REFINISHING AND STAINING FURNITURE

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

My wife asked me to refinish the coffee table.  It looks like cherry and has some water stains.  I sanded down the table to bare wood but I still can see some water stains.  Couple of questions: how do I get out the water stains?  Oxylatic acid?  Next should I use a stain conditioner before I apply stain?  I know that a stain conditioner is necessary before staining soft wood like pine before staining.  Not sure if the wood is cherry or mahogany.  But I am sure it is a hard wood.  Thanks for the help.  Charlie 

You can try oxalic acid- it sometimes works. But it may bleach the wood around it too, so be cautious and just put it on the stain.  And be sure to neutralize it. I am not a huge fan of staining cherry My wife did want some very dark (tobacco) stained furniture.  Looks fine, but I think it hides the beauty of the cherry. . FWIW, not all hard woods stain well- some will get blotchy just like pine.  Cherry and maple are amongst them So use a stain conditioner.. I don't know about mahogany, but the pores on mahogany do look differ6ent than cherry.  Cherry will darken up pretty nicely on its own given enough time.