vce12342000

A comparison between the Shimano Stella 2018 to 2022

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Finally received my Shimao Stella FK 1000 in the mail a few days ago. I was waiting for sometime as these was on back order:cry:. With me sending out my older 2014 for maintenance . I had to get something to replace it with to keep my fishing going. So I picked up the 2018 model to use for a while. While I waited to for 1 of them to arrive. Well lucky I did. My 2014 is waiting on parts on back order. They told me it mite be a few months before I get it back :cry:. But anyway. As the story goes.

I used it for a few days straight. This 2022 model is incredibly smooth. The line management system is excellent. The spool retrieve is extremely slow allowing the line to lay almost perfect side by side. When casting this allows the line to peel of the spool effortlessly. The drag system is great. the reel is definitely an improvement over the past generations.   

Inclused is a few fish for your viewing pleasure that I caught with it breaking it in :laugh::laugh:

286214782_700201634574564_3841871645219527761_n.jpg

283777678_690080255586702_5286284435147301118_n.jpg

275385144_642072923720769_5572109391417688018_n.jpg

275441609_642073097054085_215075534652779935_n.jpg

117062068_284963162765082_512507912364511891_o.jpg

Edited by vce12342000

Stellas are out of my priced range, but a great reel is a great reel.   I really appreciate nice equipment…. And fish. Thanks for the report.  
Butch. 

Stella paired with a G Loomis:  I can only dream... 

Had to settle for the St Croix pairing and love my older ones, except the cheap handle cover that gets sticky over time and falls apart.  

7 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Stellas are out of my priced range, but a great reel is a great reel.   I really appreciate nice equipment…. And fish. Thanks for the report.  
Butch. 

there not exactly in my price range either;). I had to eat alot of P&J sandwich's :laugh::laugh:

7 hours ago, KnewBee said:

Stella paired with a G Loomis:  I can only dream... 

Had to settle for the St Croix pairing and love my older ones, except the cheap handle cover that gets sticky over time and falls apart.  

St Croix is good rods. I have 2. I keep 1 in my service van in case I run into some new water.

Congrats on the new reel VCE. It is beautiful and I know what you mean about the performance. 

I used to buy a new rod and reel every year or so and after 45 years I had a lot of good stuff that performed reasonable well, but much of it was either worn out or obsolete compared to the new stuff.

15 years ago I decided to invest in better performing tackle and never went back. Now I only buy a new reel or rod every 3 or 4 years, but the rods and reels perform much better and last longer. I no longer have a boat and I am more specialized in my fishing so it seemed like it was time for a change.

Light, sensitive, low memory rods with great components and reels that are quiet, smooth, handle the line well and cast great are a pleasure to fish with.  As you know, it is hard to go back to the heavier less sensitive rods and the typical egg beaters.

6 hours ago, Long Wader said:

Congrats on the new reel VCE. It is beautiful and I know what you mean about the performance. 

I used to buy a new rod and reel every year or so and after 45 years I had a lot of good stuff that performed reasonable well, but much of it was either worn out or obsolete compared to the new stuff.

15 years ago I decided to invest in better performing tackle and never went back. Now I only buy a new reel or rod every 3 or 4 years, but the rods and reels perform much better and last longer. I no longer have a boat and I am more specialized in my fishing so it seemed like it was time for a change.

Light, sensitive, low memory rods with great components and reels that are quiet, smooth, handle the line well and cast great are a pleasure to fish with.  As you know, it is hard to go back to the heavier less sensitive rods and the typical egg beaters.

Thank you sir.....I really picked up my game after the spring fling many years ago.  Learning from you guys on what type of tackle & equipment to purchase. Locally I was only fishing for stocked trout. So I stayed in the medium priced tier stuff. But when I spun some of your guys stuff. It really opened my eyes to the top tier stuff. 

I wasnt really planning on getting the 2018 model stella. Until they told me that it mite be a few months before I get my 2014 model back. I had already pre-purchased the 2022 model a few months prior. But without any reel. I purchased the 2018 as it was readily in stock. Then boom the 2022 came in the mail a week later. 

I was disappointed that someone in the main forum posted that Shimano discontinued the platinum service program. I had just sent this out before hearing this. So I guess I just made it just in time. I mite have to swing over to the Daiwa side & check out the exist when my next purchase comes up    

On 6/9/2022 at 4:00 PM, vce12342000 said:

there not exactly in my price range either;). I had to eat alot of P&J sandwich's :laugh::laugh:

Sounds like something I would do! Anyway thanks for the 2022 review, I'm sure it will help someone in the market. I remember being a young man in high school looking through the Cabela's catalog and thinking the Shimano Stella was the holy grail. In the meanwhile I'd convince my parents to buy me the Cabela's Fish Eagle II and a cheap casting combo as a graduation present. I find myself using baitcasters with greater frequency now. To be honest I think I've touched my spinning rod once this year, so the Stella is just not practical for my fishing - still I'm sure the experience fishing one is top notch! Enjoy it!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought a couple of the Cabela's Fish Eagles in the late 70's and early 80's and they were good performing workhorse rods that were tough. I had one light one I used for trout and smallmouths and medium heavy I used bass and pike for many years. I also had one of the Cabela's C44x trout rods which was the best ultra light rod I ever used until I got some of the G. Loomis X series rods.  I think the C44x on built for Cabela's on one of the early G, Loomis X series blanks.

G. Loomis refined the X series blanks a couple of years ago and they get very good reviews, however I have not had a chance to use one.

Edited by Long Wader