" but life guards, attendants, police, paving, cleaning the sand a few times a week, the concession stand, lose of taxes etc, etc)?

No you wouldn't.  And I don't agree with it.  

We all pay state and federal taxes.  They all get state and federal funding.  And I think we should all have equal access. 

And we all pay city property taxes so my paying property taxes in my town gives me no right to some of the things you have a right to in your town as you pay for them.

Posted (edited)

And why not?   

Drive on the roads.  They get plowed and maintained.  Walk on the sidewalks.  Cops firemen emts don't say "ohh sorry, your not from around here..." 

Btw. Completely unrelated, but what reel is that in your avatar?  I like it.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Every town that owns any recreational facility that charges residents charges a much higher fee for non-residents. You don't have a problem with it because your town has chosen not to spend money for those type of facilities. Other towns have taken the opposite and invested in those Recreation facilities and their residents pay more money in taxes as a result. Why should non-residents be able to use those facilities that the residents of those towns pay extra taxes for?   

I agree with Paul it’s up to the town.  My town put a parking ban on streets close to the beach.  Me personally I would have made it a half mile stretch. Beach goers are not bringing in money so why let them in. Actually they cost us money, garbage pick up, beach cleaning etc.  I pay way too much in taxes to not being able to sit on my section of beach.  If one wants to play they pay.  This is the world I live in not every body is gonna get what they want.  

How do I not bring in money?

I'm only at the beach to fish btw.    I can only speak for my family & myself.  

I buy fuel

I buy food & drinks

I buy bait & tackle.   

I'm already dropping a few hundred. 

Plus all the taxes to the state & feds that provide $$$ to local recs.  

Plus Fishing licenses.  

Lately, if I think a town has bent over backwards to block people from access to the ocean, with high fees and removal of parking, I won't spend a cent in that town.  

I really wasn't thinking of a spot on the pretty little sand, just a gateway to waters I support.  But I see that they go hand in hand. 

Compo beach in Westport doesn't have fuel or bait and tackle so your not adding anything there.  

A hedge fund manager in Westport doesn't care that an out of towner's beach pass may lower his taxes $50 per year.  He cares that if he wants to go to the beach, he will have a parking spot. 

I just rode a bike through Fairfield, Westport, Norwalk and Darien.  I could have rode into each of those beaches and no one cares.  Todd's point may be different.

There are zero B&T shops in my town, fuel yes and no food vendors either.  I get what your saying you just want a nice day at the beach with the family.  I can’t fault you for it, I love to go to the beach with my family we have great memories. We used to go to Ocean City NJ and man did we support the economy there. Boardwalk food, beach passes etc I’m all for it.  But no beach passes no beach for you those summer job kids checking take no sh.t. Pay or get off scary little fers. Lol